I seek wisdom on D#

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fifthtry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I seek wisdom on D#

Post by Fifthtry »

Trying to learn some English Country Dance tunes and am having a devil of a time trying to deal with D# on my keyless flute (and whistle), both in D (the tune is in Em). The particular tune I'm learning is the Female Saylor, in Em, and a phrase is (in abc, eight notes):

|g2 f e2 ^d|e3 B3|

I cannot half-hole the d and get anything good, so the question is -- what's the workaround? Change the D# to an E? I guess my general question is, when faced with a half-holed pitch on a simple instrument, are there "rules" to work around it?

Thank you for any widsom.

John
brewerpaul

Re: I seek wisdom on D#

Post by brewerpaul »

I just tried it and used an F# instead of the D#.
Keep practicing that half holing though. With practice you CAN do it and the same skill will let you play Cnat,Fnat,Bb, G# etc. Well worth learning.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

^ What Paul says^

Keep practicing. I've just learnt Crested Hens which also features a D#. It was just a case of keep practicing until it came right. All you need is a slight cover of the hole and reduced breath or else it gets squeaky...well it does for me anyway. :)
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Like Hotblack, I know the D# from Crested Hens. Also from Roly Gentle.

I've found that half-holing is less a matter of covering half the hole, than of sort of covering-ish the hole.
On my own home-made whistles, to sound a D# my finger is perched at the side of the hole, above it, but not touching the hole itself. Hovering closely over the hole, in other words. It's easier to do this than to partially cover the hole, especially on a high whistle with small holes close together, and using piper's grip.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I am not expert enough to give advice, but I agree - practice. For me the tune was 'Cape Clear' and my low whistle has small holes, so I did almost despair at times.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Another tune where you might encounter a D# is the Humours of Ballyconnell (hornpipe); second measure of the B section as a leading tone for E (E-D#-E). D natural works okay here too but if you can nail the D# it adds a little extra flavor to the phrase.
flynnieous
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by flynnieous »

If you want to be lazy, get a G whistle. D# would still be an accidental, but much easier to half-hole/crossfinger
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Masters in this hall, Hear ye news today ...
Fifthtry wrote:what's the workaround?
None. Just do it. :-)

Should be a piece of cake on any whistle. Especially in the E-D#-E figure. For this, I halfhole with the fingertip, or hit the edge of the hole with my knuckle, the finger angled ~30 degrees over the hole. I'll post a clip later if I can.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Accidentals are an odd issue. You'll hear loads of pipers, fluters, and whistlers playing a particular tune using only "normal" notes, then hear the same tune played by boxplayers, banjo players, or fiddlers with accidentals all over the place.

It's not set in stone. There's always a workaround. Even Matt Molloy, playing a fully keyed flute, will often have a version lacking accidentals in places most boxplayers or even fiddlers would put them in.

Paddy Carty, now he would put all the accidentals in!

Anyhow I'm not familiar with that tune but I'm sure there are a dozen acceptable ways to play it that don't have the D# in them.

About Humours of Ballyconnell, I play it on the pipes which have a hole for D# and I put it in, plus a G#! Many pipers throw in D#s in many of their tunes, in places even a boxplayer might not put them.

Yes it's just a matter of practice. I find D# easy to play on whistle but more problematic on wood flutes, where that hole is often very small.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

An example of a tasty little place I've heard a piper throw in a D#, here's the beginning of the last part of Langstern Pony as it often is heard:

AAA A2d | C#AC# eC#A | AEA ABCnat | BGB dCB |

but with the D# thrown in:

AAA A2d | C#AC# eC#A | AD#E ABCnat | BGB dCB |
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:Anyhow I'm not familiar with that tune but I'm sure there are a dozen acceptable ways to play it that don't have the D# in them.
The problem in that tune is that the D# is the leading tone (major 7th) in the key of Em, and it occurs throughout. So it really is a critical note defining the harmonic minor scale of the tune, and substitution changes the character of the melody significantly.

pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

MTGuru wrote:The problem in that tune is that the D# is the leading tone (major 7th) in the key of Em, and it occurs throughout. So it really is a critical note defining the harmonic minor scale of the tune, and substitution changes the character of the melody significantly.
Oh I see.

There seem to be loads of French Cabrette tunes like that, a minor 3rd but a Major 7th.

They play them on the Cabrette using the chanter's 4th as the tonic. I might be temped to do the same, playing the Em tune on a B whistle on which a nice crossfingered G natural is possible. Or just get good at playing D#s on a D whistle!
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:Oh I see.
Yeah ... Plus the fact it's such a well-known melody to anyone who knows the Christmas carol "Masters In This Hall", that alteration might be very noticeable.

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Is it possible to modify your breath so as to bend down a note while in full flow?

Any harmonica player can do it, but on a whistle it's a much more subtle thing, and only seems possible on the top three holes - on a D whistle that would be any of the accidentals around C B A and G.

I believe it happens. Am I imagining it?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

As with any new whistle skill, practice practice practice.

It took me a while, but I got the D# half-holing down eventually. Now that I've got a feel for it, I find that I usually can adjust for different whistles pretty quickly too, since not every whistle will require the same amount of shading over the hole. Usually the first time through a tune (usually Crested Hens) will let me know how much my initial half-holing is off, and the second time through I usually have it.

Just takes practice.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║