Spurred on by Jem's experiment...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Spurred on by Jem's experiment...

Post by ImNotIrish »

I am intrigued by the comment on Jem's thread that he sounds like Jem on all the various flute combinations. I am wondering if I sound like me on my various flutes. Just curious if people would be willing to indulge me playing the same tune on three different flutes: Seery Delrin (modeled after a Hudson Pratten), an original Hudson Pratten, and a Firth, Pond and Co. flute w/ Jon C. hj and barrel? If it sounds interesting I would gladly put together some clips. For those of you concerned, I shall not use reverb.
Arbo
jemtheflute

Re: Spurred on by Jem's experiment...

Post by jemtheflute »

Arbo, with the greatest respect, whilst we might well discern some differences between the flutes' own qualities in your hands, (especially sans undue engineered distortion!), I do not think there is the slightest shadow of a doubt what the outcome would be in terms of how you have phrased your proposal!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Sigurthr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sigurthr »

I'd be willing to listen, but I also happen to like listening to prominent chiffers :D . I do not doubt that you would sound like you in the end though. For better or worse, most of us end up sounding like ourselves when all is said and done. At the very best/wost, we end up sounding like ourselves trying to sound like someone else! :boggle: :tomato:
My Flutes:
James Galway JG3 Spirit Flute
Gemeinhardt 2sp Student Flute w/ Custom Series S Headjoint
19c Antique German Orchestral Flute - Huller/Lyon-Healy/Meyer 13 key - "Frankenflute"
Aulos A440 Grenser Traverso

Baroque, Classical, Trad - I play it all.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Okay, so that's a 'thank you, but no thank you?'
arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sigurthr wrote:I'd be willing to listen, but I also happen to like listening to prominent chiffers :D . I do not doubt that you would sound like you in the end though. For better or worse, most of us end up sounding like ourselves when all is said and done. At the very best/wost, we end up sounding like ourselves trying to sound like someone else! :boggle: :tomato:

I have no desire to sound like anyone but me....
Arbo.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'll guess:

A=Firth
B=Seery
C=Hudson
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Okay, I'll bite...
A= Hudson
B= Seery
C= Firth
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I listened, decided ... and came up with the same order as Jon C. FWIW, I think you sound most 'like you' on flute A.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

ImNotIrish wrote:Okay, so that's a 'thank you, but no thank you?'
arbo
Not at all. Just unsure quite what the point is as you framed things. You have a very distinctive sound and style which could only be you on every clip of yours I have listened to! In the OP of my thread I wrote that I knew all my clips sounded like me; that others have agreed is no surprise but wasn't at all the point of my exercise. However, I think that in a crowd of comparable moderately competent players I would be unlikely to stand out. You would!

I'm in work today so can't listen to your clips until this-evening. Will do so later.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

A=Firth
B=Seery
C=Hudson
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

mmm
FL A - Strong & nice sound, placement no.2 - Silver Medal
FL B - Sometimes weak, sometimes nice, placement no.3 - Bronze medal
FL C - Nice compromise, nice tone, nice sound - 1' & Winner

Arbo, confirmed: through those kind of recordings (mp3-pcSpeakers) You sound like "You" on all the flutes...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, I've listened to all 3 in full, then quick bursts of the starts. I was fully prepared to have a go at guessing IDs, but I honestly haven't the faintest. FWIW, A sounds "biggest", most powerful, open, colourful. I think you seem progressively to lose your embouchure through B & C, or at least, not to find it on those flutes (as I didn't on my mystery flutes). That makes it rather hard to really asssess their (potential) sounds. I kinda expected (oh, the preconceptions!) to hear two obvious Prattens and one narrower bore/smaller hole, more refined type sound, but these clips give one biggy (I guess not the FHP) and two constricted (to my ears). The best, biggest sound ought to be from the Hudson, but I think you've been using the Seery a lot of late...... I expected to be able to spot the FHP and have to gamble on the other two, but that ain't so. This may be just because you've Arbo'd them all so effectively it really doesn't matter what you play? For sure, you do sound just like Arbo (who he? ;-) :devil: ) on all of 'em. I will guess that you've been playing A most most recently, whichever it is. I don't think your performances put the flutes on a level enough playing field - that may be a problem with my set of clips too. Or my ears just ain't up to the task.

Cop out! I wanted to do it, but I just can't.......

BTW, Arbo, you going to have a punt on my thread now (not just the ID guessing game, which I think is relatively trivial, though fun)?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Took a quick listen, and on the surface they all sound like a Seery to me (but then I have a Seery so am familiar with the tone it is capable of. I've never played a original Hudson Pratten, but would assume the Firth Pond & Co would be more similar to my antique Wm Hall & sons). Any minor variations (and I didn't listen to them often enough, or simultaneously, to notice those) could easily be attributed to the human element.

While I always feel that my different flutes sound very dissimilar when I'm playing them, this experiment makes me believe that it may not be as perceptable from a couple of feet away, or perhaps just that I haven't developed my flute playing enough to get the sound I'm looking for out of any reasonable conical simple system flute the way more advanced players have. I know it feels like I can "lean into" the notes on a large hole, large bore, Pratten style a lot further before they flip up an octave than on a small tone hole Rudall style, and feel that I get slightly more volume in general from the former as well.

Interesting post, thanks for sharing.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks all for listening and playing along!
Jem, I think you are right about fatigue! I did play the flutes cold, well....with one run through. Flute A was the first one I played, and fair play to you.... it is probably the one I have been playing the most recently. I think by the third time through I was relaxing some with the tune and not playing as loudly or aggressively.

Arbo

p.s.
Jem, I have listened to your experiment once all the way through one right after the other. Need a few more passes, maybe listening two at a time.