Another flute strangulation reported, culprit detained ....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another flute strangulation reported, culprit detained ....

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi all

I've been doing more work on the flute strangulation issue - it's now up on the web. You'll find:
- more examples of old flutes with various levels of compression and strangulation, including one that is corked, and another strangled flute with period thread still on
- better organised explanations of the old flutes, with definitions advanced for the various stages of damage
- stress tests on several wrapping threads, including the period strangling thread and the stuff sold for bagpipe tenon wrapping
- a section on how collapse manifests, including an image
- an example of serial strangulation in progress
- a practical caution on switching to cork
- a few words to the deniers
- and quite a bit more

I'm afraid it's probably a case of reading the whole thing again from the top.

All at:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/effects_of_ ... apping.htm

Terry
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Another flute strangulation reported, culprit detained ....

Post by Steve Bliven »

This is like one of those Whack-a-Mole games at the county fair...
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Maintains quite a presence for someone who isn't here, doesn't he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si2kis6lWRg
My brain hurts

Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I'm afraid it's probably a case of reading the whole thing again...
Passed the first time around. Pass this time, too. Terry, isn't there a better way to keep your name before the flute playing public? You are becoming an easy target. Like "The Runaway Bride."

As Jimmy said:
Did you ever get the feeling that you wanted to go,
But still had the feeling that you wanted to stay,
You knew it was right, wasn't wrong.
Still you knew you wouldn't be very long.
Go or stay, stay or go,
Start to go again and change your mind again.
It's hard to have the feeling that you wanted to go,
But still have the feeling that you wanted to stay.
Do, re, mi, fa, so, la, si, do.
I'll go.
I'll stay.

Thanks to Jimmy Durante - http://anilozbek.blogspot.com/2010/06/j ... eling.html
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

ding ding sound an alarm. another sighting - terry 'in extremis' mcgee strikes again!
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

So, so ridiculous. My God. Just absurd.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hughes Mearns wrote:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away
My brain hurts

jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

I'm heading off to Oz tomorrow. Are they all this barmy? Maybe I should reconsider?
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Terry,

Thanks for the information regarding thread and its potential for causing damage. I use thread and will keep an eye on it.

That said, I think you've gotten your point across to one and all on this board on this topic. Your repeated postings on this subject seem obsessive and maniacal.

I look forward to any NEW information regarding flutes and your research not related to this topic.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

What's wrong with you guys??? :o

Thanks Terry for the added info and revised sections! All good food for thought apart from the theoretical section with the "scary numbers".
Good to see a pic of a compressed tenon (I am very tempted to include an image link here, for all those who don't like reading).

I am interested in "Willis' Secret": how thick is the tenon wall of the Willis flute? And how shallow can a thread trough be and still be sufficient?
Terry wrote:Unfortunately, the solution available to Willis is no longer available to us. In Willis' time, flutes were generally much thicker, and bores were thinner. Since then, it's been realised that a thinner head plays more adroitly, and bigger bores give more power. Nice while it lasted though!
I don't understand what the tenon wall thickness has to do with a thinner head. Can a flute not be thick enough at the top tenon and still be thin enough at the embouchure end?

I am asking this here, because I am unwilling to believe in Terry's final conclusion:
Terry wrote:Clearly, when we compare the many locked threads to those of no moment that run on uninterrupted for pages, serious flute issues are "not somethin' we talk about 'round here". Perhaps that too is a useful discovery arising from this experiment.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hans wrote:What's wrong with you guys??? :o
I think it goes something like this and I say this with a background in
* despairing Terry's announced renunciation of and departure from these forums earlier this year
* (in the past) of asking moderators to clean bad content out of a topic rather than just locking it
* my participation in a generously allowed meta discussion in which I critiqued a moderator's way of doing something to Terry's topic (NOT what he did but how he did it)
* believing that generally Terry, as an esteemed flute maker and ITM lover, raises the bar in these forums.

What is happening here is, by his own admittance in another recent topic, that the OP is just using this place to express some view or fact but NOT ENGAGING with the membership's discussion of same. I don't know abbout the others but I, as a member here and a supporter of Terry's contributions generally, take that as an INSULT. Its not an intellectual thing - I feel it in the guts. However, that notwithstanding, I do feel it is unchivalrous to counter insult him, in his absence, as some here appear to be doing. (But then again that may be a loving ploy to get him to come back.)

If Terry feels that the issues he is raising and then NOT engaging in here are things that are not encouraged here then he is perfectly capable of raising other topics that interest him and us that will construed within the bounds of allowable discussion.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hans wrote:I am asking this here, because I am unwilling to believe in Terry's final conclusion:
Terry wrote:Clearly, when we compare the many locked threads to those of no moment that run on uninterrupted for pages, serious flute issues are "not somethin' we talk about 'round here". Perhaps that too is a useful discovery arising from this experiment.
Since you bring it up ... Yes, that's quite extraordinary, isn't it.

It seems to say: Terry has discovered that the only topics of value are those that Terry himself participates in. The rest of you are unserious blatherers, and your contributions are of no moment.

In a now-deleted post, Terry also refers to the rule-abiding membership of the Chiffboard as "running dogs".

Why a reputable maker would choose to make space on his website to insult the entire membership of this board and, by extension, his customer base, is a mystery. But it's his website, and his choice.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Just to add a few points for the record ...

Whether you agree with the current Chiffboard rules or not, every attempt to restart this locked topic is a violation of those rules and subject to locking or deletion. We can only assume that Terry knows this. The mods have exercised some restraint, because we realize that the topic remains of interest to some Chiffboard readers. But our patience with this silly cat-and-mouse game grows thin.

We've offered an olive branch, in the form of our invitation to Terry to discuss and resolve any and all issues surrounding this topic and board policies privately with the Chiffboard staff. That invitation still stands. So far, the response has been stony silence. The ball is entirely in his court.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

The board owner concurs with moderator actions.