Advice from you seasoned pipers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Johnered66
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Advice from you seasoned pipers

Post by Johnered66 »

When I hear trad tunes I get intimidated by the sheer speed of them. I play them on the slow downer to keep up. How do you progress to play at acceptable speed? Is it ok to not play as lively? Tips? Tricks? Thanks, cheers!
Neither weddin' nor wake would be worth a shake
If Denny was first not invited.
For at squeezin' the bag, or emptyin' the keg,
He astonished as well as delighted!
jon1908

Re: Advice from you seasoned pipers

Post by jon1908 »

Don't forget that this music was/is supposed to be for dancing to. If you can, find someone that dances the sets and find out what speed they prefer. That'll give you an idea of what speed you should be aiming at (unless you get the demon set dancer from hell!!).

Playing for dancers can be so different from general session playing. Certainly helps you get the 'swing' of tunes.

Ultimately, play at the speed that you're happy at - and that you make fewest mistakes!

Jon
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No harm playing slower. No excuse for not playing lively.

In my experience playing for sets requires more speed than playing for your own enjoyment.
My brain hurts

Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

jon1908 wrote:Don't forget that this music was/is supposed to be for dancing to. If you can, find someone that dances the sets and find out what speed they prefer. That'll give you an idea of what speed you should be aiming at (unless you get the demon set dancer from hell!!).

Playing for dancers can be so different from general session playing. Certainly helps you get the 'swing' of tunes.

Ultimately, play at the speed that you're happy at - and that you make fewest mistakes!

Jon
This is good advice. Fewest mistakes is roughly half speed. 75% on a good day. Thanks.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

jon1908 wrote:Don't forget that this music was/is supposed to be for dancing to...
Yes, but the dances have changed over time. Try playing a hornpipe while step dancers dance a hornpipe. You'll find you have to play VERY slowly. The dance has become more intricate and so it has to be performed more slowly. However the tunes continue to be played (relatively) quickly.

I've given up trying to play faster. I prefer finding my own pace and enjoying the tune. I find it helps that I don't play in sessions.
PJ
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

(For me) playing too fast= running with scissors.
t
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Hi Johnered,

Good questions, and speed is one of those "issues" with the pipes.

The thing is that they ARE an instrument that one can play fast on. I actually like the sound of a fast tune played well on the pipes. The key there is "played well". It is always tempting to play something fast verses playing something really well...a temptation that many of us fall victim to from time to time.

Fortunately there are those (as evidenced by other comments so far) who think that pipes should be played slower - more in keeping with the solo playing tradition of the pipes. This allows for really working toward making the pipes sound like...well pipes, taking full advantage of tonal colouring and ornamentation. I actually like the sound of a slow tune played well on the pipes. Again the key there is "played well".

So if you are intimidated by speed, then no need to worry. You are not alone. Just aim to do the best piping you can at your point in the journey, and let the speed fall to where it will.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

Just keep the rhythm steady. I, too, tend to enjoy the tunes more when played "southern style" or laid back and rock steady for dance tunes. And then there are the airs! :thumbsup:
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

Thanks folks. You are all so great to chat with and get tips from. I am grateful. I'll be spending more time here then on the pipes. Anyway good sound advise. It is a journey.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Also keep in mind that speed is in the ear of the beholder.

It's like learning to understand a foreign language. At first, it seems like everyone is speaking so fast! Because you're just hearing bits and pieces, sounds and words, not coherent phrases, and trying to sort it all out. It's not really the speed of production that's the problem. It's the speed of your brain. :-)

Same with music. Experienced musicians don't play and listen in terms of individual notes, but entire patterns and phrases. Once you learn to play and hear the music in those terms, the speed issue largely seems to go away (up to a point).

"That music is so fast!" is something I hear a lot from many non-musicians unfamiliar with the dance music, even if you're playing something fairly laid-back. Part of it is the "density" of notes compared to, say, typical pop vocal melodies people are familiar with. And ornamentation is sometimes perceived wrongly as adding to the speed, because complexity and speed are easily confused.

So keep at it ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
The Blacksmith

Post by The Blacksmith »

I use a metronome and speed up the tempo as I improve.

My instructor plays the piano along with me and speeds up a little at a time
to bring up my tempo slowly. (this works)

Is there not a quote about " playing slow is playing accurately and playing accurately is playing well"
(or something like that)

Tim
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

Makes good sense.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

A fine, old piano instructor, discussing The School for Velocity once said:"If you wish to play faster, practice slower. . ."

It builds proper muscle memory. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Johnered66

Post by Johnered66 »

How about getting a B, C, D triplet off nicely how do you practice it? Slow is easy but it doesn't sound much like a triplet.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Are there any slow sessions near you that you could attend? Going to these on a regular basis can really help build speed, confidence, and repertoire.