Question about The Irish Flute Store & Chuck Tilbury Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sfwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Terminology question

Post by sfwhistle »

I'm still learning some of the terms for whistle playing. Could someone define "backpressure" for me? Thanks.
Last edited by sfwhistle on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTC111

Re: Question about The Irish Flute Store & Chuck Tilbury Whistle

Post by JTC111 »

hoopy mike wrote:If you've started on a Copeland or an Oz, what's the point in picking up a cheapie?
Speaking only about my own experience, I had cheapies first but I wasn't satisfied with their sound nor their playability. Also, and I'm not sure if this is a detriment or not, I tend to view things through a musical philosophy born of 35+ years of being primarily a guitar player. And while I'm aware the within the whistle community there's some argument over expensive vs. inexpensive, where guitars are concerned you're just not going to find $200 guitars that are going to have the tone and playability of a $3000 guitar. Might there be some rare anomaly where the stars aligned in some Pac-Rim factory and one cheap guitar out of a production of a three thousand will sound golden? Yeah, it can happen, but those occurrences are so rare as to not be worth considering.

So, applying my guitar logic to whistles (because that's all I had to rely on at the time), I did some research and settled on buying an Oz and I'm damn glad I did. A short time later, I got a Burke as a gift from my dad and while I love the Burke, it's a very different whistle from the Oz. The degree to which they were different was a bit of a surprise to me (I'm not referring to tone). The real eye opener came when I gambled (or at least I thought I was gambling) on a collection of whistles came up for sale on this site for $900 that included 3 Copelands, 2 Overtons, 3 Sindts, and a few other whistles. Now I had a bunch of higher end whistles and could really get a sense of how they differed not only from the cheapies I'd started on but from each other as well. Finally, I had an inkling of what people where talking about when they used phrases like "back pressure" or "chiff."

I feel like I kinda went through a sort of whistle immersion. Since then, I've tried a bought some other whistles, not always expensive and usually based upon comments made on this board, my own curiosity, and my desire to have multiple keys from which to choose.

Damn it... I'm rambling. I swear in person I'm a picture of brevity.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Greg Connor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I unfortunately had a difficult time when purchasing my Tilbury whistle through Doc at the Irish Flute Store. It was at the same time as the Haiti earthquake and Doc explained on the second or third call that he was preoccupied with an orphanage down there.

It was the only time I ordered anything from Doc so my experience may not be what others have experienced.

As for the Tilbury Whistle, it's probably the best value for the money that I have seen.... Great Whistle.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

JTC111 wrote:Also, and I'm not sure if this is a detriment or not, I tend to view things through a musical philosophy born of 35+ years of being primarily a guitar player. And while I'm aware the within the whistle community there's some argument over expensive vs. inexpensive, where guitars are concerned you're just not going to find $200 guitars that are going to have the tone and playability of a $3000 guitar.
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, this philosophy doesn't apply to whistles. Unfortunately there is (in my not all that limited experience) as much variation between "high-end" whistles as there is between "low-end", if not more! You are really only paying extra for the fact that someone has to put in hours making the whistle. "Cheap" whistles are cheap because they can be mass-produced cheaply, not because they are bad. Although some makes of cheap whistle I do think are inherently bad, I still far prefer Feadogs and Generations to all (almost) high end whistles. Because the tone, volume and playability are, in my experience, better. Or at least I can achieve what I want to more easily on these types of whistles.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The weekend before last I heard two whistle players in a row playing airs, first Patsy Hanly playing 'Easter Snow' to the lovely singing of his wife Pauline (first time I heard it sung and a revelation it was too) and later your one from Sligo playing one that cost thirty or forty times the price of the first.

No competition whatsoever.
My brain hurts

JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

NicoMoreno wrote:Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, this philosophy doesn't apply to whistles.
Mr.Gumby wrote:The weekend before last....two whistle players....one from Sligo playing one that cost thirty or forty times the price of the first.
No competition whatsoever.
When I typed this...
"So, applying my guitar logic to whistles (because that's all I had to rely on at the time)..."
I was alluding to what the both of you are saying.

Where our opinions differ is whether there is any benefit to a beginner playing on a better quality whistle (better quality does not necessarily translate into more expensive). I understand both of your opinions on the issue. My own experience is that I do benefit from playing better quality whistles because I can make those whistles sound better to MY ears therefore I'm more inclined to practice/play.

Something else that may play a role in this is what our goals and expectations are. I have very little desire to sit in on an ITM session. Musically, while I enjoy a beautiful aire, I'm a singer/songwriter first. If I can become proficient enough on whistle to accompany myself in the studio, I'll be a very happy camper ...but I'm a long way from there.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Mr.Gumby wrote:The weekend before last I heard two whistle players in a row...
It's almost inevitable that two whistle players meeting will result in a row. ;-)
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

hoopy mike wrote:
Mr.Gumby wrote:The weekend before last I heard two whistle players in a row...
It's almost inevitable that two whistle players meeting will result in a row. ;-)
Unless one of them has feathers...
Playing, not paying.
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

For what it is worth, I am still around. I had some rough times (layed off of several day-jobs in short sequence) a couple of years back and I had to back off of the whistle making a bit. I am all the way back in it now.

I really appreciate everyone hanging with me through the tough. Things are getting better now. :)

All the best!
-=chuckt=-
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

NicoMoreno wrote:Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, this philosophy doesn't apply to whistles. Unfortunately there is (in my not all that limited experience) as much variation between "high-end" whistles as there is between "low-end", if not more! You are really only paying extra for the fact that someone has to put in hours making the whistle. "Cheap" whistles are cheap because they can be mass-produced cheaply, not because they are bad. Although some makes of cheap whistle I do think are inherently bad, I still far prefer Feadogs and Generations to all (almost) high end whistles. Because the tone, volume and playability are, in my experience, better. Or at least I can achieve what I want to more easily on these types of whistles.
You are completely correct that what you are really paying for in a "high-end" whistle is mostly the maker's labor. All makers that I am aware of actually put hands on the whistle and voice each instrument individually. That (AFAIK) is not the case with low end whistles. The fact that Jerry Freeman can make a living voicing low end whistles is a testament to the (low) quality of their voicing. (Also a testament to Jerry's hard work and dedication, because it ain't easy making a living from whistles.) He adds that individual attention to the whistle to make it better. Also, if a high end whistle does not meet your needs, you have someone to go to in order to get it fixed or whatever. All of that service costs money and you will not get it with a low end whistle.

Oh well, my $0.002 US worth.
-=chuckt=-

Edit1: For clarity.
Edit2: I have also seen whistle players that could make a rusty pipe sound good. Leo MacNamera, for example. YMMV.
Edit3: Link to Leo MacNamera: http://www.hoilands.com/concert.htm