A brief word on political topics

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Phil, I think that Rich and Dale run the risk of facing legal action if things get out of hand in certain ways. Perhaps someone better versed in the law could be a bit more specific than I'm being. If that's the case, they would be foolish *not* to monitor. Too many people here think that intervention is a bit like taking your bat and going home if you don't like the way the game is going. There's more to it than that.
One thing it's easy to forget--and I'm as guilty of this as the rest--is that we are here entirely because Rich and Dale have at their own expense and using their own valuable time created this haven for us.

If they ever "take their bat and go home" the game stops--forever. Without Rich and Dale there is no Chiff and Fipple message board at all.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

As an alternative, I do have a forum section for current/world events in the discussion area of Gaelic Crossings. (www.gaeliccrossings.com/forums, scroll towards the bottom.)

There have been a couple of posts in the North America forum (Mostly regarding the recent State of the Union speech by Pres. Bush).

Aodhan
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

I will also refrain (sorry about the post a few minutes ago, I hadn't read this thread yet).

One interesting point, though. The "HUGE MOUMENTAL NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN" flame war that occurred recently was started in an on-topic thread. I have found the two "political" threads to be far more civil than many of the on-topic threads.

John Mac
nickt

Post by nickt »

Fair points Rich. However, there is a saying in Australia - and please excuse the language - "opinions are like arseholes: everyone's got one".

Meaning, sometimes you can't help people expressing views no matter what. What impresses me about this site is the international flavour and general courtesy and decency of the posters. Take the recent "Racism and the Irish" thread - out of that came some pointedness on occasions, apologies on others, and sharing of views on yet more. A lot of learning and "seeing the other side of the fence" went on, and overall a level of decency was maintained - albeit way OT.

Take a look at http://www.allblacks.com and view the discussions between the average Kiwi male discussing his favourite topic of rugby to get an idea of how a forum can degenerate into vulgar polemics.

My experience of C&F is that the posters are generally self-policing, and only the occasional reminder from Rich or Dale is necessary.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-02-20 11:01, nickt wrote:

My experience of C&F is that the posters are generally self-policing, and only the occasional reminder from Rich or Dale is necessary.
As I understand it, that would be Rich's view. Despite occasional exasperation, I don't think he is going to 'take his bat and go home.'

The liveliness and loopyness of this board is great and none of us want to see that go. But funny ribbing and teasing is one thing; incontinent abuse another. I've had to bite my tongue till it bleeds on one or two occasions recently to resist the temptation to write scathing replies to political posts that displayed all the empathy, sensitivity and logical acumen of a petulant five year old. But why give even a reasoned and measured reply? Those who would listen already know. That said, I agree with you Nick. We've just got a timely 'occasional reminder.'
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Thanks Rich,

I myself decided to pull out the political discussion the minute I realized that it started going in circles. I enjoy discussing current events on this board because we have such a diverse, international, experienced group to draw from. I consider everyone here a friend, even those I disagree with. I think this is why things have been pretty mellow. I know I'm not alone in this. But this attitude that is pervasive (thankfully so) is nothing that a moderater can enforce so I understand why you decided to comment.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

On 2003-02-20 12:27, CraigMc wrote:
Thanks Rich,

I myself decided to pull out the political discussion the minute I realized that it started going in circles. (snipped)

I had the same experience and decided to pull out as well. I will point out, though, that Dale himself had a brief post or two in the political discussion (and described himself as a liberal). There are also links on this site to National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty as well as other sites espousing political opinions about which reasonable people might disagree. I thought these links were reflective of the political stances of the site's creators (which is fine, it's their site, I am here as a result of their generosity). If Chiff and Fipple would like to discourage political discussion, though, the message comes across as a bit mixed.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-02-20 13:30, Rando7 wrote:
I will point out, though, that Dale himself had a brief post or two in the political discussion (and described himself as a liberal). There are also links on this site to National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty as well as other sites espousing political opinions about which reasonable people might disagree.
Yeah. Hunger Site, too. This no problem to you, I hope ? :roll:
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I`m bummed, and I`m pouting. Guys I realy liked that debate. And I liked where it was going. Sure there were hitches along the way but even my heart beats in and out. Anyway thanks for letting me speak as I would speak with trusted friends. :smile:

Tom
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

On 2003-02-20 13:56, Zubivka wrote:
On 2003-02-20 13:30, Rando7 wrote:
I will point out, though, that Dale himself had a brief post or two in the political discussion (and described himself as a liberal). There are also links on this site to National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty as well as other sites espousing political opinions about which reasonable people might disagree.
Yeah. Hunger Site, too. This no problem to you, I hope ? :roll:
I have no problem with the Hunger Site and don't consider it political. Are you intentionally missing my point?
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

Fun! :smile:
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

One more thing i forgot to say is that with over 3788 views I`ll bet there were some lively discussions in the kitchens of many fellow chiffandfipplers. :grin:

Tom
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2003-02-20 14:15, Blackbeer wrote:
One more thing i forgot to say is that with over 3788 views I`ll bet there were some lively discussions in the kitchens of many fellow chiffandfipplers. :grin:

Tom
3788 (now 3864). Sheesh!

There were perhaps 20 people posting more than once and a dozen or so others that posted once. Say forty participants. if each of us checked the thread 40 times, that would still be only 1600 views.

Which means that we carried on an impassioned yet mostly civil debate before a bigger audience than attends most public debates in the 'real' world. Kind of sobering, at least for me. And in a forum that doesn't include sex, rarely brushes religion and usually avoids politics. By a bunch of musicians and musician wannabes who don't always tend to be the most temperate folks around.

I can't think of that many people watching. If I do, I'll just curl up in a corner with a whistle and never post again.

Yeah, I know. Not hardly.
markv

Post by markv »

On 2003-02-20 14:15, Blackbeer wrote:

Tom
And at the workplace. Even for those coworkers who don't play whistle but still enjoy lurking. You know who you are!

Mark V.
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.