Spurred on by Jem's experiment...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Spurred on by Jem's experiment...

Post by greenspiderweb »

Just a couple of listens (on dial-up), but always have thought Arbo sounded best on his Firth:

1) Firth 2) Hudson 3) Seery. So it just goes to show, it's down to personal preference in hearing and tonal judgement.

What really counts is what the player hears and prefers, as far as I'm concerned. Unless of course, you're getting paid to play-and then what matters is pretty evident. And Jem had a good point-about what Arbo was most used to, and crapping out after playing a bit...hard to tell exactly, but not surprising that it works out that way in the end. Good call Jem.

Arbo, I'll give you a quarter if you go back to The Snows That Melt the Soonest!!! :wink:
~~~~
Barry
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

ImNotIrish wrote:I think by the third time through I was relaxing some with the tune and not playing as loudly or aggressively.
Well, that might be a good thing.... but it wasn't so much that as that your focus was going - you were "missing" more and not consistently generating a clear enough tone to evaluate fairly. In fact, with all three, we might hear the flutes' characters better if you didn't overdrive all the time.

Thanks for putting in the "work" on mine!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
yellowhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by yellowhistler »

They're played in the order you presented them.

Flute A: Seery Pratten
Flute B: Hudson Pratten original
Flute C: Firth, Pond & Co

The first two are the loudest (gotta be prattens). And the loudest of the two is A (gotta be the Seery in delrin). Me thinks...
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

jemtheflute wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:I think by the third time through I was relaxing some with the tune and not playing as loudly or aggressively.
Well, that might be a good thing.... but it wasn't so much that as that your focus was going - you were "missing" more and not consistently generating a clear enough tone to evaluate fairly. In fact, with all three, we might hear the flutes' characters better if you didn't overdrive all the time.

Thanks for putting in the "work" on mine!
It is interesting to me that you think I have it on overdrive 'all the time.' I will admit I am hitting those low D notes with a it of a kick, but I didn't feel like that was happening throughout. Another thing to keep in the back of my mind while playing!
Arbo
eilam

Post by eilam »

a) Firth
b) Seery
c) Hudson
i feel pretty confidant about A, but not sure about the Hudson....is it with the original head?
from my experience the seery is very dry sounding.
to me, A has a best tone, and it's interesting that some may think the opposite.....
kind of a good indicator that when it comes to tune, we each have our own North.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

ImNotIrish wrote:It is interesting to me that you think I have it on overdrive 'all the time.' I will admit I am hitting those low D notes with a it of a kick, but I didn't feel like that was happening throughout.
Arbo, I don't mean or want this thread (or at least my contributions to it) to turn into a critique of your playing - no more relevant to the purpose than in "my" thread..... what I wrote before was relevant to the comparative process.

To be accurate, you don't appear to be in overdrive throughout those clips - in all three there are brief passages where you seem deliberately to ease off for effect, and in B & C there are places where you aren't in overdrive because you've lost it..... but I think it is my general impression of your playing that you seem most of the time to be seeking to push the flute (and yourself) as hard as you can - and that is without the addition of pulse-emphasised notes.

As for guessing the flutes' identities, we are now into the realms of using outside info. We know from elsewhere on C&F in recent times that Arbo has been main-lining the Firth, but also that immediately recently he's done a bunch of clips on the Seery. The Hudson has been up for sale due partly to disuse. Logic thence suggests the strongest sound/performance will not necessarily be on the large-bore/tone-hole Pratten flutes, and if A sounds strongest but is actually the Firth, where does that leave those who are guessing on the basis of preconceptions about Pratten style flutes? The A clip must be either the Firth or the Seery. I still can't find sufficient internal evidence in the clips to postulate IDs for B & C - they don't quite sound the same as each other and definitely don't sound close to A, within the overall strong Arbo-ness of all three, but which is which, and is either not a Pratten?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I don't know if this will help, or just muddy the waters, but....

here is a second take of Flute B & C. Hopefully, this addresses some of the 'fatigue' issues.
Arbo

Flute B: http://www.box.net/shared/zc23buk97a
Flute C: http://www.box.net/shared/5gk7ia6zsz

and the original, Flute A; http://www.box.net/shared/ngf2dojlj5
eilam

Post by eilam »

much better, and to me, it becomes much more obvious which is the "smaller tighter".....and which two are the "big open".
out of the biggies, C sounds better to me.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Had a quick listen last night - new clips sound much better and more usable, Arbo. I haven't time until tomorrow to listen properly and evaluate and compare.....

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Listened all the files again... same results...
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

ImNotIrish wrote:I don't know if this will help, or just muddy the waters, but....

here is a second take of Flute B & C. Hopefully, this addresses some of the 'fatigue' issues.
Arbo

Flute B: http://www.box.net/shared/zc23buk97a
Flute C: http://www.box.net/shared/5gk7ia6zsz

and the original, Flute A; http://www.box.net/shared/ngf2dojlj5

Time to identify the flutes:
Flute A: Firth, Pond & Co. w/ Jon C. hj
Flute B: delrin Seery, modeled after the Hudson Pratten
Flute C: Hudson Pratten original

Thanks for listening and playing along!
Cheers, Arbo.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Hey, that was hasty! I'm still spinning it out..... (well, trying to do the next stage I promised.... and getting side-tracked.... :oops: ....as usual....). Well, I may not have gotten to evaluate the two new clips blind, nor found out if I could discern which flute was which just on a sound-to-preconception basis but my logic (using extraneous info) was on the right track!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

What do I win?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

kkrell wrote:What do I win?
You got in first, Kevin, but you gotta share the prize with eilam and Lorenzo!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Ah, that was easy.
C flute with the huge and deep sound of the Pratten bore, B flute rough and less resonating, clearly a not as good quality flute, and then the A flute, nice responsive sound of a smaller bore and holes. It had to be like I said...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute