New whistler

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
coryfor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

New whistler

Post by coryfor »

I want to start learning the tin whistle can anyone recommend the best one to get? A friend gave me clarke sweetone for my b'day ,but i didnt know if this was a good one or not, it seems very hard to play, ex.. getting the air flow right and not squeaking. I am possibly looking at getting another one but i dont know which would be the best one.
Kypfer

Re: New whistler

Post by Kypfer »

The Clarke Sweetone is as good as they get for a beginner's whistle. Don't blow too hard, make sure your fingers are closing the holes properly (without squeezing) and practice for five or ten minutes at a time several times a day ... use the sheet that came with the whistle as your first reference if you have nothing else. Within a few days you'll wonder what all the fuss was about, within a few weeks you'll probably think the Sweetone is as good as a whistle need be ... which might not be far from the truth :D

Enjoy ... and good luck
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

A serious whistler can certainly do better than a Sweetone (the tuning is pretty poor) but they are one of the easiest to get a sound out of so your problems are definitely due to inexperience. You would do fine to work on your breathing with the whistle you have for now as it will be more forgiving than most other models. The seam down the back of them can be quite an irritant to some people while other seem to manage it well enough. If anything it may help to let you know when you're gripping the whistle too tightly (you'll know when you have a deep impression through your thumbs).

Stick with it for a while, it takes some finesse to blow softly through the whistle at first without breaking the notes. Asking this community which whistle to buy will get you a hundred different answers but you can learn on just about anything until you have the discernment yourself to pick a whistle you like.
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Welcome!.....inexperience is the only problem you have right now and all the above posts are telling you the truth. It won't be long until you will be making progress on the Clarke Sweetone. It was one of the first whistles I bought tho....not my favorite whistle from the start it is/was easy to play and by luck mine is A440 in pitch. I will just throw this out there for you...A Dixon Trad Brass "D" whistle and it's a piece of cake to play and sounds great(you can tune it as well....whistle & Drum has them)) Now, it probably will be just as hard to play as your Sweetone is today for you! Maybe not?( if the Sweetone whistle is a bummer for you buy another whistle....don't give up!) All the Generation whistles will be difficult to play for a Noob even the Jerry freeman Tweaked Gens. To answer your question tho...are there better whistles out there? Oh my God YES! Stick with your Sweetone for awhile you will know when to move on to another whistle...if, money is not a problem you might try other brands. Best of luck to you! Have fun!

http://www.tuxedomusic.com
Last edited by mickey66 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Welcome, Corrfor!
The more you whistle, the less you will have those irritating squeaks! The Sweetone is a good whistle (I had a Meg until the head cracked). The only flaw mine had was, if you blew too softly in the first octave, it sounded toyish.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

I think when I started my buying order went something like this...
I ordered a Gen D & Walton Little Black Whistle D from somewhere.
Then when that seemed not to be working so well, I ordered a tweaked Sweetone D & tweaked Mellow Dog C/D set (I think those came from Doc).
And then, when much to my dismay I still sucked, I dropped beaucoup bucks on an Oz D and I magically became much better.
:thumbsup:
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
coryfor

Post by coryfor »

I found a whistle on ebay it is an older one and the name plate says "signal" has anyone heard of these?, im thinking of getting it cause it is only like ten bucks!
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Okay, well the tactful/gentle approach didn't work, so...

No, really. The Sweetone is all the whistle you are going to need for a long long time. Many of us still play Sweetones (or Megs - which are the same thing) regularly and love them. It also happens to be one of the easiest whistles to learn on (IMO).

The best thing you could do right now - and for a long while - is to NOT buy another whistle. Instead keep practicing the Sweetone whistle you have. :)

Or, if you really want to know which one is "best" - well, O'Riordans are right up there at the top, and considered the best by some of the top players. They are also around $1,000, and there is a two year + waiting list. ...But look at the bright side, that's at least 2 years you can spend saving $1,000 and playing the Sweetone.

As for the Signal whistle... can't tell you much about a whistle I haven't played, but my advice is to leave the vintage whistles to the collectors. A lot of the time they arrive so banged up that they aren't much good for playing, only to find out after fixing them that they really weren't that good to begin with. And as a beginner, you'll have no idea which is what or how. Save your $10, put it toward your down payment on the O'Riordan, and play the Sweetone.

Beginning to see the trend here? Good. Now go practice your Sweetone. And if you need help with a particular problem as you are figuring it out, there are lots of wonderful people here who love to help - just ask.
Playing, not paying.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

AvienMael wrote:As for the Signal whistle... can't tell you much about a whistle I haven't played, but my advice is to leave the vintage whistles to the collectors. A lot of the time they arrive so banged up that they aren't much good for playing, only to find out after fixing them that they really weren't that good to begin with. And as a beginner, you'll have no idea which is what or how. Save your $10, put it toward your down payment on the O'Riordan, and play the Sweetone.
Seconded. Well OK, I'm not a big fan of the Sweetone, but for reasons that will not really matter at this stage.

coryfor: Consider this ... Whistles are unlike any other instrument in the world*, in that there's no such thing as a "beginner's grade" whistle. If you look at what some of the finest whistle players in the world play, you'll see they're often playing the exact same <$10 whistles that beginners play: Generations, Feadógs, Waltons, Clarkes. So if you're itching to spend another $10, get yourself one of those. Or for around $35 a Freeman Tweaked whistle or a Dixon Trad.

[ *Hyperbole alert, I know. I can think of others. ]

Any of those whistles can last you a lifetime. One of my very favorite whistles is my Generation D that I bought around 1976 for <$5. I still play it nearly every day. And I'm not a beginner anymore ... :wink:

Or put your extra $$$ toward building your collection of Irish music recordings. That will do far more to improve your whistle playing than a more expensive whistle.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

If you're looking for "antique bargains" check out http://cgi.ebay.com/5-VTG-Whistles-reco ... 230e8433e4

two Gen's, two Clarkes and a Shaw, all for $25 ... that's "like" $5 each ... I doubt any of them will be easier to play than your Sweetone, but if you've got the money to spend ... go for it, it's a cheap lesson.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
maki

Post by maki »

Hello coryfor.
I'm a brand new whistler too, so no advice from this quarter,
But, here are some useful links I've been given. You may find them useful too;
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html
http://www.whistlethis.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanDunsSJ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFcKIcdK_Is
http://www.youtube.com/user/whistletutor
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/
God bless, and good luck.
riverman

Post by riverman »

JTC111 wrote:I think when I started my buying order went something like this...
I ordered a Gen D & Walton Little Black Whistle D from somewhere.
Then when that seemed not to be working so well, I ordered a tweaked Sweetone D & tweaked Mellow Dog C/D set (I think those came from Doc).
And then, when much to my dismay I still sucked, I dropped beaucoup bucks on an Oz D and I magically became much better.
:thumbsup:
:D :D
riverman

Post by riverman »

MT, I respect you and your wise posts very highly, and I don't want to start "that" debate again, but I must disagree when you say, "Whistles are unlike any instrument in the world."
\
Like everyone, I started with cheapies, including a whistle I still love, the Clarke original. Then I bought a Burke D session. My daughter the flautist said, "All the problems I was going to tell you about in your playing went away when you got your new whistle."

I know a certain whistle won't make you a better player, and I know experienced players can make a cheapie whistle sound like solid gold. But I still believe a hand-tuned (or hand tweaked) whistle can give at least a beginner an edge he wouldn't otherwise have.
This just being my own experience.

Now, I am going to abandon the Chiffboard for eight months to escape flaming!!

:lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

the opposing argument has been made many times also.

If you do go the distance
then learning to compensate for the
less than stellar instrument
will make you one of the players
than can make a
riverman wrote:cheapie whistle sound like solid gold.
:D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

riverman wrote:Like everyone, I started with cheapies, including a whistle I still love, the Clarke original. Then I bought a Burke D session. My daughter the flautist said, "All the problems I was going to tell you about in your playing went away when you got your new whistle."
You're fooling yourself... and a comment from a non-player doesn't really mean all that much (as rude as it sounds to say it, it's true). The only thing that changed is that you got yourself a very forgiving whistle that practically plays itself. You still have the same bad habits and lack of control you had when you were playing whatever you had before. The idea that you NEED a more expensive whistle to get better is bogus. You said yourself that "Experienced whistlers can make a cheapie whistle sound like solid gold." Well, where do you suppose this "experience" comes from? It comes from buckling down and learning to make what you have work. You learn to play the whistle the way it needs to be played and in so doing you learn how to intentionally adjust your breathing, cross-fingerings, etc. to suit. A hand-made whistle does not give a beginner an "edge", it just whitewashes the whole thing and fools you into thinking you've made progress when you haven't.

I guess it's a question of goals. I'm not saying that buying a hand made whistle is a bad thing--that's for you to decide--but if you think it's helping you get better or that you can't possibly get better at playing a cheap whistle, you're only fooling yourself. The one area I can see justifying "upgrading" whistles is when it comes to tuning. If a whistle is not in tune with itself (as I've experienced with most Sweetones/Megs) then the longer you play them the longer you're training your ear to hear incorrect pitch, which can have negative effects long term if you don't stay aware of it or already know better. Even then, the solution doesn't have to be spending $180 on a Burke. Getting a $10 Feadog or Generation will set you right back up again.