Whistle from Ireland??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistle Free or Die
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Whistle from Ireland??

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Question: when we know someone is going to Ireland, do we have them buy us a real nice whistle and bring it back?
A co-worker is traveling overseas soon and I was thinking of having her pick me up a whistle. Are the prices abroad better than what is on-line?
And then, of course, does anyone have any suggestions for a high D whistle? And where to get one in Ireland?
Thanks always, Susan
Susan
talasiga

Re: Whistle from Ireland??

Post by talasiga »

Whistle Free or Die wrote:Question: when we know someone is going to Ireland, do we have them buy us a real nice whistle and bring it back?

No.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Whistle Free or Die wrote:Are the prices abroad better than what is on-line?
No.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Where in Ireland?

My impression ... Mostly what you find in high whistles are what people actually play: Generations, Feadógs, Waltons, maybe Clares. The best variety for the last three is in tourist shops, right near the painted bodhráns. :o Music shops seem to carry American-made Susatos as their "higher end" whistles. Coals to Newcastle. Some may carry Dixons. Waltons (Dublin) carries Waltons. McNeill's (Dublin) may have a selection. If the shop lets you pick through, say, a box of Gens, your friend should know what she's doing. Prices about the same as the States, Susatos higher.

Other fancier high whistles you sometimes see there are probably mostly ordered direct, same as here.

Low whistles ... Powell's (Galway) had Chieftains and a few others. Custy's (Ennis) and McNeill's and McCullough Pigott (Dublin) about the same, IIRC. Others can say better.

I did once have a kind friend bring me back a handful of Feadógs and Waltons, just because it was convenient and saved a bit of postage. But nothing that can't be found online. Especially if you're not trying them out yourself anyway.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

What about a 2-piece Clare? They seem useful and don't seem easy to come by here in the states.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tucson Whistler wrote:What about a 2-piece Clare? They seem useful and don't seem easy to come by here in the states.
A few years ago, a friend of mine volunteered to go hunting for a Clare in, of all places, Clare. Or at least tourist shops (not music shops) where she happened to be that visit - Kilrush, Ennis, Bunratty. And no joy, 2-piece or one. I ended up getting mine from a nice Chiffer here on the board.

No use for the head really, which I don't much like. But the 2-piece tube is great with a nice Gen head on it.

Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Tucson Whistler wrote:
What about a 2-piece Clare? They seem useful and don't seem easy to come by here in the states.

Here's a place to get the 2-piece Clares - I have a green head - these seem to be mostly red:
http://www.lollysmith.com/fetinwhinasc.html

I've never shopped at this site, so I can't endorse it, but they have a nice collection of standard whistles under $15USD
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

I bought my Clare two-piece from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tin-Whistle-Clare ... 2c52b820b7

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the seller is the manufacturer (David Le Bas). As a whistle, I don't have a preference between the Clare, my Generation in brass or my Walton's "Little Black Whistle" in aluminium, but you'll guess which one gets slipped into the jacket pocket :wink:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

MTGuru wrote:My impression ... Mostly what you find in high whistles are what people actually play: Generations, Feadógs, Waltons, maybe Clares. The best variety for the last three is in tourist shops, right near the painted bodhráns. :o Music shops seem to carry American-made Susatos as their "higher end" whistles.
That's pretty much what I remember from my trip there in '95. I was hoping to come home with a whistle and a bodhran. Every whistle I saw was of the inexpensive variety that I could easily buy at home so no luck there. I did manage to find a bodhran shop on a little side street. They had hundreds of them in there and I wound up buying a nice 18" drum that I still have ...and no, nothing is painted on the skin.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Tucson Whistler wrote:What about a 2-piece Clare? They seem useful and don't seem easy to come by here in the states.
I've tried only a few of them and didn't find the head design to produce a very desirable sound. Very weak and lacking in crispness and responsiveness. Required more air to play than, say, a feadog or generation with less focus and tone than either of those two. Again, my experience with this model is limited so perhaps there are better ones out there?

Mabye you could find some hobby tubing in a craft store that is a size bigger than a generation or feadog tube and cut one in half to make your own two piece whistle.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Make sure your friend doesn't buy any whistle with "Guinness" on the packaging.

And as for two piece Clares, replace the head with a Hoover whitecap and you'll have a great little whistle.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

avanutria wrote:Make sure your friend doesn't buy any whistle with "Guinness" on the packaging.
How come? The Guinness whistle is just a rebranded Waltons Little Black Whistle with a white head. So yes, it's overpriced compared to the LBW. But inherently not a bad whistle.

hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

avanutria wrote:Make sure your friend doesn't buy any whistle with "Guinness" on the packaging.
...or any Guinness with "whistle" on the packaging....
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

hoopy mike wrote:
...or any Guinness with "whistle" on the packaging....
...or any package with Guinness in the whistle ...

... or ...
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Don't forget Charlie Byrne's, just around the corner from Walton's in Dublin. He stocks a wide selection of whistles, some of which are decidedly high end (or did last time I went in there about 18 months ago, in any case). You do, as me oul' pal, Jimmy Troy warned me once, have to set aside half a day to chat to Charlie.