Playing Simple

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mariajeff

Playing Simple

Post by mariajeff »

I ran across a quote by Neil Young that makes sense to me:

I like to play with people who can play simple and are not threatened by other musicians thinking they can't play.
And that eliminates 99 percent of the musicians.

This, I think, has definite application to people who play irish music. Sometimes I want to give it all up after looking at all the youtube phenoms, esp. the young peeps you commonly see on "Comhaltas" postings playing cleanly and competently at a blistering speed.

But then I am reminded of what Neil says. In my mind, playing "simple" is not easy. And speed and ornamentation have their place, but only their place.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Re: Playing Simple

Post by Julia Delaney »

Great post. Absolutely agree.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Hmmm ... yes. I agree as well. At least as far as the KISS instruction goes.

But you do realise, mariajeff, that you've eliminated yourself as well from Neil Young's 'people he likes to play with'? After all, it looks like you feel threatened by those
mariajeff wrote:young peeps you commonly see on "Comhaltas"
:)

[And in case you think I'm just being mean, I have a serious point in there somewhere ...]
Last edited by benhall.1 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mariajeff

Post by mariajeff »

Yes, benhall.1, you're right, I do feel threatened, I think that's why I posted this. I'm guessing I'm not alone, and I need to be reminded of Neil's principle on at least a weekly basis.

As a freshman at Rutgers College in NJ, USA in 1977, I used to frequent a used record and book store on George Street in New Brunswick called "Half Thoughts." An excellent jazz guitarist, (let's call him "Butler") was a friend/hanger on of the proprietor, and was usually found in or around the store on most days. One day we got to talking about Neil, and Butler says, "You know, man, he needs a real guitarist, etc." And I said that Neil needs no such thing, it wouldn't be Neil otherwise, and wouldn't be nearly as powerful. Listen to the "simple" electric guitar solo on "Southern Man." Still gives me chills.

Butler, I later learned, ended up in L.A. doing reels, jigs, etc. in a hard core metal band. Would like to have heard that.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I see you've posted the same thought over on the session.org. It'll be interesting to see if/how responses differ between the two sites.
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

more about neil young...... listen his new album 'le noise '......
only electric guitar and his voice....... such great album.....!
marin
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The problem is ofcourse that it's never about 'simple' or 'fast'. Look at the great players who are/were supposedly 'simple' in style. Micho Russell didn't do anything complicated for example. Until you try play like him.

I think generally 'less is more'. But not when it's an excuse for lack of ability.
My brain hurts

mariajeff

Post by mariajeff »

Well stated, Mr. Gumby, esp. the last sentence.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Mr.Gumby wrote:But not when it's an excuse for lack of ability.
Agreed. Play "simply" or "slowly" because you choose to, not because you can't play any other way. It seems like (in real life anyway) the majority of people I hear advocating playing slowly or simply, don't have the ability to play faster or more intricately. At least when they're complaining of youth and players playing too fast... well, good ones anyway. I'm right there with the complaints of people playing too rushed. But I think that's a different kettle of fish.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I thought that playing a tune slowly and simply left a person's mistakes out in the open. Intonation, timing, breath control, etc. are still important and piss poor playing would be apparent whether one is fumbling with speed or if the playing is at a pace that leaves mistakes naked and out in the open. Am I missing something?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Here are two versions of "At Last"
One by Etta James
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVI254QGSQ4
One by Christine Aguilera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njph0QyXcKs

I have nothing against Christine but I don't think she caught the mood to this song at all. The theme of this song should not be to show off her range and skills.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

I've given this a lot of thought over the years, and here are my conclusions:

First, let me lay out some rankings of ability:

Beginner (struggling but learning)
Fair (starting to get the hang of it)
Good (can make it through a tune pleasantly enough)
Very Good (impressive)
Excellent (professional)
Outstanding (virtuoso)

There's nothing official about this; it just provides a baseline for discussion. Now, my contention is that to play classical music with a sense of satisfaction, one must feel he or she is at least Good - Very Good would be better. The reason is, the music is very unforgiving in most cases and really suffers if not played accurately, cleanly, with good expression and at tempo. On the other hand, trad can get by on Good and even Fair (IMO) because the music is fun to play and fun to listen to even with the occasional bum note, imperfect tuning, less-than-perfect embouchure, and slower-than-dance-ready tempo. It is music for people, not necessarily professionals. It can be as difficult and eloquent as classical music, but it doesn't HAVE to be in order to give pleasure.

So I say, love the tune you're with. That's why we play it. You don't have to get paid for it or be on YouTube.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Well, I'm not a professional and not particularly skilled, as you well know, but I'm pretty unforgiving about the music.

(Does getting parking money, a few pints and a meal count as being a pro? Probably not :D )

It's about the musicianship, a striving to improve and love of learning and sharing with others.

Being out of tune and off tempo are not something to excuse.

It makes me cringe and takes the fun out it.

Especially if I'm the one doing it. :D

I'll be good yet though.

You got the Golden Keyboard yet?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

It's all in the feel, ain't it?

I mean, if you play a tune, song, whatever, and it's musical, has the right feel or groove, that's what it's all about. I don't think one needs to have blazing technique to be an excellent musician. For music is about making the magic happen. Oftentimes, blazing technique actually gets in the way. Maybe I'm just saying that because I don't have blazing technique. But I can think of many players in many different genres that are great but not speed demon, techno gods, e.g. Miles Davis, David Gilmore. How about the singer Sean Keane, one of my favorites.

Anyways, I was also thinking about this today. Trying to stay focused on what I think is important and not get discouraged being overly concerned about fluff.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Yeah.
Last edited by Julia Delaney on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale