What Wood for Whistle and Why? (New related question added o

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sunnywindo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sunnywindo »

So I've been dreaming of a wooden whistle. But I am left wondering about the different kinds of wood. There are so many. Obviously, there is a difference in color. But what are some of the other differences? Are some woods better for whistles than others? What kinds of wood have you (board members) choosen for your whistles and what factors made you decide on that wood. Was it color, availability, or something else? Is there a preference amoung whistlers for favoring one wood over others? Looking forward to your responses. :smile: TY!

-LOTR-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sunnywindo on 2003-02-19 13:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sunnywindo on 2003-02-22 14:01 ]</font>
McHaffie
antispam: No

Post by McHaffie »

Boy have you opened up a can of worms!!! :grin:

It varies from person to person I'm sure, and I've never made a wooden whistle, but I HAVE made a few 5-hole pentatonic scale Native American flutes. I found cedar to have my favorite overall tone.

I am betting that some people purchased their wooden whistle based on the sound you can get from different woods. I know it makes a marked difference in sound as far as the 'flutes' I've made.

I'm sure you'll get more details from others!! :smile:

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

(with apologies to Bing Crosby...)

I'm dreaming of a wood whistle,
Just like the ones I used to blow,
Cause they look so pretty
And they smell so nifty
And the grain is knarled like little bows

With every order that I write!
Brass and nickel, silver shines so bright!
As I order up more whistles left and right.

:lol:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2003-02-19 14:06 ]</font>
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Wellll.....

I have heard that what kind of wood you use for whistles does not have much affect on the sound. However, I also play the Native American flute, and the type of wood does have diffrent sound "flavors".
But, NA flutes tend to be larger than most whistles. Also, with NA flutes the sound is created by a diffrent design than what is used with whistles. So, my bet is that depending on the size of the whistle, the type of wood will have more or less effect on the sound.

Happy Playing,
Sage
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I would give blackwood serious thought. There must be reasons for its dominance in woodwind manufacture.
Reasonable person
Walden
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Just like the ones I used to blow,
Cause they look so pretty
And they smell so nifty
And the grain is knarled like little bows

With every order that I write!
Brass and nickel, silver shines so bright!
As I order up more whistles left and right.

You had to go there! You just HAD to go there! Now I can't get White Christmas out of my head. ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH ! ! ! !
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Course it gets a whole new smell once you grease it up with a petroleum product.
Reasonable person
Walden
markv

Post by markv »

On 2003-02-19 14:50, Walden wrote:
Course it gets a whole new smell once you grease it up with a petroleum product.
Walden I sure hope nobody quotes you out of context with this statement!

Mark V.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Avoid soft woods. They're more prone to dings and scratches and may not hold a finish as well. Whistles of the same wood vary from the same maker, so it's hard to compare tone differences based upon type of wood.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-19 15:10, markv wrote:
On 2003-02-19 14:50, Walden wrote:
Walden I sure hope nobody quotes you out of context with this statement!
I do to. I was referring to petroleum based bore oils, as opposed to almond oil and the like.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Ah, a subject close to my heart. The stock answer, as has been pointed out, is that the wood for a whistle makes very little difference in the sound. Glenn Schultz has told me exactly that; the sound is almost exclusively in the design of the windway and blade.

I'm not sure I buy that completely. I hate to think that I pay the premium for wooden whistles just for the look and feel. OTOH, I do believe that the variation between different handmade and -voiced whistles is greater than the actual, real contribution of the particular type of wood.

All that said, my favorite wood for whistles is boxwood. By a longshot. It has a (to my ears at least) very warm sound, a wonderful feel, and even a nice smell. It takes more care than other types of wood -- it tends to absorb and give off moisture more readily, so needs to be oiled more often. I'm quite fond of cocobolo, too. I'm not crazy about blackwood -- it seems to lack individuality.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Paul

Post by Paul »

A while ago Sturob posted a picture of some pink ivory Abells. Those are absolutely gorgeous.
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

Well that's cool to find out. I didn't figure it would make much difference what kind of wind instrument it was..... I didn't realize it wouldn't make much difference. Oh well, learn somethin' new every day! :grin:

I don't own any wood whistles personally, so I would bet on everyone elses opinions!!! :smile:

Take care all,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Have any of you whistle smiths here ever made a whistle out of olive wood? I'm curious, because it's so beautiful, but I don't know how suitable it is for lathing, or how well it wears.

I'm looking at putting in an order for a wooden whistle this summer, so I'm curious about the virtues of various woods as well.

Redwolf
chas

Post by chas »

On 2003-02-19 17:11, Redwolf wrote:
Have any of you whistle smiths here ever made a whistle out of olive wood?
I've seen pics of at least one whistle Paul Busman's made from olivewood. It is lovely, but I have no regrets getting a bocote whistle from him. Think rosewood or cocobolo with a finer, more complex brass-colored grain.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.