Chromatic Whistle Picture and Sounds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Chromatic Whistle Picture and Sounds

Post by OBrien »

Have you ever looked through O'Neill's Music of Ireland, wishing you could play those O'Carolan tunes with several flats at the beginning, but then just kept looking at the ones with one or two sharps, as usual? This morning, I found a couple with notes like E flat, B flat, F natural and runs with A, B flat and C natural and played them on my converted piccolo:

You can hear the results here:

http://www.obrienwhistles.com/OBPWwhisolo.html

Please excuse the execution- I've only been playing the instrument for a few days and two of the tunes are new to me today.
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Chromatic Whistle Picture and Sounds

Post by ducks »

That's fascinating! It's interesting how much more like a whistle than a piccolo it sounds.
sophie
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, that's fascinating.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

O'Brien, I have a question about the lowest note on Abigail Judge (the only track I listened to, I ruefully admit): is that the instrument's bell note?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I believe piccolos are now almost exclusively manufactured in the key of "C". I would assume that is the bell note on this.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I.D.10-t wrote:I believe piccolos are now almost exclusively manufactured in the key of "C". I would assume that is the bell note on this.
That's true, but it's a little misleading.
The fundamental scale of a piccolo or orchestral flute is really a D scale. The lower notes are just added on at the bottom for extended range (like a D+ whistle :D ). The same is true on the recorder. A Soprano recorder in C is really fingered much (but not exactly!) like a D whistle, with extra holes added on at the bottom to give you a C and C#. Similarly, an Alto recorder in F is like a G mezzo whistle with extra F and F# tacked on at the bottom.
So yes, the bell note of a piccolo is a C, but the fingering of the instrument is generally like a D whistle with extra keys for the additional chromatic notes.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I believe piccolos are now almost exclusively manufactured in the key of "C". I would assume that is the bell note on this.
I would assume so too, but what I don't know is the tune itself, or what key it was written in much less customarily played in, or whether it was transposed to better fit the instrument's compass (I presume not) or transposed just to play it with better ease (which is a "sin" you'll catch me doing often enough and with little remorse at all). I can't really know this instrument's pitch just on the basis of an unfamiliar tune, and I didn't do a pitch check on individual notes, so even if that lowest note was C, I have no way of knowing if it is the bell note, although I expect if it IS in fact C, then it probably must be the bell note. One could dare to assume so, given that a whistlemaker did the job. But even if I checked, I think you see my dilemma. For all I know, the instrument's bell note, C or not, might go lower than needed for the tune. Too many unknowns for little ol' me. In other words, pitch is not my question.

So, thus my question: "Is it the bell note?", which is all I ever wanted to know, and really quite simple. And mercifully more so than the reasons I've stated for it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Oops, poor reading on my part.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

One gets used to it. People read extraneous stuff into what I say all the time (not so much here, but in the 3D, and even there I think I choose my words on the fly carefully enough). I think it must be normal or something. I expect it's a side effect of what I call "the inner monologue".

The problem is that explanations mean more words, and that means more words to misinterpret according to the listener's filters. It can become very frustrating sometimes, and it also depends sometimes - but sadly, not necessarily - on how much beer is in the listener's ear.

It's all good. :)
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Yes, the lowest note in Abigail Judge, D, is the lowest note on my piccolo body, which does not have the C extension. The same is true of the other tunes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

O'Brien wrote:Yes, the lowest note in Abigail Judge, D, is the lowest note on my piccolo body, which does not have the C extension. The same is true of the other tunes.
Thank you! Whew. :wink:

The reason I ask is that anyone can hear that it is a very strong note, uncharacteristically strong for a whistle, so despite it having a whistle head, is that a result of the body, then? Or was that just a happenstance of the recording?
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Yep, even Boehm flute is grown up originally from a D instrument, they just made it longer and stuck keys on it to play notes below the D.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

wow, that thing is crazy looking. :) sounds good though. :)

is it still simple-system fingering? or is the fingering boehm-style?

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

It's Boehm, but the only change from a D whistle is F#. You do it with your bottom ring finger. The bottom index gives Fnat. For Cnat you lift your top thumb and keep the index down. I'm having a ton of fun with this thing- I'm working on The Liberty Bell march now (Monty Python theme).
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I would love to see and hear this on a simple system piccolo they seem to still go quite cheap on ebay if you look for them.