What is the "Best" side blown, Transverse Irish Flute ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: What is the "Best" side blown, Transverse Irish Flute ?

Post by Feadoggie »

Othannen wrote:Akiba, what professionals play Burns and McGee flutes? (note that I'm saying nothing about the quality of their flutes, it is just that the makers seem famous among us but perhaps not so well known elsewere?) And I haven't seen many Wylde flutes around, they're a bit rarer that Rudalls, I think...
Grinter, Olwell, Murray are the flutes I've seen around more often (in my limited experience), and Wilkes are usually very much desired (but the waiting list is crazy even for pros!).
There you go. My point exactly. It's a big world. No one is going to agree on who's who. I suspect there are a couple makers that might make most lists though.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Nanohedron wrote:
JTC111 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You got that right.
-Mr. Mohra speaking to Officer Olson, Fargo ....I love that movie.
I had no idea that would be a Minnesota thing. Or at least an Upper Midwest thing. Umm...is it?
I didn't even notice it in the movie. Which stands to reason, I suppose. Yep...you betcha. :wink:
I guess when you're living in it, it's not so noticeable but the mannerisms and the language are what really make that movie special. It was said twice in the scene where the policeman goes to talk to the guy clearing his driveway with a push-broom. Here's the dialogue...

Mr. Mohra: How ya doin'?
Officer Olson: Mr. Mohra?
Mr. Mohra: Yeah.
Officer Olson: Officer Olson.
Mr. Mohra: Yeah, right-o. So I'm tendin' bar down there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, 'So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake.' And I says, 'What kinda action?' And he says, 'Woman action, what do I look like?' And I says, 'Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing,' and he says, 'But I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake,' and I says, 'Yeah, but this ain't that kinda place.'
Officer Olson: Uh huh.
Mr. Mohra: He says, 'Oh, so I get it, so you think I'm some kinda jerk for askin',' only he don't use the word jerk.
Officer Olson: I understand.
Mr. Mohra: Then he calls me a jerk and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk is dead now. So I don't say nothin'. He says, 'What do ya think about that?' And I says, 'Well, that don't sound like too good a deal for him, then.'
Officer Olson: You got that right.
Mr. Mohra: Yeah. He says, 'Yeah, that guy's dead and I don't mean of old age.' And then he says, 'Geez, I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake.'
Officer Olson: White Bear Lake?
Mr. Mohra: Yeah, well, at Ecklund and Swedlin, that's closer to Moose Lake, so I made that assumption.
Officer Olson: Oh, sure.
Mr. Mohra: Anyway, he was drinkin' at the bar, so I don't think a whole great deal of it, but then Mrs. Mohra, she heard about the homicides down here and thought I should call it in, so I called it in. End of story.
Officer Olson: Well, what'd this guy look like, anyways?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, he was a little guy. Kinda funny-lookin'.
Officer Olson: Uh huh. In what way?
Mr. Mohra: Oh, just in a general kinda way.
Officer Olson: Okay, well, thanks a bunch, Mr. Mohra. You're right, it's probably nothin', but thanks for callin' her in.
Mr. Mohra: Oh sure. Looks like she's gonna turn cold tomorrow.
Officer Olson: Yeah, got a front movin' in.
Mr. Mohra: Yeah, you got that right.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

The one that fella over there is playing like a heavenly storm pipe (all to do with the toot, of course, not the tooter).... the one I haven't found yet or can't afford - and the one next over the horizon from that..... the The Grass Is Always Greener (Traditional Irish Transverse) Flute..... :D :tomato:

OR

Mine! (Just so long as you and everyone else is green with envy......)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Othannen wrote:Akiba, what professionals play Burns and McGee flutes? (note that I'm saying nothing about the quality of their flutes, it is just that the makers seem famous among us but perhaps not so well known elsewere?) And I haven't seen many Wylde flutes around, they're a bit rarer that Rudalls, I think...
Grinter, Olwell, Murray are the flutes I've seen around more often (in my limited experience), and Wilkes are usually very much desired (but the waiting list is crazy even for pros!).
Skelton and Larson play Burns low flutes. Matt Walklate plays a McGee low flute. I've heard that Liam Kelly is playing a Wylde. That's the info I got.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jemtheflute wrote: The Grass Is Always Greener (Traditional Irish Transverse) Flute...
Kind of like the best two flutes are the last one you never should have sold and the next one you are going to buy.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

tyiam wrote:From your experience of "Playing" a Transverse Irish flute.... and why?
of course your question cannot be answered but within the coversational ambit of thhis topic I note that at
the Blue Mountains Music Festival I only saw one Irish flute player, Steph Geremia, and and she told me she was playing a Grinter. (it was a keyed one).

The only local player within 600 miles that I have seen and talked to and whose playing inspires me also plays a Grinter, a keyless one.
Last edited by talasiga on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

People here are chicken sh1t. The best flute of course is the one MM plays. Think about it.
talasiga

bare footed response

Post by talasiga »

m31's post is small enough to ooze between small toes
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

m31 wrote:The best flute of course is the one MM plays.
Which one?
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Feadoggie wrote:
Which one?
See what I said.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

JTC111 wrote:Here's the dialogue...

- Mr. Mohra: Then he calls me a jerk and says the last guy who thought he was a jerk is dead now. So I don't say nothin'. He says, 'What do ya think about that?' And I says, 'Well, that don't sound like too good a deal for him, then.'
- Officer Olson: You got that right.
Not bad, but really the the killer should have been the one to say "You got that right" (stress on "that" is universal, and imagine ellipsis marks after "right", to get the best tone) in the conversation being related, to really use it right and for it to sound dead-on Minnesotan. But he didn't seem Minnesotan. More like from the East somewheres. So I guess it's a moot point.

