A Note on the "Cheapie V. High End" Theme

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Note on the "Cheapie V. High End" Theme

Post by PhilO »

While reading the NY Times Book Review today, I noted on the Bauman Rare Books page a number of costly items, the highest of which was William Shakespeare, second folio of his plays, 1632, at $398,000. I've studied and read all of Shakespeare (or whoever wrote all the plays) and it's great stuff. I also love books and we tend to hang on to most of the hardcovers we've already read as well as some neat paperbacks. I love mysteries, historicals, classics. I don't generally re-read anything. While it would be nice to own the aforementioned Shakespeare (especially signed), I think the set I have will suffice.

Now, think about whistles, which can be played and enjoyed over and over, with endless new tunes.

Yes, whatever the market will bear, whatever you can afford, and whatever you choose to spend. All fine. But let's feel even better about our "high end" whistles from this day forth!

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: A Note on the "Cheapie V. High End" Theme

Post by Byll »

Ah. I so love the smell of philosophy, in the late afternoon. Well said, friend PhilO.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Agreed.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Signed by whom? Every edition of Shakespeare is posthumous.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

s1m0n wrote:Every edition of Shakespeare is posthumous.
Except the First Folio ... since Bacon outlived its publication by 3 years. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

If you want to feel even better about high end whistles, look at prices for other instruments. Uillean pipes, violins,harps, mandolins: you usually have to pay much more than the cost of an expensive whistle just to get out of the gate.
There are some instruments where, as with the whistle you can get very serviceable inexpensive models, such as excellent plastic recorders, ukuleles. However, if you choose to go high end again the costs rise astronomically. Check out, for example some astounding ukes: http://www.moorebettahukes.com/
These are some of the most beautiful examples of instrument making I've ever seen anywhere, at any price.
In the greater scheme of things, high end whistles are not all that expensive. That said, those who still can't afford them need not suffer from lack of excellent playing lower priced instruments. There is truly a whistle for everyone
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you want to feel even better about high end whistles, look at prices for other instruments. Uillean pipes, violins,harps, mandolins: you usually have to pay much more than the cost of an expensive whistle just to get out of the gate.
Total case of apples and oranges. A spurious argument trotted out here each and every time. 'Even a bow for a cello would cost more than the most expensive whistle'. Yes that's true and an aeroplane would be more expensive than a bicycle. How is that relevant?

They different things and a totally different effort goes into making them. It doesn't wash.

Will we move on to arguing about the confusion between 'a great deal more expensive' and 'high end' now?
My brain hurts

brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Total case of apples and oranges. A spurious argument made here each and every time. 'Even a bow for a cello would cost more than the most expensive whistle'. Yes that's true and an aeroplane would be more expensive than a bicycle. How is that relevant?

They different things and a totally different effort goes into making them. It doesn't wash.
Chill dude-- I was just pointing out that we, as whistle players, are not nearly so prone to bankrupting expenses that players of other instruments are, and that even the best of the best whistles are not a "take out a second mortgage" expense.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: A spurious argument trotted out here each and every time.
I don't know what's spurious about stating that whistles cost less than uilleann pipes.

This issue really hit me when I gave up playing the flute, and for the money that I got for selling just one of the flutes that I owned I was able to go out and purchase several Low D whistles (a Copeland, a Reviol with three bodies, a Burke, and two MKs).

There's something cool about playing along with a $15000 set of uilleann pipes and a $2000 violin and a $3000 guitar and a $3000 flute on a $6 whistle, or even a $300 Low Whistle.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Harmonica seems to be another instrument where professionals play sub $100 instruments.
Cheaper still to ask the waitress for a pair of spoons.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

The apex of high end whistle
is the one given by a veteran whistle virtuoso
to his or her humble student who shows promise

But alas! we do not hear much about this in a culture
where people think that money can buy everything
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I.D.10-t wrote:Harmonica seems to be another instrument where professionals play sub $100 instruments.
The harmonica is indeed a humble instrument but things are not always as humble as they appear. Several pros I have spoken with have their instruments made to order or specially prepared by master tweakers - for a price of course. But surely they never cost as much as a Loar era mandolin. :)

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Feadoggie wrote:......humble instrument ........
the humbleness of an instrument
cannot be known by how much it cost
chas

Post by chas »

PhilO wrote: I don't generally re-read anything.
I re-read loads of stuff. It helps having very little memory. I'm currently enjoying a three-book series of which the fourth book is coming out in February.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

brewerpaul wrote:Check out, for example some astounding ukes: http://www.moorebettahukes.com/
Yes, those are well-known beauties. There's something of the "whistle effect" inflation in the uke world, too. When I bought my soprano uke I tried maybe 20-30 in the store, up to the most expensive Martin 3K and the like. And I chose my Big Island because it simply sounded and played better, with superb workmanship at 1/10 the cost.

Then there's my friend who paid $10K for a beautiful custom guitar, and ended up preferring his old Ibanez ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.