Loud whistle for Morris?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Anyanka
antispam: No

Loud whistle for Morris?

Post by Anyanka »

I've just started playing out with a Morris side. On Saturday (St George's Day), I was occasionally wedged between two melodeons, an accordion and a fiddle, and could barely hear my little Dixon alloy! Which high D whistle would be best for that kind of situation?
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Loud whistle for Morris?

Post by bogman »

Every Dixon I've tried has been very quiet. If you're looking for a loud inexpensive whistle then a Susato is probably more suitable.
Last edited by bogman on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
technowhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Something like a susato?

I have one that I don't play actually, it's a non-tunable, ridiculously loud whistle. Plays nicely. PM me if interested would ask about £15 free postage.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Thanks, but... I have one Susato (low G) which I loathe. My least favourite whistle... Any other suggestions? Inexpensive is good.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Try a new direction and get a tabor pipe (Generation makes an inexpensive one) They're traditional for Morris, quite piercing and it leaves you one hand free to smack those nasty box players (oops, looked at your avatar–never mind).

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
bogman

Post by bogman »

Never heard a G but the D Susato is not a bad whistle for the price. Here's a clip of Cormac Breatnach playing one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UWHg6BbfLU
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Anyanka wrote:Thanks, but... I have one Susato (low G) which I loathe. My least favourite whistle... Any other suggestions?
Yes, buy the Susato. I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck either. The Susato high D is probably the best bang for the buck in a loud high D whistle. Do the O-ring tweak or learn to play it as it stands. They need to be played aggressively. You have to put a lot of air through them. They are good whistles, just somewhat mis-understood. :lol: Oh, and I really liked the Susato Kildare Low G I owned for several years.

At the other end of the cost spectrum is a Copeland, very good sound, very well made and very loud. You'd be heard in all circumstances. Between those would be the Water Weasel, if you can find one.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
bogman

Post by bogman »

The clip I posted is actually a C whistle but It'll give you an idea.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Goldie high Ds are pretty loud but a pretty penny too. I was out at Uffington White Horse for St. George's Day and could be heard over 3 melodeons and 2 concertinas which is the only reason I mention it. Useless info, huh!. :)
Other than the Susato how about a Syn tuneable D for £61. See the description at Big Whistle
The Parks from £40 is reasonably loud. I have the Every and play it at sessions where it cuts through all the melodeons. See Phil's video, again at Big Whistle

HTH
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Hoopy Mike might have a high D Susato to trade for your low G. :poke:
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a Garry Somers D for sale (see the instrument exchange forum). Wide bore aluminium, clear and flute like and a strong voice.

Just thought I'd drop a hint Image
My brain hurts

hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

DrPhill wrote:Hoopy Mike might have a high D Susato to trade for your low G. :poke:
My thoughts exactly! Actually I wondered about that even before I read this thread. Would that be ok with you, Phil? I meant to send you a thank you for the Susato - send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll post you a little something...
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

hoopy mike wrote:
DrPhill wrote:Hoopy Mike might have a high D Susato to trade for your low G. :poke:
My thoughts exactly! Actually I wondered about that even before I read this thread. Would that be ok with you, Phil? I meant to send you a thank you for the Susato - send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'll post you a little something...
Perfectly all right by me Mike. I wondered if you would be hesitating, or else I would not have spoken.

PM sent.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

There are few high D whistles that are as loud as the Chieftain Mezzo D - excellent for playing in a train station, airport tarmac, or football arena.

http://kerrywhistles.com/products.php

The down side is that these whistles can be difficult to control in the upper notes.
bogman

Post by bogman »

The Chieftain is very loud right enough, but unless you get an unusual good one it's not going to be worth anything near what they go for. I used to have one and was embarrassed just to give it away. Very poor tuning and balance.