Duh....stand up for more air!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I should have remembered this....but it wasn't until my son was attacking me during tonights practice session that I remembered that standing to play makes a real difference in lung capacity! I've been gasping on some slow airs, and wondering what it was I'm doing wrong...I'm going to stand for those from now on!

I just mention this because I've heard a few complaints now and then about how much air some whistles take, and there might be a few novices here who don't realize the advantages of standing.

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-15 20:04, spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
I should have remembered this....but it wasn't until my son was attacking me during tonights practice session that I remembered that standing to play makes a real difference in lung capacity! I've been gasping on some slow airs, and wondering what it was I'm doing wrong...I'm going to stand for those from now on!

I just mention this because I've heard a few complaints now and then about how much air some whistles take, and there might be a few novices here who don't realize the advantages of standing.

Robin
Very true! Another thing most people don't think of is, stick that belly out! We're so used to trying to hold it in, we find it hard to think about pushing it out, but it makes a huge difference in how far you can drop your diaphragm (and, thus, how well you can control your air flow).

Redwolf
blood'n'roses

Post by blood'n'roses »

great reminder! standing, using the diaphram and good posture make big differences :smile:

~blood'n'roses
~bloodwood & rosewood, the essence of my newfound love~
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Hi, blood'n'roses, welcome to the board; I'm fairly new myself, but as you can see, have a few posts under the belt :wink:

When you get a chance, introduce yourself, we'd love to meet you!

R.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Proper Posture is the essence of good sound/tonal production. (can you tell I've been a band nerd for too long?? :lol: ) One other tip to remember for good air support is to not 'breathe with your shoulders.' (ie. when taking breath, raising your shoulders and ducking your head... very common, actually) You need to think "barrel-chest"... expand your stomach and torso area when you breathe, and you will be able to go for so much longer on one breath, it's amazing.

Although, first time you try breathing like that, you have a hard time remembering what to do with all that air... :wink:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Something else I found helpful is to play on an empty stomach. I was eating dinner before sessions and found it hard to get a whole lung full of air.

Now I stop for a bite on the way home.

Mike
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Hi Slowair,
I have a hard time playing after a meal. The breathing thing is more difficult.
Current stage of grief: Denial