A louder Sindt?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ned
antispam: No

A louder Sindt?

Post by Ned »

My Sindt D is absolutely my favorite whistle. Wouldn't part with it for anything in the world.

But lets say I'm at a session, and folks seem to really strain to hear me, especially when I'm changing tunes. Sessions are sometime in noisy places, and that's what I'm up against right now. So I want to buy another whistle, and I'd like it to be just like my Sindt but louder. I'm not looking for a crazy loud, deafening, session weapon. I still want to blend in with the group, but maybe something no louder than a Burke session, but with tonal and playing characteristics of a Sindt. Let's not worry about the cost too much.

What whistles might fit this description?
Steve Bliven

Re: A louder Sindt?

Post by Steve Bliven »

You might consider a Reyburn...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MarkP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

nothing wrong with the Sindt, sounds like you need a quieter session (I know beggars can't be choosers).

If you're leading off a set on the whistle you could try the singer's trick and discretely 'ssssshhhhhhh', with a smile, before you start, or get a friendly plant to do it for you. Once people get used to the idea then it's natural enough (Pavlovian) for them to listen harder at those points and play accordingly. Just don't trade in your favourite whistle for something bland and piercing if it's not you that's causing the problem :cry:

PS. if you always sit in the same place in the room at a particular session, try moving, you might be surprised.

PPS... in answer to your question, people tell me that my Cillian O'Briain improved speaks mroe audiably across the session than my Sindt (it's also the one people say sounds the nicest, so I use that).
Mark
Ned

Post by Ned »

Hi Mark. No, no. My Sindt ain't going anywhere. I'm looking to buy a second whistle for difficult environments. And it's not my session mates that's the problem, but our new venue is a little noisy and most of the patrons wouldn't be watching us directly, so I don't know that the smile trick would work. A rowdy bunch to be sure. I'll look onto the O'Brian whistle. Thanks for the thoughtful response.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I know that feeling, sometimes it's just not conducive to playing good music. We've a nice session in a small pub back room but the student crowd is unpredictable and some nights you've just no chance.

I do sometimes resort to wandering over and saying 'excuse me lads would you mind shutting the f..k up?' (with a big smile of course). Seems to work sometimes.
Mark
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Reyburn.
Or you could also try a Freeman Mellow Dog.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

MarkP wrote: I do sometimes resort to wandering over and saying 'excuse me lads would you mind shutting the f..k up?' (with a big smile of course). Seems to work sometimes.
"Seems to work sometimes" :D What happens the rest of the time? Is it palinful?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:
MarkP wrote: I do sometimes resort to wandering over and saying 'excuse me lads would you mind shutting the f..k up?' (with a big smile of course). Seems to work sometimes.
"Seems to work sometimes" :D What happens the rest of the time? Is it palinful?
That is an extremely good (in a ho ho sort of way), and possibly even Freudian, slip there Phill.

:)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ooh, ooh! Just got one! To do with slips etc ... Que Sarah, Sarah.

:D
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I had a Sindt when I first started playing the whistle in 2002. I really liked it back then but eventually it ended up in the whistle drawer. I ended up trading it for a new sweet delrin thinking that I could always order another Sindt. I finally got around to ordering another one, waited the 6 months and when I unwrapped it and played it a little I thought "what happened to my beloved Sindt?" Maybe a difference in manufacturing? It sounded week and oh that cnat is terrible. I contacted Mr. Sindt and I told him that I thought I must have gotten a bad one. He didn't seem concerned at all and said that I could send it back.

I had been wanting a Reyburn narrow bore for years and finally ordered one before the new price increase in January. WOW, now that's a whistle!!!! Everything I'd always hoped for in a Sindt and a lot more. It has a little more complexity than a Sindt in the lower register, way better tuning, better balance with the delrin head and Reynoldo is a pleasure to deal with. Also, it is the loudest narrow bore I have ever played. It has more back pressure than a Sindt so it needs a bit more push but the result is that you get a more dynamic whistle that can be driven to it's limits without squeaking. I tried both of the tunings that Reynoldo offers and I would recommend the equal temperament. The C# on the Itrad tuning is just too flat for my taste and has to be driven harder to even make it sound like a C#. Even with the price increase I think that a Reyburn is well worth the price.

If you want a whistle with a little complexity and no back pressure with a good volume I would also recommend a Sweet delrin.

Cheers!
Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

If you have an interest in Reyburns, there is a nice used D/C set at the Irish Whistle Shop. I sold/traded (don't remember which) the set to Eric a while back when I got a Sindt. I preferred the slightly quieter sound of the Sindt (I mostly play at home) to the somewhat more strident sound of the Reyburn. The the latter is a delight to play and should be great for a session.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmiller »

Sindt's with the brass head a silver tube are a bit louder and cleaner sounding.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I had the same problem when playing my Sindt through
a mic at pub gigs. It was hard to hear myself in the
monitors amidst the other instruments in the band.
Now I use a Burke composite for pub stuff and keep the
Sindt for pretty stuff and quieter gigs.

Part of what makes the Sindts so hard to hear over
other sounds is its complexity. It has lots of components
(overtones) all over the frequency spectrum. Sounds that
are the same frequency will mask each other, so if
something is masking part of your Sindt's spectrum, it will
seem that much quieter. A purer whistle has fewer
overtones in its spectrum and so it is less susceptible to
this masking. So loudness often comes at the expense of
complexity, which means loud whistles sound less sweet.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

fearfaoin wrote:A purer whistle has fewer overtones in its spectrum and so it is less susceptible to this masking. So loudness often comes at the expense of complexity, which means loud whistles sound less sweet.
Just so, that's a helpful way of explaining it.
Mark
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Steve Bliven wrote:If you have an interest in Reyburns, there is a nice used D/C set at the Irish Whistle Shop. I sold/traded (don't remember which) the set to Eric a while back when I got a Sindt. I preferred the slightly quieter sound of the Sindt (I mostly play at home) to the somewhat more strident sound of the Reyburn. The the latter is a delight to play and should be great for a session.

Best wishes.

Steve
hi,

i do have the Reyburn set up for sale. great whistles; they were my main whistles for a long time until i got into wood whistles. i spend most of my time on the flute now, but i think Steve's on the money... i've owned Sindts as well as the Reyburn and it is very similar, like half way between a Sindt and a Burke, with some of the best parts of both.

this particular set is a medium bore set, which Steve told me was pretty rare, Mr. Reyburn doesn't make them anymore. so it's louder than a narrow bore, but not as over the top as a session bore.

the Mellow Dog is a good suggestion too.

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/