The Best Whistle Ever In most Music stores?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

You're welcome, Freeman, and I'm glad you won't take my water for what ah said.

But you knew already it's not the instrument (f.i. Stradivarius) that makes the violin<b>ist</b> or fiddlle-<b>her</b>.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

And of course,

There are some accomplished players of the violin who perform both classical and traditional music. These are known as violiddlerists or fiddlelinisters, violiddlerist being the more accepted usage.

Best wishes,
Jerry

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-02-21 10:01 ]</font>
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Hey Conley!

Another whistling Utahn! Welcome! Whereabouts in Utah do you live? There are a few other whistlers here--me, Sunnywindo, Brian Lee, Susanfx. Did I miss any, guys?

Again, welcome!

:smile:
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2003-02-20 22:56, msheldon wrote:
The Low Bb that Sean played looked to be either an Overton or a Chieftain. I saw others that were also aluminum Overtons or Chieftains.
They're Kerry Pros.

Regarding the Susato recorder sound, it can sound just a touch that way to the player but not to the listener. It's something to do with where your ears are in relation to your mouth - in the same way that your voice sounds different to you as it does to others (though for additional reasons too in that example). That's probably why they sound better when Lunasa play them, in addition to the fact that the guys are rather good players too.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-21 08:34, Jerry Freeman wrote:
Redwolf, et al.,

You do know I'm pulling your leg, yes?

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. Conley, thanks for the clarification.

P.P.S. Based on the information Kevin has provided, it may be that Mary Bergin could be classified as a whistlerist. However, we would have to resolve the question of whether a person who plays classical music on the whistle, that was not specifically written for whistle could be classified as a whistlist. (I believe they would, but others' opinions on this may differ.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-02-21 08:42 ]</font>
Ya got me! :lol:

Redwolf
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Never understood why so many say Susatos sound like recorders.

One may dislike their sound, OK.
What I personnally hold against them most is that the second octave gets really noisier than first. It's not the sheer volume (Copeland is on par), it's the raise, the unbalance.

Also I don't care too much for the hole, er, right-hand second fingern, no this would be the index! ok, right-hand second hole :wink: which is oblong, bean shaped, on their low F.

Anyway, to me the characteristic "recorder" sound is pure yes, but rather meek, and especially at low end. Little to do with Susatos character IMHO.

Is this all because Susato also sell recorders, or because they are made of the same shiny black or brown plastic as <i>cheap, school-grade</i> recorders ?
WhistlingGypsy

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

A friend of mine who plays at our sessions plays a Susato D. I tried it last night for the first time and was really surprised ~ what a great whistle. Great back pressure, lovely tone (doesn't sound like a recorder to me)and plays really well in both octaves. I would certainly buy one ~ actually I probably will.

I did own a Susato Low D a few years back which I did not like at all.
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I've been playing "at" the whistle for several years. About 2 years ago I ordered a Susato D (untapered bore) and a Sweetone. I played a Clarke original for a year or two before that.
I have really tried to like the Susato. I have picked up the Susato and played it many times as my playing improved. I still think it has a "plastic-like" "buzz", and in my opinion, it does sound like very much like a soprano recorder. I have one of those made by Yamaha. Also the upper register just refuses to sound "sweet".
Maybe I got a bad whistle, or maybe it's the whistler, but I just don't like my Susato. I've already expressed my opinion about the Sweetone, so I won't do that in this post. :smile:
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Well, deep thoughts by Nhoj M-CHaffie. :grin:

There is a local gentleman who owns several diff types of whistles (can you tell I am slightly jealous?) including Susato, mine, Hoover, Chieftain, Kelly, TnG (something like that?), etc, etc, and of course several Gens and Clarkes. He also has a few Burkes.Around 30 in all.

As far as the Susato goes... when he plays it, and I'm in the crowd, it sounds quite good. Up close or when he let me play it, it had the "feel" of a recorder (if you can figure that one out) but it did seem to play just fine. The only place I had trouble with it was in the 2nd A and up, it got BARELY raspy, kind of like a recorder. Still though, I would never compare a very fine whistle to a recorder. If nothing else, for fear of being struck dead by whatever God(s) you believe in! :smile: And like I said... you could not tell any of that from the audience... it sounded quite good... and LOUD.

It's all preference and interpretation anyway, but hey... I had to put my $.02 in. :grin:

Take care all,
John

P.S. One last thing... the mouthpiece plug pops out and pops back in.. can't believe I'm saying this but, oh yeah that's helicool! :grin:
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

Hi all,

I own several Susato whistles (soprano D, alto A, and Tenor D) and think all three are great instruments. The soprano D has volume in spades but once you get above the high G it tends to be pretty shrill and makes the people sitting near me cringe... to be honest it makes me cringe too. Great whistle for a loud session or a noisy pub but a little too much volume for the less noisy venues. Similar story for the alto A and tenor D but without as much volume and lacking the shrillness. The really killer thing about Susatos is that they are actually in tune! Well, most of the time anyway. You're odds of getting an in tune Susato are about 1000% better than finding an in tune Generation.

That said, I prefer the Generation to the Susato most of the time simply because the metal body of the Generation seems to produce a "sweeter" more traditional sound than the plastic bodied Susato. I guess it has to do with the way the material resonates or something... or maybe it's just my ears.

That's my 2 cents.

All the best,
Wes
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Jerry do you say these words before you write them down. Do you know that my day is now cursed with a phililogical diocamatical?
I can`t even read your last post with out hyperventickuulating.

:grin:

Tom
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Worse things have happened, Tom.

If it isn't better in the morning, you may want to have it looked at.

Best wishes,
Jerry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On 2003-02-21 11:38, Zubivka wrote:
Anyway, to me the characteristic "recorder" sound is pure yes, but rather meek, and especially at low end. Little to do with Susatos character IMHO.
Actually, fine Baroque wooden recorders have a strong, somewhat "edgey" sound, very penetrating, and they have a fairly loud tone and project well. Their upper register is softer than their lower, as well, which is opposite a whistle.

They do not have a pure sound at all--it is very rich in harmonics, and has an almost oboe-like edge to the sound.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

On 2003-02-21 09:15, Jerry Freeman wrote:
Oh, yes. Thanks, Zoob for reminding me.

A person who plays non-classical, non-artsyfartsy music on the recorder is technically classified as a recorderer, the term recorderist being reserved for the more high-brow categories.

I'm glad to have had a chance to clear that up.

Best wishes,
Jerry
RecorderISTS will not stoop to playing a cheap grade-school recorder, whereas recorderERS will go out of their way to buy one. (Is there such a thing as ROA?)

RecorderISTS tongue between every non-consecutive note because that little "blip" while you change fingerings is "unacceptable". RecorderERS call this "ornamentation".

RecorderISTS will play O'Carolan tunes, but that is as "low" as they will go. RecorderERS will also play O'Carolan tunes, but that is as "high" as they will go.

With this in mind, I'm on YOUR side! :grin:

Slainte,
Jim the RecorderER

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrassBlower on 2003-02-21 15:14 ]</font>
Fun4Bambi

Post by Fun4Bambi »

On 2003-02-21 15:13, BrassBlower wrote:
(Is there such a thing as ROA?)
You better believe it!

Cross-fippler, and proud of it :smile: