My first Goldie whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
technowhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

My first Goldie whistle

Post by technowhistle »

Just a public thank you to Colin Goldie of Goldie whisltes and Phil at Big Whistle.

The whistle is a march 2011 High D tunable Goldie medium blower; It is my first Goldie or Overton.

Once warmed up it's fantastic. But when playing straight from the postman's hands I thought it might be faulty, but it was just cold. (I do this with every aluminium whistle; that is, think it's faulty at first! Silly me!)

Being a medium blower it requires some moderate push and each note seems to have space to play soft or hard. Which makes the dynamics good and the volume quite loud.

But I'll let others more knowledgeable talk about how and why the whistle plays how it does.

Also, if Jerry Freeman happens to happens to read this, I bought one of his A whistles from big whistle. Plays + sounds like the perfect Gen (but obviously lower in tone). Witchcraft!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Chino

Re: My first Goldie whistle

Post by Chino »

I've got 4 Overton whistles made by Colin (Low Bb, Low C, Low D and Low Eb), and they're all great with no exception. I had to sell a low F which was fantastic too.

I just ordered a low C sharp (tunable), I can't wait!
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I have a Goldie (Overton) High D and Alto G. They're great whistles!

I also like the tonal variation when I push them a little.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Another fan here (both of Colin Goldie and Phil at Big Whistle). I got a high D for Christmas. Fabulous whistle.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

I now have 3 Goldies = high D, high F, and alto G. The D and F whistles are 2 of my absolute favorites, and they will definitely maintain permanent places in my collection. I am now looking forward to a fourth (low D) that I recently traded for, and I plan to order a low F from Colin later this year when things settle down for him a little. He has become my first choice in whistle makers in the past year.

By the by, if anyone has a high Eb Goldie they aren't playing, I'd be interested in obtaining it... :)
Playing, not paying.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I cherish my Goldie A. It's one of the whistles I play every day and the only one my wife asks for me to play. I really want a plain D. Don't even need it to be tunable. Someday....maybe someone on C&F will get tired of theirs and offer it up. Hint..hint..
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Awww, get the tunable version - it's only like $50 more :wink: . Mine became my go-to high D within a month of receiving it. I generally don't care that much whether a whistle is tunable or not... I think some people get a little obsessed with "options" - as if they were fashion accessories to their own personalities - "status," and such.... But this is one case where I am glad to have gotten a tunable version, because this is the D whistle I play anywhere and everywhere now.

... quite ironic, considering how much I detest aluminum as a general rule...
Playing, not paying.
woodfluter

Post by woodfluter »

I've just recently become a fan. I lucked onto a high D non-tunable Overton on eBay. I usually wouldn't be that interested in non-tunable, but I just had to go for it. Much to my surprise, it's capable of being played perfectly in pitch when warm, at A=440, and yes you do indeed have more flexibility in pitch in both registers. Which is good but demands that much more attention!

I love it. Less shrill in the high notes and indefinable, lovely tone. Works wonderfully through a good mic and sound system. I thought I was in remission, but now WhOA is creeping back. It must be a virus that goes dormant for years, then suddenly you've got shingles, or whistles.

- Bill
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

On my Goldie high D, there seems to be a gap of breath pressure needed to go between the octaves - compared with other whistles. This caught me out at first because I was so used to playing other whistles but now I wouldn't have anything else. I'm probably unqualified to talk about this but what-the-hey!

Code: Select all

Goldie:

c#   |
b    |
a    |
g    |
f#   |
e    |
d    |
     |
     |----Gap
     |
C#   |
B    |
A    |
G    |
F#   | 
E    |
D    |

Code: Select all

Some other whistles:

c#   |
b    |
a    |
g    |
f#   |
e    |
d    |
C#   |----No gap/possible overlap.
B    |
A    |
G    |
F#   | 
E    |
D    |
Also I must add; the amount of notes I can get out on this medium blower whistle with one breath is amazing compared with some other whistles!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

I've ended up having 4 Goldie high D's as well as other keys and I wouldn't part with any of them. Goldie whistles can be brought up to the best temperature in seconds simply by covering the sound hole and blowing hard with a dry mouth. 10 or 20 seconds does it and then whether tuneable or not they'll play perfectly in concert pitch. Like most good hand made instruments you have to learn to play them individually to get the best of them. They never stop surprising.