Take a break....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
RudallRose

Take a break....

Post by RudallRose »

.... just appreciate Molloy in his "prime".....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6YJAFbJ ... re=related

Bothy Band....but Molloy does a pretty cool solo at 3:09.....and just watch the finger-slide work on the short-F in part B of the reel. A new take I hadn't even considered.

And it's a Rudall he's playing, btw. The Pratten apparently shows up later.
Adrian W.

Re: Take a break....

Post by Adrian W. »

Not an expert, but he has said in interviews all the Bothy stuff was done with a Rudall.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I'm very interested in this thing called 'a prime'. How does one obtain such? Seriously, it just doesn't get much better than that.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

crookedtune wrote:I'm very interested in this thing called 'a prime'. How does one obtain such?
Don't know. I suspect I've left it a bit late. You could ask Miss Jean Brodie - I understand she had one. Mathematicians seem keen on them too.

Terry
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It sounded and looked like they all enjoyed the music. Hard to describe, but good stuff.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i just watched it; thanks for the link, great stuff!

and just between you and me, i prefer the tone he got from the Rudall ;)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

Is that sean reid's he's playing?
Unless I'm mistaken he does a different solo in a few other recordings....
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

FascinatedWanderer wrote:Is that sean reid's he's playing?
Unless I'm mistaken he does a different solo in a few other recordings....
Yeah, Donal said that "it's up to Matt", so I suppose he does different ones, just goes with the flow.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:)

Thanks for that! Paddy Keenan gave us that set this summer at Swannanoa, only with "Flower of the Flock" as the G reel (which he, of course, just lays out in lavender on the pipes). Over the course of the week he told us a few stories about Matt's various flute adventures, but I'm not sure where they fit in the chronology. Apparently his first flute was not only a nightmare to play; its tuning gave the whole band fits too (this from a piper, so it must have been pretty wacky).

Anyway, I came home with a whole new appreciation for the Kesh after hearing Paddy play it, so thanks for the reminder. It was indeed a happy little break.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tucson_whistler

Cathy Wilde wrote:. Apparently his first flute was not only a nightmare to play; its tuning gave the whole band fits too (this from a piper, so it must have been pretty wacky).
i've been reading up on "german" flutes lately; i have one i got on ebay--it had a nasty crack in, which Jon C fixed for me. now it rocks. :)

he sent me a photo of 2 other "nach Meyer" flutes next to mine--like i said, i've been reading up on them, both in my Hammy Flute Player's Handbook and in the online article posted over in the Used Exchange--and i guess a lot of the "nach" Meyers (which means "after" Meyer; in other words, somebody who wasn't Meyer made them, theoretically at least, based off of one of his) have terrible tuning and/or quality issues.

Jon told me i got lucky with mine... (knock on something) it's mostly in tune. so i lucked out this time; ebay shoppers of "german" flutes beware...

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tucson_whistler wrote:a lot of the "nach" Meyers (which means "after" Meyer; in other words, somebody who wasn't Meyer made them, theoretically at least, based off of one of his)
Yes, that's basically right. Actually, "nach" can have multiple meanings in German, including "according to" or "after the manner of" or "in the style of", rather like French "à la". So a natural English equivalent of nach Meyer might be "Meyer-style" flute, and implying not made by Meyer himself.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tucson_whistler

i think it's funny now; if i had know then that "nach Meyer" meant "Meyer-style" then i probably wouldn't have bid on it on ebay. like i said, i got lucky on that one. :)

cheers,
eric