R&R #2041 on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkP
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

R&R #2041 on Ebay

Post by MarkP »

...and no reserve, should be interesting to see what it goes for (complete with the label signatures of Mr Rudall and Rose)

"in good condition with no scratches or repairs at all" (apart from the big chunk out of it and the cracked barrel)

"box in outstanding condition" (apart from the eschucheon and lock).

Wrong date of manufacture. Is that a metal head tuning indicator sticking out there?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/380321409114

He also has a Boosey Pratten perfected and a Rudall Carte (key system)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk//380321407107
Mark
jemtheflute

Re: R&R #2041 on Ebay

Post by jemtheflute »

He appears to have muddled up parts of his blurbs - mostly same info for the R&R 8-key as for the RC&Co. 1867, some of it clearly inappropriate.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

mmmm
crack in the head through the embouchure.
it does't looks so good ... the wood looks a bit worn... strange.
but is a Rudall so nothing to say. it worthy all the money you can spend.

BTW this lucky australian...found three gem flutes and he probably have no clue about it..
I bid that he paid few dollars for all of them.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I think he just has a standard text for all his items (same for the Pratten) and adapts it a bit each time. Everything he's selling is in 'perfect' condition...apart from all the things wrong with them, which are then specified. Nothing Jon couldn't fix up easily enough I'd have thought.

PS. then again if you want a nice playing Rudall I know Dave Migoya has a few available even if they're not on Ebay
Mark
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Having 300 Rudalls will not be enough!
I really like Jon's work but this is a work for Batman!, Hu! No, I mean Hammy! :)

PS
ehi! I've manage to remove the extra -"e" in my username!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

He says the Boosey has silver keys too, when they're clearly GS - obviously not an expert, though seems to have had at least some good advice. None of the work needing doing to the R&R looks too bad - at least it is more-or-less all there (loss of the key would be a bad stumbling block). Clearly a R&R with a #2000 series serial no. must be mid-1830s.

I wouldn't mind betting the cleaning rod/screw-driver with the Boosey is actually a Rudall one (looks like to me) and belongs most likely to the 1867.

He's certainly picked up a remarkable collection!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

He's certainly picked up a remarkable collection!
Looks like a house clearance business, wouldn't mind finding those in my attic
Mark
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:None of the work needing doing to the R&R looks too bad - at least it is more-or-less all there (loss of the key would be a bad stumbling block). Clearly a R&R with a #2000 series serial no. must be mid-1830s.
Did you note the crack in the body near the long F, along the finger holes?
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

kkrell wrote: Did you note the crack in the body near the long F, along the finger holes?
that's another problem to fix. obviously a very good restorer will not have problem with all those things.
(except maybe for the crack through the embouchure).
greystone

Post by greystone »

Ah - AUSTRALIA - The land of milk and Rudall's !?!?!? :)
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

yep, hadn't noticed the body section crack, the list is lengthening! Makes a bit of a mockery of the language used in the description but good photos, to be fair, so it's clear enough what's being sold and what needs doing.
Mark
radcliff

Post by radcliff »

MarkP wrote: but good photos, to be fair, so it's clear enough what's being sold and what needs doing.
This because we cannot see the rest of the flute.... Wooonderful surprises to the buyer!
Mike Meyerstein
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Meyerstein »

how do you insure a flute like this for shipping? I want to put my R&R #1364 on ebay but DHL say they won't ship antiques at all and the Post Office will ship it but won't insure it
"The religion of one age becomes the literary entertainment of the next" Ralph Waldo Emerson
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i'd love to know who his "flautist" expert is that says the "surface crack" to the barrels don't affect the playability. What hogwash.
At least this guy didn' t have the gaul to put a high reserve. That tempers all the dumbness of the ad.

How to insure? Homeowner's policies.

I've never had an issue insuring any of my flutes for shipping ... but cracking isn't something they'll insure against. Just theft or loss or breakage. Nobody insures against cracking (except maybe the manufacturer for a short period after it's made).

All my flutes are insured under my homeowner's policy. Full value. You never know.
Mike Meyerstein
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Meyerstein »

David;

did you tell the shipping company that it (the flute, that is) was an antique?