Are Reels More Difficult?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mockingbird
antispam: No

Are Reels More Difficult?

Post by Mockingbird »

Or is it just my imagination? I've got several jigs, a slip jig, a polka, a barn dance, even a slide in my limited repertoire.

Tried Rolling in the Ryegrass and Wind That Shakes the Barley, but didn't enjoy playing them much--couldn't seem get the hang of them, and they are forgotten now.

Then I tried Cooley's, and despite weeks and weeks of practice I can't get it up to speed--the fingering just seems so awkward, esp. in that Part B. When attempting to play along "session style" with YouTube videos, I'm left in the dust.

So, moving on to The Flax in Bloom, in which the fingering seems less arduous... I've got the notes okay, but HOW on earth does one play a reel at speed?

Any tips for getting tunes up to "session speed"? (Is there such a thing?) Must reels always be played breakneck? Is it okay to slow 'em down a bit?

(Finding spots to breathe also seems more difficult with reels. Where do you typically sneak breaths?)
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Are Reels More Difficult?

Post by benhall.1 »

IMO, reels are more difficult. I don't really know why. Part of it seems to be the rhythm, which, for some reason, seems harder to pick up than jig rhythm.

I don't think there's a short cut to getting reels "up to session speed". My 'big tip' for getting them up to speed to to always practise them slowly. In time, they will get better, and faster, without you knowing. But still, in practice, practise them slowly.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Reels do seem like they're more work to get right than jigs. It seems even worse on stringed instruments than whistles/flutes. It'll get better, though. Reels come as naturally as jigs now for me, at least on whistle. Mandolin is another matter!
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

My attempts at reels are poor at the moment, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but......

Find a reel that you like. Initially I tried the reels in my learner books, and had difficulties. When I listened to them on the web I realised that I did not care enough for them to put the time in.

Like an easy reel. I liked the Banshee - but I have difficulty making it sound like a reel (but that could just be me). So I picked 'The Merry Blacksmith', and suddenly my reel is more real (groan). Not perfect, or fast enough yet, but progressing well enough (though I may be deluded).

Use a metronome. Well it works for me, though I am still at the stage where I consider it a success if I can get round the reel twice without loosing the plot. I allow myself minor goofs, if I can jump back in at the right time and continue. And oddly enough, the metronome makes that easier - I am 'hearing' the tune in my head now and know where I 'should be'. Hearing the tune in my head seems to help with with breathing as well as with recovering from mistakes. I am not sure if I can explain that though, but being able to recover seems to be better practice than continually restarting.

Each practice I start slow to remind my fingers and then build up the speed step by step. There seems to be a speed which is fast enough to enjoy the 'energy' of the tune, but not too fast for my fingers to cope with. I find that comfortable tempo and practice there for a while. Then I allow myself some fun at the end upping the tempo a bit. Over the days the comfortable tempo seems to creep up.

I am not sure what a reasonable tempo for reels is - 120 -130bpm was comfortable this morning. That is probably too slow for the local session on their favourites - I will find out this week :D .

Just a beginers tuppence.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

When I've taught Irish whistle, flute, or pipes, it seems that with most people jigs are the easiest things to learn, reels a bit more difficult, but sean nos airs the most difficult.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

DrPhill wrote:I am not sure what a reasonable tempo for reels is - 120 -130bpm was comfortable this morning. That is probably too slow for the local session on their favourites - I will find out this week .
You're talking about the speed of crotchets, I guess, Phill. Most people, after a while, come to think of reels in terms of having two main beats per bar, and your speed would be, in that case, 60 - 65 bpm for reels at the moment. To put it in context, what for me is a comfortable session speed for reels (on fiddle or whistle, but not necessarily flute just yet) would be around 108 bpm.

But, for the OP, I would strongly suggest not worrying about speeding up - ever. You will speed up eventually without worrying about it. In the meantime, plenty of slow practice will build a solid playing style and will pay dividends in the long run.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

benhall.1 wrote:............ and your speed would be, in that case, 60 - 65 bpm for reels at the moment. To put it in context, what for me is a comfortable session speed for reels (on fiddle or whistle, but not necessarily flute just yet) would be around 108 bpm.
I thought I was slow. :D
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

And remember speed is not the most important thing. Listen to the difference between Joannie Madden and Mary Bergin playing a reel. Personally, I like Joannie Madden's speed much better, though some would consider it too slow. In my own head I seem to fall into this certain speed, which varys slightly from tune to tune. I love it. When I push them faster, it's fun, but I never stay at the more rapid speed, I always fall back to the tempo in my head for that tune.
As for slow airs...I despair of ever making mine sound truly Irish. Luckily for me, most of my hearers have never heard the real thing.

(Just a few of my own, inexpert, bumbling thoughts)
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Mockingbird,
I'm not clear how long you've played the whistle, but to favor jigs over reels is OK. Think of it as a plateau.

Reels, after all, contain 25% more notes per measure (6 eighth notes per measure in a jig & 8 eighth notes per measure in a reel). If you put that into a scenario where you're playing at 110BPM, you're really ratcheting up how much work your fingers have to do to get to the end of a phrase.

I agree with the posts upstairs - when practicing use a metronome to help keep your notes even. The metronome should sound 2 beats per measure.
For a jig that would be on the 1 and 4. 123 456
For a reel on the 1 and 5. 1234 5678

Set the metronome to 60BPM and try it. Once you've become completely familiar with the tune and how your fingers are working, bump up the speed gradually. After a few days you'll be comfortably playing, and by that time you'll have it memorized - which is truly the key, and then you can begin adding your own personality to the performance of the tune.

Sometimes I practice tunes very fast, 120 to 130, to remind myself how much I'm missing by not slowing down. And it always works.

And, yes, I'd leave the sean nos airs for later, too.
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

I've never heard of "sean nos" airs, before. Can someone tell me what "sean nos" means?

thanks,
Lyn
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Wiki is your friend

Sean Nos Song
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

well you go round in circles I suppose, I'm now thinking jigs are harder :-?
Mark
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

One trick I sometimes use to learn a tough reel comes from a recorder playing book.
Instead of playing the reel as a series of even eighth notes, try playing it in hornpipe rhythm-- dotted eighths alternating with sixteenths. For some reason, this seems much easier.. I speculate that the little extra time spent on the dotted eighth lets you anticipate that next note a bit. Once you can play the tune fairly confidently like this, you can start to smooth out and even out the notes. I've heard some first rate players who seem to use a bit of this dotted rhythm as a matter of course. Try it!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

DrPhill wrote: Find a reel that you like.
For me that's the key, learning the tune I want to rather than one that I "should" play (or be able to play). My big problem is that there aren't that many reels I like. I think that's one reason I'm less attracted to ITM than I once was.

I DO like slow reels. Tunes like The Sunset; Helicon's version of Woman of the House; Solas's version of O'Dowd's #9, etc. But for the most part I'm a triple-time guy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

Hotblack wrote:Wiki is your friend

Sean Nos Song

Thanks, Hotblack!