I hate the spoons

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

I hate the spoons

Post by Akiba »

Came to mind from the "cello" thread. Cello can be OK. Spoons are always, always horrendous to my ears no matter how well played. If on an album, I immediately, as quickly as possible shut it down. If spoons show up at a session, I pray they stop and cringe till they do so.

Just had to get that off my chest. Funny, I don't feel much better, still in fear of the next clattering, teeth chattering, loudly obnoxious encounter with my dreaded ITM nemesis. :boggle: :boggle:

If you play spoons when you don't know the tune on flute or whistle, please stop, stop it now, burn them.
Clinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: I hate the spoons

Post by Clinton »

Akiba wrote: ...If you play [any instrument] when you don't know the tune <snip> please stop, stop it now...
I slightly modified Akiba's statement to more completely reflect our musical hopes and dreams...

Clinton
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You obviously need another listen to this, to get it out of your system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6taWkjuG_E

And don't even start on the forks. Or the barbecue tongs.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Seonachan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Seonachan »

Never underestimate flatware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ppheRODcQ4
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

"May I sit in?"

"Sure, what do you play?"

"Chopsticks."

"Umm...we don't have a piano."

"No, I mean chopsticks."

".....Um..........."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Akiba wrote:Came to mind from the "cello" thread. Cello can be OK. Spoons are always, always horrendous to my ears no matter how well played. If on an album, I immediately, as quickly as possible shut it down. If spoons show up at a session, I pray they stop and cringe till they do so.

Just had to get that off my chest. Funny, I don't feel much better, still in fear of the next clattering, teeth chattering, loudly obnoxious encounter with my dreaded ITM nemesis. :boggle: :boggle:

If you play spoons when you don't know the tune on flute or whistle, please stop, stop it now, burn them.
Hey Jason, I love the spoons! I think I know why however. I come from a background of playing Fife in Fife and Drum Corps. You have to understand in the F&D world its all about the Beat, the snare drum and the bass drum keeping time. That said I like a really firm beat on the bodhran, spoons as well as someone really slamming their foot to the beat. Good God I can't control it!! :lol:
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Maybe not for ITM, but come on Jason-- doesn't this bring a smile to your face?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TS9ugnarQQ

Christy Barry, in fact, love to play spoons at a session. To the discomfort of a few of us.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Denny

Post by Denny »

Seonachan wrote:Never underestimate flatware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ppheRODcQ4
Artis....the man is brilliant.

nuff said
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Like many of the finer things aural appreciation of tasteful spoon technique is an acquired taste.

May the forks be with you

Deisman
I'm on it...
cboody

Post by cboody »

I never liked spoons. And, my hearing aides close up blocking almost all sound whenever spoons clatter nearby. So now I have an excuse to get folks to stop...at least near me! :)
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Aww. come on, the spoons are obviously an international instrument, spanning continents, oceans and cultures. Who could ask for more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIZu211bE8&NR=1
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I'd have to say some of my most pleasant moments were spent in the company of Des Mulkere on flute and Billy Carr on the spoons. Here's a taste...

http://www.facebook.com/v/461927442505

Or as Vincent wrote, last time this came up...
"Ah Jackie, a stor a gra, da poarr auld spo-ans de workin man's instrument, de prima donnas dese dayze with dere 'tune diz, tune dat, all we all in tune' me arse. would take de fun out of it. God be wid de rare auld times when percussive virtuosity was more highly regarded and de bloody flutes and fiddles knew dere place!"
Mark
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

We had this fellow over once who had just acquired a Bodhran, but still couldn't quite keep up with the pace of what was happening (that's OK, I can't either).

Finally he tossed his instrument aside, stood up and kicked out all his frustration on one wild, wild stepdancing frenzy.

He was good; none of us were hit. Not too hard.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

The problem with spoons is that they are often too loud...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Hi all, looking for advice. I've been playing the spoons for a year now, and I feel I'm ready for something better and more professional. My current pair cost me nothing, because I stole them from the room service tray at the Holiday Inn Dubai. My budget is around $1000. I've heard that gold plated unobtanium alloy has a nice, haunting Celtic tone. I want a tunable set to play in sessions. And fully chromatic, so I can play slow Irish ayres and aleatoric jazz. Thanks for your help!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.