Altan - the Sunset (Fnat)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Altan - the Sunset (Fnat)

Post by brewerpaul »

HALF HOLE
It's really not hard to learn, and you can use the same simple skill to play good Cnat,G#,Bb,Eb, etc. Why wouldn't you want to be able to play all of those notes?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

brewerpaul wrote:HALF HOLE
It's really not hard to learn, and you can use the same simple skill to play good Cnat,G#,Bb,Eb, etc. Why wouldn't you want to be able to play all of those notes?
:-? What we've been saying, Paul, re: the F nats, anyway. ('Cos there's no alternative - did you read the thread?)

But why (I know, oooolllddd hobby horse!) would you/I/the OP/anyone in their right mind want to use half-holing when there are good, simple (and easier, more reliable) cross-fingerings available? :wink: :devil:

Half-hole when you've no alternative or if you want a special effect, sure, but for routine accidentals, if you can (i.e. your instrument allows),
CROSS FINGER!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Belgian_Waffle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

As to avoid any future Anglo-American conflicts, the Belgian has found a compromise : I'll learn 'm both (in due time) !!

Thanks for video, Jem, it's most instructional...
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Here's another take on the tune from a guy in Spain with a bag on his head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V9Xoi7KCw
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

O'Brien wrote:Here's another take on the tune from a guy in Spain with a bag on his head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V9Xoi7KCw
As in "quite another take"! Too fast, no F naturals in B2 , not even an attempt at them or a fudge avoidance that preserves/allows for the tonal shift.... just repeats B1.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

O'Brien wrote:Here's another take on the tune
Ay caray, yikes.
from a guy in Spain with a bag on his head
El saco de vergüenza ...

OK, the guy doesn't claim to be an experienced player. Vale vale ...

I'm not sure what Cathal McConnell intended originally, I don't have that particular BotL recording. But eliminating the F-nat variation seems like a reasonable folk thing to do. Paddy and Bridget (Isao and Masako) play the simplified setting on their recording (the 2nd one).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:I'm not sure what Cathal McConnell intended originally, I don't have that particular BotL recording. But eliminating the F-nat variation seems like a reasonable folk thing to do.
It's not often I disagree with The Guru, but I do here. I don't know an original BOTL recording - I had it from the Altan album with Frankie Kennedy playing it on flute. Sure, playing the B music the same both times would be musically satisfactory and internally valid if one had not heard it with the B2 Fnats, but having done so, and assuming they are part of the original composition, not someone else's later addition/variation, they seem to me to be literally essential - to omit them betrays the tune. And dang it, it's not like they're difficult or a major technical challenge to include! Playing the B music the same both times is IMO both a bad cop-out and just plain wrong.

Moreover, if the Fnats are original, to propagate or condone a bowdlerised version seems, well, at best 'unfortunate'.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

jemtheflute wrote:assuming they are part of the original composition, not someone else's later addition/variation
But that's my point exactly, Jem. The tune was written by Cathal McConnell (with fiddler Séamus Quinn), and recorded by Cathal and the Boys of the Lough on their album "In the Tradition".

According to the Altan liner notes: "It was Belfast flute player Gary Hastings and Ciarán Curran who first brought this lovely tune to our attention."

I can understand respecting the composer's original intent as one approach. In this case I have no idea what that was, not having heard Cathal's own setting. And fair play to Altan if they've improved on the original and created an indispensable F-nat earworm. :-) But there's nothing sacred about Altan's setting of someone else's tune. Or anyone's setting of any tune, really.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Belgian_Waffle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

Cathal McConnell plays this tune on whistle ('In The Tradition', Boys of the Lough) with bars 1-8 of the B-part simply repeated intstead of continuing to bars 9-16. I don't know whether that is the 'original' version or if he just simplified it slighlty to make it more whistle friendly. He'd be entitled to - he half wrote it, after all.

This a quote from the session.org. Seems the fnats are an Altan thing. Nice but not original. So no dissing the Spanish bagboy except for speeding :)

And, Jem, I found another video of someone doing this tune on a flute. Well played, too ! With the fnats included.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't know whether that is the 'original' version or if he just simplified it slighlty to make it more whistle friendly
Somehow I doubt he would have had to simplify it to make it playable, he's fairly handy at playing the whistle you know.

That said, while I always thought the f nat section was a bit contrived, it doesn't actually appear extremely problematic when you give it a go.

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
My brain hurts

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Fair enough. And good to clear up. I did allow the possibility, but pass the egg-wipes!

Mind, I have no doubt whatever that Cathal would readily and blithely play the Fnats if he so wished. He's a genius whistler.

(Cross-posted with MrG.)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Funny ...I'd ignored this thread because it was an issue that had never come up for me. But then the past couple of days I've had a song stuck in my head, Art Garfunkel singing Jimmy Webb's "All I Know". So I'm playing along on a low D (yeah, the song is in C but my C whistles were in another room and I thought the song called for a low whistle vibe anyway) and sure enough I enough here comes a natural F. Took a few passes at it, but half-holing it isn't the hardest thing to do with a whistle.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I play this with no f naturals and learned it from the Cathal whistle book with cassettes. Though that is far from conclusive as it was years and years ago and they may have been in there and I eliminated them over the years. Anyone have the book to check? I also remember the tune having another composer credit as well as Cathal Anyone know his {helper}?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Ah Seamus Quinn should have read the thread closer