To use it in a comment about the weather like the sherriff later did is a bit unnatural, at least where I live. It sounds stilted, like someone trying to seem Minnesotan, or a Minnesotan with lamentable conversational resources, and given the sherriff, that doesn't square. I think we may just have ourselves a true shibboleth, here.

It's subtle. I suspect most Minnesotans hear "got" in this case in the intransitive present (whatever it's called; present perfect, I guess), as I do. IOW I hear "you have got(ten) that right", or just as good, "you have it right", only just pared down to rough speech. Or maybe they don't; maybe some hear simple past in the word "got". I've never thought to ask. But the reason I say this is that while you might hear the officer's angle of use elsewhere, it doesn't closely fit the patterns I'm used to hearing OR using (which might point to how we hear it), and I really haven't heard it used that way unless people are drunk, pretty much. Well, and there's your other possibility. Officer Olson doesn't show it until he opens his mouth. :wink:

So basically it's an idiomatic way of saying "I concur", but more like "No kidding", because likewise it conveys irony. To what degree is anybody's guess; depends on the user and the timing and the context. Sometimes used in enthusiasm, but it more especially fits for further communicating noncommital, bored, or stern moods, for mild surprise, and can even be used threateningly, and is useful for that, much as I suggested above. It's very in-your-face to Minnesotan ears when used that way. But it has to fit, and apparently by all indicators only experience will get you there in knowing if it does, or doesn't so much; nevertheless it seems a simple thing to me. :)

So anyway, while the movie was very entertaining, I'm sure you'll understand that I occasionally found the depictions falling glaringly short when they were low-drama, "everyday" conversations. :)

I'll bet you're sorry you brought it up. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

jemtheflute wrote:
Feadoggie wrote:
Which one?
See what I said.
talasiga wrote:m31's post is small enough to ooze between small toes
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

A Møøse once bit my sister ...
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Nanohedron wrote:Not bad, but really the the killer should have been the one to say "You got that right" in the conversation being related, to really use it right and for it to sound dead-on Minnesotan. But he didn't seem Minnesotan. More like from the East somewheres. So I guess it's a moot point.
I think the Steve Buschemi character was from Chicago or someplace similar. I'm not sure if they referenced it in the movie and all I can say for sure is there was nothing NYCish about him.

Nanohedron wrote:So anyway, while the movie was very entertaining, I'm sure you'll understand that I occasionally found the depictions falling glaringly short when they were low-drama, "everyday" conversations. :)
Funny... I know folks native to the Minnesota/Dakota area who swear the depiction of the locals is way off. Then I know people who have moved to that area and swear the movie is spot on. I've never been to the area so I have no idea on which side I'd come down, but the movie is definitely on my Top 15 of all time list.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

JTC111 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Not bad, but really the the killer should have been the one to say "You got that right" in the conversation being related, to really use it right and for it to sound dead-on Minnesotan. But he didn't seem Minnesotan. More like from the East somewheres. So I guess it's a moot point.
I think the Steve Buschemi character was from Chicago or someplace similar. I'm not sure if they referenced it in the movie and all I can say for sure is there was nothing NYCish about him.
I don't have that nuanced a perception of US regional types; Chicago, New York, Cleveland, whatever. East. :wink:
JTC111 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:So anyway, while the movie was very entertaining, I'm sure you'll understand that I occasionally found the depictions falling glaringly short when they were low-drama, "everyday" conversations. :)
Funny... I know folks native to the Minnesota/Dakota area who swear the depiction of the locals is way off. Then I know people who have moved to that area and swear the movie is spot on. I've never been to the area so I have no idea on which side I'd come down, but the movie is definitely on my Top 15 of all time list.
I really think "have moved to that area" is the telling point. What they're calling authentic, I say is simply newcomers recognising local peculiarities in isolation; anyone can do that, and it can't be denied that Minnesotan speech really stands out in some things. We're aware of it and even ape ourselves for laughs, you know; we also like to catch each other when we unconsciously let the more cliché "Minnesotanisms" slip out, and poke fun. When it seems some days that all you'll ever have is snow and ice any more, you take what amusements you can. :wink:

But authentic context/usage is another matter. Apparently, things I think of as obvious really are more subtle than a non-Minnesotan can be expected to know right out of the starting gate. Of course over time that can change, and their children will probably pick it up naturally (for good or ill :wink: ). As you mentioned, the natives (myself, for instance) have a different view of the movie. I personally wouldn't say "way off", but awkwardly askew, rather, and off enough for it to count.

In general presentation, Marge for example was a total caricature if you live in Minneapolis, but get out to the boonies, and that can be another story entirely, depending. To be fair, Marge did live "in the boonies", so no foul, but her delivery IS extreme. Her character's delivery is in fact a perfect example of how we do it when we ape ourselves, the grotesqueness of it being key to the amusement we get out of it. OTOH her hubby sounded more natural by far, and he could have been a transplanted Twin Cities boy for that matter. The most realistic characters tended to be among the bit parts, actually.

I've noticed that MN natives who have relocated - to Florida, say - love the movie. Must be sheer nostalgia, I'm guessing, because the movie does a good job at spotlighting the signature quirks of the region. I don't think it represents them in a truly dead-on "living" manner that I would call natively authentic, though; the effect to me is more like stuffed animals in a museum, standing stiffly there in not-quite-natural poses for the gawking. :)

As a matter of fact, it's that last that causes so many native Minnesotans actual offense. I'm a bit more philosophical about it all, myself. But get me on the subject, and look what happens. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician