Where did the honk come from?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Where did the honk come from?

Post by jemtheflute »

Cross posted, Nano - you got your edit in first! See also my edits/addition.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jemtheflute wrote:Cross posted, Nano - you got your edit in first! See also my edits/addition.
Gawd. This is getting ugly. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

So, yeah, about that:
jemtheflute wrote:And doesn't our discussion thus far just raise that archetypal semantic difficulty? i.e. different folk use/envisage the same word, even concept, differently. Even when there is demonstrably tolerable consensus over usage (we ain't there on this one yet!) every individual has their own nuanced interpretation..... and no-one else will quite understand perfectly what they meant when they said something.....
And how many times is it now that we have all gone 'round and 'round about what "nyaah" is, for that matter?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Cross posted, Nano - you got your edit in first! See also my edits/addition.
fraught :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
fraught :D
I was thinking more in the sense of "galumphing".
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nanohedron wrote:And how many times is it now that we have all gone 'round and 'round about what "nyaah" is, for that matter?
Don't for gawd's sake mention "chiff"! :boggle: :boggle: :boggle:
Oh. Ooops! :puppyeyes:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:really:

But while we're still trying to define what "honk" is, in the meantime as a break here's a little vid for your entertainment:

Honk Fail
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Is it the same sound that I get when I blow my nose really hard, and afterwards look around the room and have to say "excuse me"?
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

jemtheflute wrote:Mmm, I don't think I've encountered the term "buzz" applied to flute tone, even ITM strong, reedy tone, in an approbatory way, and it certainly isn't a term I've noticed bandied about on this forum!
dear Jem,

before things get too sillly :) this is where i saw someone use the word "buzz" to refer to what i think you meant by a sustained tone:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=79716&p=999515&hilit=buzz#p999515

if it's not in common usage, i think maybe it should be? let's try! :) i think its useful to distinguish between the sustained tone and the breath pulse used as articulation.

also, thanks for the links. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Thanks for the link Jem.

OT: whan happened to all those Rudall Carte boehm system flutes in cocuswood??? I never saw one on ebay...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I like the word 'buzz' applied to flute tone. Makes perfect sense to me.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:Thanks for the link Jem.

OT: whan happened to all those Rudall Carte boehm system flutes in cocuswood??? I never saw one on ebay...
Lorenzo, there are plenty out there. I'd say on average I probably see about a dozen or so a year go by on eBay, about twice as many as one sees 8-key conoid Rudalls. There are also usually examples on dealer websites like Bingham's, Bigio's, the Shoreys' etc. However, a majority were/are HP and many also have open G#s.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Here's a great example of pulsing rhythm playing. This is from Michael Clarkson's site. Once he gets up to speed, imagine an egg rolling down a hill lengthwise (from head to toe). I especially love the music critic in the background. ;)

http://irishflute.podbean.com/?s=jolly+seven

Cheers,

Kirk
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

jemtheflute wrote:
Othannen wrote:Thanks for the link Jem.

Lorenzo, there are plenty out there. I'd say on average I probably see about a dozen or so a year go by on eBay, about twice as many as one sees 8-key conoid Rudalls. There are also usually examples on dealer websites like Bingham's, Bigio's, the Shoreys' etc. However, a majority were/are HP and many also have open G#s.
Uhm that means that I unconsciously skip them when I see too many keys :D
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Is it the same sound that I get when I blow my nose really hard, and afterwards look around the room and have to say "excuse me"?
Sometimes it is, I expect. I would also venture to say that it's probably not by intent, a matter of artistic license. But if it is, then an intervention - on pain of expulsion from the session - is absolutely indicated.

Y'know, "buzz" ain't workin' for me, either. Makes me think we should be talking about dizi flutes. But something tells me that I'm hard to please today, so you guys just go ahead and use whatever words you like; might take a while (as happened with "honk"), but I'll probably get the jist. :)