Leaving

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dlambert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Leaving

Post by dlambert »

You guys are a trip. These locked threads don't even hold a candle to the old days with Andrew Kirby and company. You should put way more spirit into it.

Dale and MT Guru: no reason I can see to lock it down. As long as there's no 4-letter words flying let the boys have their fun. Possibly you're expressing your solidarity with the Egyptian leadership.

Rob: "Step off noob"??? Poor show. Poor show.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
sjcavy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes and I have become obsessed with them. But now the antispam software is just irritating the hell out of me so I am typing random crap to get past the minimum 100 character limit.

Post by sjcavy »

Before I run to class, I just wanted to say that Step off Noob had me laughing so loud that the Librarian shushed me. I haven't been on this thread in a while....CUZ I'VE BEEN PLAYING MY FLUTE! What a shocker. I for one will continue to be a goof when things get tense because I have in the past gotten riled up, and for that I apologize to the mods. But it was interesting to read about the case of the flute strangler.

I ain't leaving, and I must say....I'm pretty darn important AND fantastic. Maybe my allure will lure the elusive Terry McGee back to the board.
Just a newbie making his way through the world.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

talasiga wrote: The thing is made more difficult when moderators need to continually assess wheteher the content of their post is a moderator action or a member contribution to the discussion.
I had already suggested some time ago that such persons should have two separate ID - one as a moderator and another as member. BUt nothing is perfect, not even my suggestion probably.
I like it. Maybe something like Corky and Fred?

Cheers,

Kirk
Denny

Post by Denny »

Corky & Stringer

Tenon & Socket

Laurel & Hardy

no, wait....scratch the last one
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

dlambert wrote: Rob: "Step off noob"??? Poor show. Poor show.

I know, I know. Not my best work.

Trust me, I regret it already, especially having been caught using internet-speak in public. Oof.

Rob
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Honestly, this feels like high school drama all over again. :lol: We are all adults here, it isn't that big of a deal if a thread gets locked. Have our lives really changed in some horrible way because of it? Don't let it ruin your day.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Denny

Post by Denny »

The Whistle Collector wrote:We are all adults here
ya wanna step outside and say that buddy?
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

OK, so Jimmy craic'ed quip, and got called. Let's not lose two experts.

My leaning is toward thicker skins on the stick-puffers and steadier fingers on ye olde panic button, lest we all end up walking like Egyptians.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

it is still a long way to spring :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

crookedtune wrote:My leaning is toward thicker skins on the stick-puffers and steadier fingers on ye olde panic button, lest we all end up walking like Egyptians.
Believe it or not, the moderators want that. If we were perfect, I suppose we wouldn't be here (if you don't mind the tired cynical wisecrack chestnut). That said, I remain unconvinced that the proceedings that inspired this meta-thread were ill-handled, particularly as MTGuru's illuminations on his purposes were perfectly reasonable to my mind. And strictly speaking, he didn't have to explain himself. But who likes draconian? I mean, seriously. But obviously, this is a point of disagreement. Further on the other hand, others have (ungraciously, I think) called that merely the moderator having the last word.

Poor us. [← irony]

BTW, do note that we see this as worth discussing enough to not put a lock on (and, admittedly!) so far. So, no. No hieroglyphic fonts to download yet.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've said this once publicly and at least once (I can't remember - probably more) privately:

Since there are strong enough expressed opinions criticising the Mods in this case, I'd like to say - again - that I think they were spot on in this instance. If you other guys want a place that's less civilised, and, frankly, plain agressive, then hop on over to the session.org. Plenty of flames there for you, with nary a Mod to bother you.

Me, I'll enjoy myself around here where, with one or two exceptions, people are kind and thoughtful ... 'cos there's someone around to slap them if they're not.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Denny wrote:it is still a long way to spring :D
Yes, and I spent nearly two hours chipping an inch of ice from my car, and already it's iced over again with strong winds, snow, and a possible tornado just beginning. I say, Come Sweet Spring.
What moderators?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:others have (ungraciously, I think) called that merely the moderator having the last word.

Poor us. [← irony]
not that I've a dog in the fight, but I don't see that merely part.

If the last word is to be of any value it must be carefully worded to allow the other room to move.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Well if it is open to discussion, forums need censorship. Just a stream of thought, but...
There are objective reasons such as
Legal: Defamation, illegal lichen, links to sites that promote illegal activities, etc.
Practical: Spam-bot removal, Vandles, etc.

And then there is the harder to police subjective reasons

Abusive: badgering people, unfair/uninformed criticism,

Continuity: This is taken care of here by having multiple music forms and a pub fore everything other than whistles, but other forums would kick your thread out the window for being OT, or delete posts that are OT.

Disruptive: A step down from vandalism (which provide no content) But a step up from the occasional OT comment.

Really, it's not like this place is run by Robert's rules of order.

Slashdot has a random system of choosing moderators and then random mod-moderators. It is really kind of democratic (not really a good thing) but it makes the moderation anonymous and yet keeps it in check. Unfortunately they can do that thanks to their size and readership, but C&F cannot.
Nanohedron wrote:Further on the other hand, others have (ungraciously, I think) called that merely the moderator having the last word.

Poor us. [← irony]
Personally, I consider farewell threads as trying to get in the last word. Just leave if your going to.
Nanohedron wrote:But who likes draconian?
Depends if I'm in charge.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."