questions about the royal wedding?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

questions about the royal wedding?

Post by mutepointe »

There are plenty of brits on this site. I don't see these questions being addressed in the press and believe me you, there isn't a subject too minor about this wedding that hasn't been covered:
1. Wazzup with getting married on a Friday?
2. And 4am in the morning too? Couldn't they book a hall for Saturday?
3. Will you all get the day off? Will this become a national holiday? If you got to work that day, do you get time and a half?
4. Where are they registered?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: questions about the royal wedding?

Post by benhall.1 »

1. What's wrong with a Friday?
2. Are you really that bothered aboutb seeing it live? Will you stay up to watch?
3. Yes, it's yet another Bank Holiday, as we call them. Which means that there are two 4-day weekends in a row. Overtime rates are paid when people work these holidays, often at double time plus a day in lieu. Small business is losing a fortune this April, either because staff are having all the days off, or because of overtime rates. And that at a time when we really can't afford it. But we soldier on. Some staff were quick to notice, of course, that, by just taking three days off as holiday (what you guys call 'Annual Leave, I think, the days in question being next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) they are able to have 11 days off work in a row.
4. I don't really understand this last question. They'll sign the register in Westminster Abbey, I should think. That would be the norm, to sign at the church where you get married. Is this what you meant?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:I don't really understand this last question. They'll sign the register in Westminster Abbey, I should think. That would be the norm, to sign at the church where you get married. Is this what you meant?
No ... Here it's common for the bride and groom to sign up in advance for the Wedding Registry at a large store like Harrods. They make a list of things they'd like to receive as wedding gifts. Then guests can consult the registry and select from the list and cross it off - knowing that they're giving something that the couple actually wants, and not duplicating others.

Yes, it's a scam. :wink: But I suppose it's better than receiving 15 toasters. Does Kate like toast?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh ... that sort of Registry. We do have Wedding Lists - we just use the word "List" instead of "Registry".
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Your first reply has the tone of a small business owner. Did you not think people would figure out the holiday bonanza? Workers Unite against the man!

Saturday is the day to get married in the USA. If you're picking another day, it's because you "have to" for some reason or another. I thought there might be some reason, like not having to pay the extra security overtime for working the weekend.
白飞梦
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

mutepointe wrote:Saturday is the day to get married in the USA. If you're picking another day, it's because you "have to" for some reason or another. I thought there might be some reason, like not having to pay the extra security overtime for working the weekend.
And I thought the U.S.A is the land of the free!

That is a kind thought about saving some pay for all the extra police officers on duty! And it is an even kinder thought as the "security" is paid out of the tax coffers, not the royal purse.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I think Saturday is the usual day to get married here, too. Although my last available niece is getting married this August on a Thursday, which causes some problems ...

I am a small business owner. But I've decided to play by the rules (actual or implied) and not take the bait and get drawn into any sort of political debate. So yes, Workers Unite!

:D

[Cross-post with Hans. Actually, I think maybe it won't save money on overtime. It's a Bank Holiday, you see. :D ]
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hans wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Saturday is the day to get married in the USA. If you're picking another day, it's because you "have to" for some reason or another. I thought there might be some reason, like not having to pay the extra security overtime for working the weekend.
And I thought the U.S.A is the land of the free!

That is a kind thought about saving some pay for all the extra police officers on duty! And it is an even kinder thought as the "security" is paid out of the tax coffers, not the royal purse.
The USA is the land of little old ladies who will nit-pick this wedding to death.
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Oh, and I have no intentions of watching the wedding but there is going to be something on every channel on every 5 minutes so I'm sure I'll see part of it.

(I have a degree in Business and one of the courses that was required was Labor Economics. Every time I answered an essay question on an exam, I answered the question from the labor point of view which did not do my grade a bit of good but the answer made sense to me. Sometimes the instructor was kind that my response was an interesting perspective.)
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Oh, and I have no intentions of watching the wedding but there is going to be something on every channel on every 5 minutes so I'm sure I'll see part of it.
I'll break down and watch it only if it's on Syfy. That would somehow be so right.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've booked a copy of Alice's Restaurant as part of the informal Cinematic Education of number one son. At least, that's the official line.
One of my friends down in the West Country was planning on visiting Avebury that Friday. He has had to cancel, as the train prices have doubled for that day.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I see that Kate Middleton and I had something in common until March 10th. We were both baptized in the Church of England but now she has been confirmed.

Long ago I realized if I moved into a boarding house I might be considered an unconfirmed roomer.
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote: Saturday is the day to get married in the USA. If you're picking another day, it's because you "have to" for some reason or another. I thought there might be some reason,....
We'll find out one way or the other within eight months, I'll bet. Aren't most weddings in WV because "you have to"?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dwest wrote:
mutepointe wrote: Saturday is the day to get married in the USA. If you're picking another day, it's because you "have to" for some reason or another. I thought there might be some reason,....
We'll find out one way or the other within eight months, I'll bet. Aren't most weddings in WV because "you have to"?
When it comes to weddings, I proudly claim my status as a native of Southwestern Pennsylvania where folks know how to throw a wedding reception with fried chicken, halupki, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, bun, and an open bar with beer and hard liquor and either a DJ or a live polka band. I had to ask someone what was going on at the first WV wedding reception I attended. There were crudites, cookies, punch (ha!) and wedding cake. No bar, no band, no fun.
白飞梦
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Personally I think I will head to Girvan festival to try and avoid seeing it :sleep:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps