First forum... First whistle... First timer... Uber- newbe.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Downatpub
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

First forum... First whistle... First timer... Uber- newbe.

Post by Downatpub »

[*]Hello to any and all. I have gone over some of the notes and see that the D is the most common whistle. I have two more questions if you please.
1/ I can not see well enough to read the small musical notes on a page... Is it possible for a person to become a great whirled "by ear".

2/ I have a song I would like to start with but do not know which whistle to begin with. The song is "Ar Eireann Ni Neosainn Ce Hi" by the HIGH KINGS... Could someone kindly instruct this uber- new be? I'll be sippin' somethin' lovely until. I hear from you.

Thank you all in advance.

From
Downatpub
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: First forum... First whistle... First timer... Uber- newbe.

Post by DrPhill »

Welcome. This is a good place (or THE good place) to hang out if you want to find out about whistle related stuff.....

I am not experience enough to answer your questions, but I know that there are some here who will tell you that dots are an obstacle to learning properly. Myself, I still feel I need them.

But size need not be a problem. If you use a computer you can enlarge the dots on the screen in a number of ways, and if you print them then you can print them large. I use a program (free!) called ABC Explorer (there are plenty of others), which displays the tunes as large as you like on screen (or printer). You would need to encounter ABC to use it but this is no bad thing.

You can find that tune on the session if you want the dots. Or you could download audacity (another free program - there are others) and use it to slow down the tune (without changing the pitch) so that you can learn by playing along....

And I am sure there will be plenty more advice along soon......

Enjoy
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Downatpub

Post by Downatpub »

Thanks for that Phill;

I am not so computer savy but will give it a go.
I have never seen music sheets for the whistle... do they all appear as a picture of the whistle with the holes covered or not covered as in the examples given on this site. That certainly would be easier than normal notation, ta be sure.

Downatpub
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Bearing in mind that I am far from being an expert......

I started using 'whistle tab' as the 'pictures of the whistle with the holes covered or not covered' seem to be called. I found it to be a dead-end, and quickly adapted to using the standard dots. If you want to use notation then you might as well get used to standard notation - it will be easier in the long term.

MTGuru (I think, apologies if not) once rather elegantly pointed out that the standard dots are actually pictures of whistles! I wish I could find the thread where he did that.

As for computer literate - well you have made it to C&F, and posted. Using ABC is not really much more difficult. And a good ABC program will create a MIDI for you to listen to as well. I may be chastised for suggesting that though.
Phill

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

DrPhill wrote:MTGuru (I think, apologies if not) once rather elegantly pointed out that the standard dots are actually pictures of whistles! I wish I could find the thread where he did that.
Might this be the post you seek?
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Feadoggie wrote:
DrPhill wrote:MTGuru (I think, apologies if not) once rather elegantly pointed out that the standard dots are actually pictures of whistles! I wish I could find the thread where he did that.
Might this be the post you seek?
Perfect. Thanks Feadoggie.

See what a great place this downatpub?
Phill

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Downatpub wrote:[*]Hello to any and all. I have gone over some of the notes and see that the D is the most common whistle. I have two more questions if you please.
1/ I can not see well enough to read the small musical notes on a page... Is it possible for a person to become a great whirled "by ear".

2/ I have a song I would like to start with but do not know which whistle to begin with. The song is "Ar Eireann Ni Neosainn Ce Hi" by the HIGH KINGS... Could someone kindly instruct this uber- new be? I'll be sippin' somethin' lovely until. I hear from you.

Thank you all in advance.

From
Downatpub
Welcome!

Playing by ear is a great and necessary skill to develop. Whether or not you feel inclined to learn to sight reed sheet music is up to you. Whistle tab can be a help to some getting started just learning fingerings, etc. but it will limit the tunes you have written access to and ultimately you're back to your ear again. Again, it's up to you if it's something you want to pursue but I highly recommend you develop the ear.

Lovely song, by the way. Reminds me that I first heard it by DeDannan years ago. I checked out Youtube in search of your song by that artist and found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcNc_zUanSU

It looks/sounds like from the video that the whistle part is done on a D whistle (looks like a Clare whistle upon first glance) so you should be able to get this by ear with some listening and practice.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Howdy Downatpub, from a fellow Noob, Welcome.
What's your whistle?
I just got my first one, a Clarke Sweetone in D.

To the Elders-
I have a relevant (hopefully) question; what book is most recommended for beginners?
One for complete newbie’s, covering reading music, and all the rest.
Ryuookami

Post by Ryuookami »

Downatpub I've got a load of whistle tab songs on my computer which I could zip up and email or pm you if you want as its the way i'm learning. if you want them let me know.

People are right though learning either music notation or by ear is better but I'm finding using the whistle tab songs keeps my interest going as I dont have to stick to the one song.
tinman

Post by tinman »

Welcome, Downtapub. I have mostly lurked around here, for a few years, but it's a great place for whistle information. I would also encourage you to learn to play by ear, it will open many musical doors for you. Learning to read notation is also a worthwhile goal but I must admit that I remain notationally challenged.

Enjoy your whistle playing journey.

Tinman
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I have a relevant (hopefully) question; what book is most recommended for beginners?
... well, I don't consider myelf to be an "elder", even if I'm older than many :wink: but I can recommend Bill Och's "Clarke Tin Whistle" book, Robin Williamson's "The Penny Whistle Book" and Tom Maguire's "The Tin Whistle Book". They're all of a similar (high) standard. I have them all for two reasons : firstly they were second-hand (read cheap) and secondly they each have an extensive selection of tunes. They also each have another feature in common, the various basic exercises are given in a very understated way. It is assumed the student WILL study and practice them until they are mastered, before moving onto the next page. It's all too easy to think "I'll get back to that" when you can't quite get your fingers around a particular scale or phrasing ... there's no-one looking over your shoulder to say "Try that again!"

Good luck :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Whistle Free or Die

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

I like the Clarke book WITH the CD. I can read the notes but have trouble with the timing so the CD gets me started in the right direction.
Dont miss Ryan Duns....youtube lessons.
Most of all have fun and do ask the "elders " ( I love that phrase) any and all questions.
Susan
Susan
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Welcome, Downatpub! You'll love whistling forever!

I used to think I could not learn a tune without music. But I found if I listen carefully to a tune a number of times, I can "finger it out", and begin playing it slowly--and eventually speed up. Ryan Dunn's U-tube videos help. And the "Whistle This" site.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

First, Welcome, Downatpub!

Thanks for posting the link what a great video & song and the Clare "D" whistle sounds so good. Playing by ear is a good thing to learn but Videos are good as well....check-out Father Ryan Dunn on youtube free lessons with lots of songs. Good luck and Cfiff & fipple is a good hang.

http://www.tuxedomusic.com
Poppi

Post by Poppi »

Welcome. I'm a newbie to this site, too, and have been playing the whistle for just over a year. Learning by ear is not as difficult as you may imagine, and it is very rewarding and satisfying. As has been mentioned before in posts and articles, one advantage of aural learning is the ease of memorizing and keeping the tune in memory. I am using both methods, aural and dots, to develop a small repertoire of tunes. All of the tunes are committed to memory as soon as possible, where it is easier to work on fine tuning the rhythm and variations. I also ty to find versions of the tunes on the internet to help with rhythm and variation.

Good luck and have fun.

Poppi