Universal time zone

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Universal time zone

Post by benhall.1 »

I was going to post about this anyway, and then I heard this afternoon that the UK government is thinking about time zones and what to do with the clocks in the UK.

The UK's government's idea so far seems to be to have what is currently summer time in winter, and put the clocks forward yet another hour in summer, so achieving "double summer time". They say this will give us longer evenings and bring us into line with Europe, both of which things will, apparently, help our tourist trade.

But my idea, which I've been thinking about for ages and ages (since Thursday, in fact), and is therefore really well thought through, is to have just one time zone everywhere in the world. We could then also do away with the international date line.

The way I see it working is simple: people would just get used to the fact that 6am would be morning in one part of the world, but evening in another. There would be none of this daft translation of time from one place to another, and we'd know that if something were said to have happened at, say, 9:30 pm, anywhere in the world, it would have been 9:30 pm wherever we were too.

We could all celebrate major events together - like New Year, for instance.

It's such a simple idea. I mean, we don't change the months round just because we're in a different hemisphere, do we? We just get used to the fact that December is winter in the UK and summer in Oz.

So ... what do y'all think? You think I'm being stupid, don't you ...?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Universal time zone

Post by mutepointe »

Your idea has merit. So much so, that for people who live and work in multiple time zones, they've already been using your idea. They go by Greenwich Mean Time. Mostly, these people would be international spies and jewel thieves in the movies. The rest of us sedentary, law abiding citizens have too much to worry about what with our jobs and families and trying to keep the house and yard work up to date that we're really not looking for a new ways to cause social upheavel.

You'll be hard pressed to get any of us hard working citizens to try to make things simpler for tourists or international criminals. And if there is more evening time, that probably means more opportunity for the local criminals too.

You attempt to have us become a global community is worth some thought.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

You could probably do that with Greenwich Mean Time, and abolishing Daylight savings time, which is not the same from country to country (or even state in the US). A strange wasting of regulation time money etc. While their at it switch a ten hour clock and make time metric.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I.D.10-t wrote:While their at it switch a ten hour clock and make time metric.
Because Americans luuuuuuuuv metric.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've thought the same thing for a long time, Ben.

I never got my head around the reasons why schools in the UK operate from 9.00 to 3:30. On the Continent the times tend to be different.
Why do offices operate nine-to-five? I think once-upon-a-time they kept in line with the Stock Exchange.
Yes, it helps to have most things open at much the same times, but there's scope for a lot more leeway.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:While their at it switch a ten hour clock and make time metric.
Because Americans luuuuuuuuv metric.
Tell them it means only a having to work a 4 hour day* and they'll love it. PR worked for "Daylight Savings Time".

Don't mention the 17 minute lunch break
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I like the international date line and being able to call friends in Brisbane to find out what the following day is going to be like and get stock-market tips.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If we're going to have a universal time, my folks would vote for Beer Thirty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oii57ah ... re=related
白飞梦
Denny

Post by Denny »

oddly enough Mutie raises an issue for the certified drinkers....

"it's always after 12 o'clock somewhere."

What will they do?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
maki

Post by maki »

Denny wrote:oddly enough Mutie raises an issue for the certified drinkers....

"it's always after 12 o'clock somewhere."

What will they do?
Too easy!
It's always sunset somewhere.

To the O.P.-
How about the guber-ments leave us alone, and let people decide what is best for themselves?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:But my idea, which I've been thinking about for ages and ages (since Thursday, in fact), and is therefore really well thought through, is to have just one time zone everywhere in the world. We could then also do away with the international date line.
Actually, there are quite a few areas of activity where the use of UTC is fairly, er, universal, and the scenario you describe is more or less the case.

For example, I've been a ham radio operator since I was 14, and a shortwave listener even longer. And given the global, simultaneous nature of the hobby, nearly all timekeeping is done in UTC. Most HF-band hams keep a UTC 24-hour clock displayed, and you get quite used to thinking in dual times.

OTOH, my experience is that too many people have a weak enough grasp on 24-hour time, much less time zone shifting, to make this practical for everyday use. We've had friends call us from New York at 4 AM here to wish us good morning. Grrr.
benhall.1 wrote:put the clocks forward yet another hour in summer, so achieving "double summer time". They say this will give us longer evenings
Heavens, why not have everyone just move to the Shetlands. For lower latituters like me (33 north), northern Europe in the summer is weird enough as it is, with daylight until 10+ PM.

But I think bringing Britain and Ireland (you know, the Celtic Isles) into CET is not a bad idea. It does put you pretty far west of the solar meridian (~15 to 25 degrees). But most of France and Spain are that far off, and they seem to manage. Who the heck looks at the sky anymore? Everyone walks around heads-down anyway, texting on their mobiles. :-)

As for Daylight Saving time, I think it's one of the dumbest ideas ever inflicted on mankind. Curse you Benjamin Franklin! But that's different topic ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:Who the heck looks at the sky
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

All the time, here. It's my way of rolling my eyes.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:Actually, there are quite a few areas of activity where the use of UTC is fairly, er, universal, and the scenario you describe is more or less the case.
I'm glad that's the case. Now, is there any way that we can get some really popular activity, like, ooh, I dunno, posting on forums, perhaps, to depend on everyone having the same time around the world, and then, by degrees, I could have my wish?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:Now, is there any way that we can get some really popular activity, like, ooh, I dunno, posting on forums, perhaps, to depend on everyone having the same time around the world, and then, by degrees, I could have my wish?
I already live in a universal time zone: GST = Guru Standard Time. Scientists have yet to pin it down, but I suspect that it corresponds to the rotational behavior of some yet-to-be-discovered extrasolar planet. It sure doesn't correspond to that light-and-dark thingy that seems to happen on the other side of the household fixture that some people call a "window". Anyone who has seen me posting here at 3 AM can confirm this.

GST has some drawbacks. For example, whenever you arrive at a place, it turns out that you were supposed to be there 20 minutes earlier. And 60 years go by in the blink of an eye. How did that happen?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.