"Irish travellers" in the news

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re:

Post by Harry »

Resource for learning about Irish Travellers, with a Human Rights perspective:

http://paveepoint.ie/

Regards,

H.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Re:

Post by sjcavy »

We had a "family" of people that aligned themselves with Irish Travelers or Tinkers or whatever in Milwaukee. They happened to steal a TON of money from the Shamrock Club of Milwaukee of which I am very involved and my mother is on the board of trustees. They are now being prosecuted along with another person who shall not be named. The main quote is either "Who, me???" or "We helped out with everything, we wouldn't steal money..." But then we found all the evidence. They're in court now. One of them came from a country north of us, and has now run out on the family of "tinkers", along with the rest of their money, back to his legal family across town and is trying not to get deported.

Ps, these "tinkers" told everyone they came from the south, but they're covered in "celtic" tattoos.

Gah, makes me sick. People will side with any minority outcast group nowadays to get the oh poor them sentiment.

Prosecute the child abuser for child abuse, prosecute the thieves for theft, and be done with it. No one is different in the eyes of the law. Or they shouldn't be at least.

Sean
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re:

Post by s1m0n »

Clearly, if one of them ripped you off, they must belong to an entire race of thieves.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
WJC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Re:

Post by WJC »

s1m0n wrote:Clearly, if one of them ripped you off, they must belong to an entire race of thieves.
Canadians.

- RIMSHOT - :tomato:
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re:

Post by Steampacket »

The Irish Travellers I have met have been good, decent people who have gone out of their way to be helpful to me. It's wrong to put down a whole ethnic group, or a country's population because of the actions of a few. Are all white male Americans gun crazy, right wing Christians, intelligent design believers, afraid of paying income tax, and potential serial killers? I don't think so. Most people are pretty decent just trying to make their way in this world
Harry

Re:

Post by Harry »

What sjcavy says is pretty typical of the general feeling & assumption in Ireland towards Travellers.

A term increasingly being used in the Irish situation by people who have actually studied and thought about the causes of such things is:

'Institutional Racism': “the collective failure of an organization [Government etc] to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their color, culture, or ethnic origin”.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

Regards,

Harry.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
sjcavy
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Re:

Post by sjcavy »

If you look at my post gentleman I was not bashing the Travelers at all, I was bashing the people who said they were travelers. That's why there's quotation marks. They don't belong using that as an excuse, and neither does the child abuser. I wasn't pushing the whole group of Travelers into the thieves category, I was just saying we've had something like that happen in Milwaukee. People trying to hop on the minority bandwagon.

Hey Stampacket (not trying to start anything), I am a white male American who is gun crazy. I love my firearms. :D
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

sjcavy wrote:...I am a white male American who is gun crazy. I love my firearms. :D
Damn right. Any God-fearin' Scots-Irish American feels downright naked without a musical instrument in one hand and a rifle in the other. What gives?
Steampacket

Re:

Post by Steampacket »

"Damn right. Any God-fearin' Scots-Irish American feels downright naked without a musical instrument in one hand and a rifle in the other. What gives?" Ceann Cromtha.
:really: - weird
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:
sjcavy wrote:...I am a white male American who is gun crazy. I love my firearms. :D
Damn right. Any God-fearin' Scots-Irish American feels downright naked without a musical instrument in one hand and a rifle in the other. What gives?
Them's from the other side of the tracks. My people think a drink is far more worthwhile than a gun, and no contest. Less cumbersome at a session, too.

That's straight from the horse's mouth, and to the horse's whatevers. Y'all put that in yer pipe and see how it sucks. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dunnp

Re:

Post by dunnp »

I really thought this thread was new and it was going to be about My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding,
Everyone in Glasgow is obsessed with the show. It's great fun though hardly an anthropological look at
travellers more sensational channel four "documentary" and no traditional music yet.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Steampacket wrote:"Damn right. Any God-fearin' Scots-Irish American feels downright naked without a musical instrument in one hand and a rifle in the other. What gives?" Ceann Cromtha.
Celebrate Diveristy! Coexist! :D
Steampacket

Re:

Post by Steampacket »

"Celebrate Diveristy! Coexist! " Ceann Cromtha.

"Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet ?
We sit here stranded, though we're all doin our best to deny it
And Louise holds a handful of rain, tempting you to defy it."
Bobby D. :thumbsup:
maki

Post by maki »

Steampacket wrote:"Damn right. Any God-fearin' Scots-Irish American feels downright naked without a musical instrument in one hand and a rifle in the other. What gives?" Ceann Cromtha.
The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible. Machiavelli
P.S. One of my favorite rifles is a 1899 6.5mm Swedish Mauser, it has a nice reed tone and it's not too breathy. :D
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

maki wrote:
The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible. Machiavelli
P.S. One of my favorite rifles is a 1899 6.5mm Swedish Mauser, it has a nice reed tone and it's not too breathy. :D
Rifles? Shotguns please!
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa