Time to call on my friends here

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Time to call on my friends here

Post by Cubitt »

Hey, gang,

I am 58 years old and am experiencing something my father experienced at around the same age - a slight numbing of the fingers. It never got particularly severe for my father, and I don't think it is related to carpal tunnel since he never engaged in the kind of activity that would promote carpal tunnel. There is no pain whatsoever, but as you can imagine, it wreaks havoc with the accuracy with which my fingers cover the holes of the flute as I play. The more I play, the better the sound simply because my fingers know the way even with the diminished sensitivity.

So let me know your own experiences with this, if any, and any suggestions you have.

Cheers.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Time to call on my friends here

Post by Jayhawk »

This will be a hard question for people to answer since answers will likely veer too close to the slippery slope of medical advice which is verbotten on the board.

Have you seen a doctor about it if you're worried? Seems like the easiest way to see if there is anything to be concerned about. Lots of things can cause numbness in your hands that are not carpal tunnel related.

Good luck, and I hope it ends up like your dad - not progressing.

Eric
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Jayhawk wrote:This will be a hard question for people to answer since answers will likely veer too close to the slippery slope of medical advice which is verbotten on the board.

Eric
Agreed. I'm not particularly looking for a cure, but rather an indication of how common this is and any means by which those similarly afflicted managed around it.

Thanks for the reply.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
y-nought

Post by y-nought »

I'm 50 years old and I have a numbness in the last two fingers of my right hand. The severity comes and goes, but it is always apparent. Doesn't effect me much except for rolls on E can be slow or inaccurate (numbness not totally to blame for that, though).

I've tried a few things to help out with varying degrees of success. I believe my particular case has to do with nerve restriction in the shoulder and elbow.

I hope yours gets better, or is at least manageable.
Holmes

Post by Holmes »

Sounds like cervical spondylosis (Neck arthritis) from where the nerves eminate. Could be carpel tunnel or various other or similar neurological differentials. The remedy depends on the accurate diagnosis.

Kind regards

H
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Holmes wrote:Sounds like cervical spondylosis (Neck arthritis) from where the nerves eminate. Could be carpel tunnel or various other or similar neurological differentials.
[hat=moderator]I know everyone's well-meaning, but the first sentence above especially teeters into violating the medical post rules. Let's all refrain from on-line diagnoses, please. But if we can't resist, then let us do so via the time-honored and unassailable methods of PM or email. Thanks.[/hat]
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

I've had good luck with chiropractic treatments, they're very knowledgeable about the workings of nerves and such.
huffin' and puffin'
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

See your physician. Don't listen to us.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thenk kew. I don't want to start editing out posts if I can help it. If we can leave things as they are thus far, fine and dandy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Image
Oh man ... That guy ^^ is going to need some medical attention.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Not handing out advice just my own situation.

Depending on how I sit or lay down I can get the pinky and ring fingers on each hand to go numb.

It can be related to the ulnar nerve. It could be how you rest on your elbows or it may be in the spine.

For me it's the spine because I have it bi-laterally.

Issue between the lower cervical and upper thoracic vertebrae according to my doc.

It was happening really frequently when I was fencing to compete. I wasn't cross training properly and getting unbalanced muscle strength.

I corrected it with better balanced physical training. I know you have some expertise in weight training Alan so I think you know how it can go.

I think I just may be predisposed to it though because it's happening again and I've been doing nothing but sitting on my arse playing flute obsessively for the last few years and getting fat! :D

Now there may be something related to us lifting our flutes and favoring the development of certain muscle groups over others but who knows?

A doctor would... or should.

I'll be bringing it up again on my next visit to my Back Doc which should be soon.

Go get it checked out.

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You're just now experiencing these kind of problems at 58 years old! Quick, tell everyone that you have found the fountain of youth.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Cubitt,
You need to see a neurologist for this problem. Hopefully they will be able to isolate the cause, (if they can) do nerve tests etc.
I have had Peripheral neuropathology for over 20 years, bet to get it checked out sooner then later.
Hope this doesn't break any rules... :)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Orthopaedic hand surgeon (a good one won't want to do surgery, but that's what
they are called).
Someone who specializes in hands, including a hand therapist.
Of course they know lots about arms, elbows, etc too; otherwise
you often can't effectively treat hands.

Internists may not know much about it, in my experience.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

58! Cripes, I'm MONTHS away from that!

I concur with the stuff above. See a doctor. I have slowly advancing arthritis in my left hand, which I haven't brought to anyone's attention. But numbness is different. If it's not in your skull, you need to see a doctor.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde