Upgrading my flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andref
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Upgrading my flute

Post by andref »

Hi there,

this is my first post here. I've been a lurker for a while, but now is the time to finally ask a question.

I'm a beginner. I have a polymer keyless M&E with which I can produce a fairly decent sound and play along some tunes, not with the quality I would like, but I'm working hard and I'm not in a hurry!

However I would like to upgrade my flute because some tunes in the session I go I simply can't reach there. Tunes in A, F or D minor are near impossible for me. So I'm thinking of doing an upgrade so that I can start practice with keys and get a more flexible chromatic instrument.

But, I would like to ask some advice on this matter. Prices vary widely and I simply do not know would be the best choice. Also, as I live in mainland Europe I do not have access to hearing lots of instruments.

Anyhow,I will try to put down some of my questions:
- Should I go for a wooden instrument or are polymer instruments enough at my stage?
- Do any of you have any experience with keyed M&E blackwood? How do they compare to more expensive instruments like the Watson or Olwell?
- What makers do you suggest on the price range of the M&E 6 keyed? Or should I really bite the bullet and aim directly to a "better" but certainly more expensive instrument? (I kind of like the Watson and there are lot of good references)

I tried to search the forum looking for answers to these questions but it's quite difficult. If some of you can provide links where these questions have been asked and answered I would be happy!

Thanks for any help
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Upgrading my flute

Post by tucson_whistler »

hmm... i think i'm going to duck some of the questions you asked; just so you know, there are sort of politically hot questions that are better not asked on a public board like this. For example, is a Watson better than a blackwood M&E is a question that can cause a lot of problems; if someone says yes, then somebody with a blackwood M&E will post a contrary opinion. so maybe keep that in mind; choice of flute is a very personal thing for lots of people, and what works for one person might not work for another.

that said, if you like the Watson and can afford it, get it. you'll be happy. :)

if you want to get buy on something cheaper, a 6-key M&E is an option. you might also consider buying an F flute. you're only one sharp away from playing in A with your D flute, and if you got an F that would cover you for F and D minor. Mr. Cronnolly makes a polymer F (i prefer the ebonite; you can see a video of Mr. Eskin playing one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0LMVTawX8)

anway, good luck! :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Oh well, I think we can safetly say that Watson flutes are objectively better than M&E.
Quality comparison between high end flutes is more difficult (M&E are more in the medium end, although I haven't tried the wooden version).
It's great that you want a keyed flute, just keep in mind that most of D minor(/dorian) tunes go below low D and that you'll have to do some octave jumping, if you don't buy an 8 keyed flute.
Anyway, 1700 euros is a very reasonable price for a six keyed flute, I'd go for it. Or you could try your luck with an antique, usually much cheaper unless you go for an original Rudall but, again, you gotta be lucky, and antiques are usually less easy to blow and this can be frustrating at the beginning (but then they turn up to be beautiful instruments).
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Just another option you may think of, an E bamboo (or keyless wooden flute or Tipple) will give you your A tunes played in G fingering and a C flute is handy for playing in Dminor and F often less work than doing the same on a D keyed flute. Or whistles alternatively. I use both approaches. I am learning Black Pat's, a tune played in F, this week and learned it in G to play with G versions which transfers over to playing it in F on my C flute and am learning it with the keys on my D flute as an exercise and technical challenge to myself and for different sound. Another example is the Contradiction a tune I always found relatively hard in A on a D flute but taking it down to G fingering on an E flute has made it not much more difficult than anything else.The last M and E I tried was an 8 key in ploymer (or ebonite?). It was a decent flute did the job well for the price. If your patient a good antique will come up for not much more than an M and E. Whatever happened to that Potter flute? It looked like a real good price for an antique keyed flute and reportedly played at 440.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Whatever happened to that Potter flute? It looked like a real good price for an antique keyed flute and reportedly played at 440.
Two Potters were around in the last 2 months, one with 6 keys with short foot, the other one 6 keys again but with long keyed foot and 4 keys on the body (C and long F missing). I bought the first one and I'm extremely pleased with it :D
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I would like to upgrade my flute because some tunes in the session I go I simply can't reach there. Tunes in A, F or D minor are near impossible for me.
Nothing at all against buying that keyed flute, great idea if you fancy it, but would you be able to say a bit more about where you are, your session and the tunes?

Do you hear a lot of regular tunes in F and D minor? Are they mainly played on fiddle? Are other people changing instruments to play them (i.e. are we talking about sessions led by 'C' concertinas/boxes/pipes etc playing tunes that are 'normally' assumed to be in G and Em?). If so, maybe just get yourself a keyless C flute/whistle, learn the tunes the 'D' way and swap flutes around in the session (you'll need a few small changes to some tunes but you'd pick them up).

Common fiddle tunes in 'A' can be tricky but should be quite manageable on your keyless D flute by half-holing (or just bluffing) the occasional G#.

PS. might say something different if you're in an area with more traditional tunes genuinely in F and Dminor (Paddy Carty teritory?).
Mark
andref

Post by andref »

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far! Never considered having a F or E flute. That is really something to think about. Please keep the advices coming. Fresh perspectives are really important.

