Which Freeman?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
plaidjaguar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Which Freeman?

Post by plaidjaguar »

I'm a brand new whistle player. I just started last week, and I'm using the only whistle I could find locally--an Acorn in D.
I want to replace the Acorn with a really good whistle. I want to get a Freeman tweak, but I don't know if I should get the Sweetone, Generation, or Blackbird. I have heard audio clips of the Blackbird, and I'm truly in love with the sound, but I've read that it can be harder for a beginner to play. (I did consider the Mellowdog, but I like the bright sound of the Blackbird better.)

So, my question is: how much more difficult is the Blackbird to play, and is the sound quality different enough from the other two to be noticeable to the untrained ear?

Thanks for your help. :)
Savannah
Arch_Angel

Re: Which Freeman?

Post by Arch_Angel »

Jerry is a regular on this site. PM him and let him know what you like in terms of tone qualities, and such. He'll know which of his products are closest to your desires. It's truely amazing how much he tweaks these things. I'm sure he'll be the best resource for you.

You would have to ask him, but he might be willing to squeak your current whistle. :lol:

Mike
Speak up, judge righteously, Champion the poor and the needy.
Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

I think most would agree that one of the best all around Freeman Whistle's is his Mellow Dog in D. The Blackbird is a quiet whistle and requires some breath control.

For a beginner I would recommend you start with the Mellow Dog and sometime down the road consider the Blackbird.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you like a particular sound, that's what you should go for.
My brain hurts

ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

All the advice you've gotten here is good and accurate. I own most of Jerry's whistles including all three you mention. The Mellow Dog is one of my very favorite whistles. The Blackbird is beautiful but may frustrate you at first until you gain the breath control necessary to appreciate it. I'm not personally fond of the Sweetone but that's just me. Some folks love it. The Generations Jerry tweaks are really nice, particularly the legendary Bb.

If I could only pick one, I'd go with the Mellow Dog. If I had to pick a second choice, I'd go with the Blackbird.

Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:If you like a particular sound, that's what you should go for.
I agree with Mr. Gumby. Go for the sound you like. You'll enjoy playing more.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

plaidjaguar wrote:I want to replace the Acorn with a really good whistle.
But the Acorn is a really good whistle. Let that sink in ... :wink:

Everything you need in order to learn to play great whistle is already in your hands.

Jerry's D Mellow Dog has lately become my main session whistle. If all my other D whistles disappeared tomorrow, I would not be terribly disappointed. At least for a while. :-)

The Blackbird was deliberately designed with certain characteristics for the advanced player in mind. Particularly in terms of breath control and chirp. But beginners may enjoy it, too.

Any of Jerry's tweaked whistles is a solid, well-voiced instrument for anyone, beginner to advanced.

Don't let audio clips sway you. You will sound nothing like the clips. Pick a whistle you feel good about, and practice. A lot. Until you can appreciate the differences.

And welcome to the Chiffboard!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I recommend the Mellow Dog. I promise you'll be delighted with it.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I looked at the thread title and in my mind I snorted (which hurts, by the way), "Which Freeman? There's only one."
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote:I looked at the thread title and in my mind I snorted (which hurts, by the way), "Which Freeman? There's only one."
Well, there's also Ralphie the mouse (or whale or rat or whatever)....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Whistlin' Will
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Steve Bliven wrote:Well, there's also Ralphie the mouse (or whale or rat or whatever)....

It's also a duck. :o
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
plaidjaguar

Post by plaidjaguar »

Thanks for all your help! I got the Acorn because I was very anxious to start playing, but I've heard so much about Jerry's tweaks that I really must try one.
I think I will get the Mellowdog, though I'm pretty sure I'm destined for a Blackbird down the road, when I'm skilled enough to coax that glorious sound from it.

I'm sure I'll catch WhOA soon enough, and probably end up with all of them anyway. ;)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Any of his high D whistles will be just fine for you. Yes, they're each a little bit different, but the differences are slighter than you'd guess from the way we carry on about it.

They'll all much, much better than the whistles I and anyone else who's been playing for more than a decade had to begin with.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
oakuss

Post by oakuss »

I'm with MTGuru here -- the Acorn is a nice whistle. First one I ever got. I then contracted WHOA, got many others, and forgot all about it. I just found it and tried it again recently and was pretty impressed.

But then ... I decided to "improve" it. I'd loosen the mouthpiece to make it tunable using hot water (I've done this many times on other whistles) ... Couldn't get it lose, wow! some glue they're using. I persevered. Tried making the water hotter ... oops, too hot! -- Melted it. Dang.

Wonder where I can find another locally?

But you can't go wrong with anything from Freeman.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

plaidjaguar wrote:I'm sure I'll catch WhOA soon enough
You've been playing for a week and already have a hankering for more whistles. Hate to tell you, but you've already caught it. :lol:
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde