Just saying hello

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistle Free or Die
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Just saying hello

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Hi all,
Being new to the whistle and having read many posts on your forum, I have ordered a tweaked brass Generation D and a tweaked Mellow Dog from Jerry Freeman off his Ebay site. Figured that I couldnt go wrong.
I am wondering if there are any music stores within the great state of New Hampshire
( live free or die! ) or surrounding states, to browse and try out other whistles to put on my eventual wish list?
Thanks
Susan
Feadoggie

Re: Just saying hello

Post by Feadoggie »

Hello, Whistle Free or Die, and welcome to C&F.
Whistle Free or Die wrote:I am wondering if there are any music stores within the great state of New Hampshire ( live free or die! ) or surrounding states, to browse and try out other whistles to put on my eventual wish list?
I don't have a specific suggestion for you. It's been 35+ years since I lived in New England. Come to think of it, the last time I tried to traverse NH to get to Maine, the road was closed. :) Since you have not indicated where in NH you are located you might want to peruse the list of music shops provided on the New Hampshire Acoustic Music Association's web site and then let your fingers do the walking. Whistles may be few and far between in retail music shops.

If that doesn't turn up anything, you might want to get a hold of the folks at Ossian in Loudon, NH. They are a good source for traditional music. They may have a line on providers of instruments for Irish music in the area.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Whistle Free or Die

Thank you Feadoggie for the welcome. I live in the Lake Sunapee area and transverse the state quite abit. Did the tornado of summer/ 2007 impead your travels through out our state?
Thanks for the info, will check it out.
Susan
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome. Montani Semper Liberi (Mountaineers are Always Free!)

What do you plan on doing with those whistles?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Whistle Free or Die

Learn to play them but of course. Buy it and play it. I like the Nike motto.....Just Do It !
I was looking for an instrument to learn and play with the following criteria.
One that would prohibit me from singing along (trust me...you don't want to be subject to that).
One that was portable ( throw it in the duffel bag and off I go ).
One that I could play while sailing. ( my violin was just not cutting it )
Plus.... the whistle seems just so darn cool.
What more could I ask for?
Susan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I have a certain satisfaction from an instrument that prevents me from singing along too. I should just not mention this next aspect and let you figure this out for yourself but I'm not that nice a person. Wind instruments may very well improve your singing voice to a notable degree. People now want me to sing. A cruel, cruel trick was played on me.
白飞梦
RamblDoc

Post by RamblDoc »

Welcome WFOD:
1. If you're ever in Dover, NH, visit EarCraft music store on Central Avenue. I have purchased some Clark whistles there years ago. Daddy's Junky Music Store in Portsmouth has some Gen-types too. A Portland store also has Generations, if you don't mind paying sales tax, turnpike tolls, etc.
The trouble is, many of these places will not let you put them in your mouth, to abide by state laws governing hygiene. Before you Buy-and-Try, check the return policies.
Checking out Ossian is a good suggestion, too. Phoning first is also a wise tip.
2. Attend a local Irish Traditional session and get to know the flute/ whistle people. The Barley House in Concord has a Tuesday night session, I believe.
3. Come and visit me at RiRa's Irish Pub & Restaurant in Market Square, Portsmouth on Sunday afternoon 5 - 8 pm session. I'll let you paw through my whistle case and try whatever you want. Vintage stock Gens, a Susato, Burkes, Water Weasels, an E-flat Copeland, a Sweetone, an O'Riordan. I've got some others, too, I could bring for you to try.
4. So, you've got a couple of Jerry Freeman tweakeds coming. Good. You've made very good choices without any help from me. I think you're in great shape. This is exciting. Best of luck, and I hope to see you sometime. I'm in Wolfeboro often.
RamblDoc
Whistle Free or Die

I can see that a road trip is in order. Thank you for all the great information. I have been to the RiRa's in Portland. I spent a year at Maine Medical Center.....as a student not a patient...thank you very much.
Will check out the local haunts that you mentioned as I head through Concord and Portsmouth on the way to Maine for camping and Cabelas
And ordering the Jerry Freemans seemed like a no-brainer.
Susan
technowhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Whistle Free or Die wrote: And ordering the Jerry Freemans seemed like a no-brainer.
Just got a C Blackbird today, WOW!
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
RamblDoc

Post by RamblDoc »

To WFOD again:
1. Some more thoughts on shopping for tin whistles and their applications from your New Hampshire base. If your new Freeman instruments have arrived, you probably have two whistles that are better than any and all tin whistles that you'd be apt to find in any store in NH! I've never seen any so called high-end whistles, new or used in shops throughout New England. Same goes for mid priced ones, although I did see new Susatos in stock many years ago. Inexpensive stock (untweaked) ones are about all you'll find. Music stores and Irish/Celtic-theme gift shops are where they are mostly found. The choices nowadays, include Generations red-topped brass and blue-top nickel ones, Feadogs, Waltons, the Clarke varieties ( all tin original, Sweetones & Megs ), and sometimes Acorns and Oaks. It is not impossible , by any means to get a real gem of an instrument off the shelf. For example, I wouldn't part with my 1980's Eb and F Gens, or my vintage Walton's Mello D. But, getting your hands on Sindts, Burkes, Water Weasels, Abells, Busmans, Overtons, Copelands, etc. etc. or even Susatos is not so easy. Your best bet, in my opinion is to attend some Irish sessions and get to know the whistle players, seek their expert advice and they'll probably offer their whistle for you to try.
2. If you show up at RiRa's Portsmouth at our session, don't forget to bring your new Freemans. I'd like to see them. And, if you would allow it, I'd love to try them, too.
3. Up near you, in Bristol NH, there is usually a weekly ITM session; In all likelihood you will encounter a whistle player there.
4. An observation from an experienced whistler: You're pretty well set for instruments at this time. Now your attentions would be best directed at how to play them. After you've learned to play and new instrumental needs develop, you can look then at acquiring new whistles i.e. a loud session whistle, whistle in other keys, etc.
Both of your new Freemans will last you for the rest of your life if you take care of them (like not abuse them)
Best wishes RamblDoc
P.S. You're right: Whistles are cool. Way cool. And, after all these years, too, I confirm it.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And also keep your eyes out for the Pipers Gathering in Burlington, VT in early August http://www.pipersgathering.org

There will be whistle and flute vendors there (Jerry Freeman himself has been in attendance for the past couple of years), whistle and flute instruction by Mike McHale and Andrea Mori, sessions, concerts, and lots more.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Whistle Free or Die

Re: getting my hands on a higher priced whistle as rambidoc spoke of.....there was a Burke on ebay a few weeks ago...and yes I did bid on it.. up to $75.00 and then gave up. It went for around $113.00. I was too new to realize what was before me. Oh well.
Thanks Steve B. for the info on the Pipers Gathering in Vermont. Will be there.
Whistle up date.....as of Saturday 11:00 am there was no Freeman whistles in my mailbox. I will patiently wait....yeah right. Well, its been less than a week since i placed my order.
Susan
riverman

Post by riverman »

mutepointe wrote:I have a certain satisfaction from an instrument that prevents me from singing along too. I should just not mention this next aspect and let you figure this out for yourself but I'm not that nice a person. Wind instruments may very well improve your singing voice to a notable degree. People now want me to sing. A cruel, cruel trick was played on me.
He's lying, Whistle Free or Die, he is a nice person!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I think not. I refused Riverman pity when he fell off a church roof recently and had a serious wrist injury. No pity here pal.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78879&hilit=roof
白飞梦
Whistle Free or Die

Yippee, my two whistles have arrived. Thank you Jerry!!!!
Susan