In the mean time I would like to hear if there is any hands on experience with M&E keyed flutes? (they are at a sale now and could be really worth it, for a tight budget like mine)

For Mark: I'm in the last corner of Europe, Portugal! Only one Irish Session here!

best

Andre'
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I'm in the last corner of Europe
sounds like Donegal!

it would still be interesting to know which Irish tunes you're hearing regularly at sessions in F and D minor, and whether they are being played on 'C' instruments.
Mark
andref

Post by andref »

MarkP wrote:
I'm in the last corner of Europe
sounds like Donegal!

it would still be interesting to know which Irish tunes you're hearing regularly at sessions in F and D minor, and whether they are being played on 'C' instruments.
As for tune names, that is difficult. I'm still struggling to memorize the tunes I can play :D
But the melody is mostly covered by a concertina (C/G - i guess), a violin and occasionally a bouzuki
(The person that plays the concertina also plays the tin whistle, for the tunes in D and G and related modes
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

The person that plays the concertina also plays the tin whistle, for the tunes in D and G and related modes
I think that's the answer. Try playing some of those concertina tunes on a C whistle and you may find that all your problems are solved.
Mark
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Othannen wrote:
Whatever happened to that Potter flute? It looked like a real good price for an antique keyed flute and reportedly played at 440.
Two Potters were around in the last 2 months, one with 6 keys with short foot, the other one 6 keys again but with long keyed foot and 4 keys on the body (C and long F missing). I bought the first one and I'm extremely pleased with it :D
The 6-key Potter (4 keys on the body) is still for sale, but the barrel crack reopened, so it is currently back with Jon Cornia. Let me know if you are still interested via PM.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I am a fan of short footed, 6-key antique flutes and am only an intermediate level player at best, so take what follows with that in mind.

The early M&E keyless I had as a first conical flute was a brick, and I can't imagine what a keyed polymer flute from the factory would feel like, but doubt it would be an improvement. Don't know if Michael makes one in ebonite, but you may want to go that way if you can.

I recently took a flute class with a young girl who had an 8 key M&E. She got decent volume and tone out of the instrument and was studying to go off to Ireland to compete in the under 12 age group for flute after her success in the states in similar competitions, so I guess objectively ostensibly more knowlegable folks than I thought it sounded good also. I personally find the chromed post mounted keys and Bohm style foot joint of the M&E unaesthetic, but they seem to work well enough, so should be good for playing the tunes you are looking to pickup.

M&E flutes do not typically hold their value as well as flutes from other manufacturers, but if it is a really good deal...

If you are contemplating an antique, I do have a 6-key short foot Metzler that I have restored that I am planning on putting back up for sale once I get a chance to shoot better pictures. It is a great flute, and looks much better than as featured here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=78262, I just haven't been playing it much since I restored my 6-key Hall and Sons. This is the real deal, though, and as an antique has all the typical compromises, and advantages, that come with the territory. You would still have to "fold" some tunes, as unlike an 8-key the flute doesn't go below D, but it is fully chromatic with medium to large size toneholes and a generous embochure. Needless to say please PM with any interest.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

dunnp wrote:Just another option you may think of, an E bamboo (or keyless wooden flute or Tipple) will give you your A tunes played in G fingering and a C flute is handy for playing in Dminor and F often less work than doing the same on a D keyed flute.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Or a C whistle. REgardless, you'll have to do something while you wait.

Me, I'm a spud: if given a choice between playing a Dm tune on my 6-key Olwell or my Delrin C flute (or even a C whistle), I'll go for the C instrument, thanks.

BTW, Dave Copley just started making E flutes. The one I heard is a dandy.

Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

hey, this thread really took off. these are all great comments. :)

OP, there was a thread recently where someone reviewed an M&E keyed flute. if you search for it you should find it; they commented that the keys needed some work and that they payed someone to fix up the keys, and then were very happy with it.

Mr. Cronnolly does make 6- and 8-keyed versions of his ebonite flute; last i heard he had one left in stock, and was eventually planning to make more.

i play a keyless ebonite M&E as my main flute; i love the tone i get from it--i prefer it to any of the several of the delrin flutes available from more usually respected makers, and often even to much more expensive blackwood flutes. i don't know for sure if it's the ebonite or the fully-lined head, or some combination of both, but it sounds great to me. (if you search for ebonite i think you'll find a lot more on that topic : )

fyi, i also have a "german" 10-key flute that i bought on ebay for less than $100 and had Jon C fix for me (i posted pictures recently if you want to see it) so that the total cost was still less than $300. you have to be careful though, antiques as mentioned have caveats.

i guess somebody should also mention if you want to just cover as many keys (F, C, etc) as possible as cheaply as possible, Tipples are an option. i just bought an Eb off this board with the lip plate and wedge, and it's a great flute--and i got for $50. :)

anyway, so the options for you are endless :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

tucson_whistler wrote: (if you search for ebonite i think you'll find a lot more on that topic : )

fyi, i also have a "german" 10-key flute that i bought on ebay for less than $100 and had Jon C fix for me (i posted pictures recently if you want to see it) so that the total cost was still less than $300. you have to be careful though, antiques as mentioned have caveats.
Just stay far away from the $35 molded ebonite flutes produced in India that appear to be modeled on early 20th century German flutes. I've got one and they are only useful for wall art. (See sticky on e-bay flutes for more info)

By all accounts Eric got very lucky on the German flute he picked up. He got it initially for less than they usually sell for, Jon's repairs appear to be quite reasonably priced, and the particular flute was one of the "good ones". If you check the board you will find plenty of reports of unlabeled German flutes of the same era being only good for lamp construction. I guess there have to be a bunch of good ones out there as well, after all they were used as orchestral standards for a time, weren't they? For example, typically an actual Meyer is thought of as worth a trial as opposed to a nach-Meyer or unlabeled, but you would have to hear from someone with more experience than I have with antiques to know for sure.

See this site for more info: http://www.oldflutes.com/articles/meyer.htm
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen