I've been duped! (Newbie WhOA leads to frustration)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rowena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rowena »

I love my Clarke original - and have worn off the diamonds to prove it! I have noticed though that heat and humidity make it go all breathy. That means I can't play from November to late January.

I then kidnap my daughter's sweettone for learning on - its kinda bland but quiet (luckily she still has day sleeeps and I can prise it out of her hands for a while)!

I play the Susato when I an confident enough to be that noisy!

But now the weather is getting more bearable... for people and whistles... and my elfsongs should be here by next November (if not by next week)!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi All,

I posted a thread recently about Susatos, though mine are High Ds. They take focussed breath rather than lots of breath to get the best results, and that control takes time to develop. Keep practising on the other whistles, and keep coming back to the Susato - eventually you'll find it starts to behave.

The Dixon Low A (just below a Generation Bb in pitch) has easier fingering than Gen Bb - I'd recommend it as a first foray into "low" whistles to anybody. The Gen Bb is really cheap, though, and I have 3 which all produce a lovely tone.

Clarke Originals can be very variable in breath requirements, I was lucky to get a couple which are't bad. You can squeeze down the top of the mouthpiece a little to reduce the gap & cut down the gasp factor.
MichaelG

Post by MichaelG »

Well I played all the whistles more last night with much better success than I had over lunch. I'm starting to get a feel for the Susato's reach and larger holes. The Clarke Original takes some getting used to, but it's manageable. And the Gen Bb is actually pretty decent.

I did the little soap trick on the fipples of the Gen and Susato and that's helping them play better as well.

I didn't know Dixon made a low A; I'll have to look into that. I think the tone of the Susato A is quite nice. At some point, I'll probably pick up a C, D, Bb set.

But not for a while.
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I agree about the Dixon low A. It's a wonderful whistle. I play mine alot. Much easier than playing my low D but sounds very mellow.

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Turner

Post by Turner »

I need Help too!! (Please)

I am also a beginner, and I have a Clarke original D whistle.

I am having problems sounding the low notes, D, and E. Instead of sounding a nice low sound, it Squeeks! which is really annoying!

I am covering all of the holes, blowing as softly as I can, but somtimes no matter how softly I blow, it still squeeks!! especially after I have played for a while!

Any suggestions??? Any help would be appreciated!

Any other tips for beginner whistlers??

Cheers...:smile:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Could it be a windway clogging, Tourneur-buddy ?
When, this happens did you try and peek through the windway, see if some juice "beads" formed ?
Turner

Post by Turner »

Thanks I will try taking a peek next time it happens!

Any other helpfull hints? Am i using too much lung power??

Where is Brittany FarQuest? As in Brittany in France?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Far Ouest, as in West.

From here, anything farther Ouest is around New York...
Turner

Post by Turner »

Rowena,

I have the same whistle as you by the sounds of it...the Clarke original, do you find it difficult to get the low E and D notes...if so any tips??

Every time I go down the scale, I produce a Squeek!!
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

After I was so broke that I just had to make one... (yes I know... that's broke!! :smile:) I bought a Walton's, and Oak, and a Clarke Sweetone. Good whistles all in their own way, but my Walton's was my favorite for a long time. I admit that the Clarke was a bit more 'perfectly' in tune, but I liked the sound of the Walton's the best. Very mellow tone.

Hey, I modeled my own after the sound of a Waltons if the mouthpiece is opened just right... it's a little brighter sounding, but closest I could manage with a thicker walled tubing!

'It's all good' LOL

Take care,
John

EDIT: Oh yeah, the clarke original I bought later on gave me the 'dizzy' wind requirements too. It's just what you like really. I liked the sound better, but could not maintain the air requirements too awfully long.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: McHaffie on 2003-02-19 12:12 ]</font>
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

I play Clarkes almost exclusively. I use the unpainted originals for my Civil War reenacting, because they very prominently have "1847" embossed on them. But they do seem to take a LOT more air than my Sweetone or my Susato. The Susato seems to be easiest for me, I can play a long time without taking a breath on the curved and tiny windway. But it clogs up quicker.

The C natural on the Sweetone seems to be out of tune -- I'm not sure whether flat or sharp, I need to listen more closely to it tomorrow. That's the only note that really bugs me.

I also have a Chris Abell -- but it only comes out for session.

I did notice that on the Susato and Abell whistles, I have to be careful I am covering up the side of the hole closest to the palm of my hand. That's the side where I seem to have more leaks, rather than the fingertip side.

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Rowena

Post by Rowena »

Hey Turner,

The only problem I have with the Clarke seems to be a humidity thing - maybe I got lucky?

There are definately people on the board who know way more than me about this - could you try a search, or even start a new thread asking for help?

I haven't been here all that long, but I've never seen a question that hasn't had a response.

Good luck!

Rowena.
Conley

Post by Conley »

I adore my Clarke D Original. I've tried a few others, but I always come back to my Clarke. I'm afraid I often gush over it at the drop of a hat...*restrains self heroically*

Of course, I'm only in the beginning throes of WhOA, so we'll see...
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

I use my Clark original D for playing when I don't want to annoy the rest of the family, especially the cat. I like the quieter sound but the wood block gets to me after awhile. My Sindt D is my favorite whistle, especially after I changed barrels as suggested on C&F, with a Feadog (I like the thicker brass of the Feadog, plus the C natural sounds a bit better to me). I'm thinking of getting a wooden whistle for playing English and American songs. Now that I have full blown disorder what do you all think would be the best buy for the dwindling supply of money in my wallet?