Walking stick whistle??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Walking stick whistle??

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I've found flutes, a recorder and even an Indian Flute

Does anybody know of a maker or makers building walking sticks or canes with Irish whistles in them?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
jkrazy52

Re: Walking stick whistle??

Post by jkrazy52 »

Chuck, I have a Hoover A from a ski pole. Not sure he still makes one so that the whole ski pole will still assemble. Mack is the only one I recall that comes close.

Judy
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

I've been making a few walking sticks lately and one of my projects is to do a walking stick flute, but I'd be interested in a whistle model! What is the physical arrangement for the recorder one you have seen? Does the stick come apart to expose a head? A pic would be great.

Some sticks.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Mack.Hoover wrote:Image
I surely do remember that one, Mack. Always thought it one of your coolest efforts

Re the recorders-

I don't have pictures. I met the guy at a Highland heavy athletics competition a few years back, admired his wares, but was broke, then lost his card. He was primarily a maker of Indian flutes, but had a couple of the recorders and a couple of low G whistles that were just gorgeous.

We talked long about building whistles along the lines of the recorders - don't know if he ever tried it or not.

To the best of my recollection, one of the recorder airways was built into a head somewhat like the third from left in the bottom row above, but with a shorter neck like the middle two in the upper row. . From the point, which was somewhat flattened, and airway led down to a visible tonehole and blade on the "back" side at about the level of the band. The shaft was bored below that and the fingerholes about where you'd expect. I don't recall whether the shaft was detachable below the last hole, but we did discuss the possibility of simply boring a "bell" hole into the side of the shaft without actually transecting the shaft.

The other instrument was a staff rather than a cane. A detachable knob top hid a rather ordinary carved fipple and the instrument simply resided in the top portion of the staff, which had to be detached from the lower section to be played. My only question was how sturdy such a staff would be, or if it was merely decorative. As I recall the answer was "sort of".
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've made a Native Flute with a side fipple on it, I suppose it could be done on a whistle as well.
Problem with bamboo one-piece walking-sticks is shipping it - could get quite expensive.

Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Indie

Post by Indie »

These look promising, and the people are nice (via email): http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/wal ... escription
"In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism, and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically."--Vincent Van Gogh
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Indie wrote:These look promising, and the people are nice (via email): http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/wal ... escription
Two observations:

1. That will definitely give you some elbow room at your next session. Does it come with liability insurance for facial reconstruction surgery?

2. I want a built-in compass on my next whistle!

:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

If you make the whistle a high G, you'll have not one but two potent weapons to ward off muggers and angry dogs.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Chuck_Clark wrote: To the best of my recollection, one of the recorder airways was built into a head somewhat like the third from left in the bottom row above, but with a shorter neck like the middle two in the upper row. . From the point, which was somewhat flattened, and airway led down to a visible tonehole and blade on the "back" side at about the level of the band. The shaft was bored below that and the fingerholes about where you'd expect. I don't recall whether the shaft was detachable below the last hole, but we did discuss the possibility of simply boring a "bell" hole into the side of the shaft without actually transecting the shaft.
Something like this perhaps?

A little project to finish off 2010.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

syn whistles wrote:A little project to finish off 2010.
Very nice work!. :party: Happy New Year. :party:
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Erle,
It is a beautiful instrument! I am amazed!
Mack
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

syn whistles wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote: To the best of my recollection, one of the recorder airways was built into a head somewhat like the third from left in the bottom row above, but with a shorter neck like the middle two in the upper row. . From the point, which was somewhat flattened, and airway led down to a visible tonehole and blade on the "back" side at about the level of the band. The shaft was bored below that and the fingerholes about where you'd expect. I don't recall whether the shaft was detachable below the last hole, but we did discuss the possibility of simply boring a "bell" hole into the side of the shaft without actually transecting the shaft.
A little project to finish off 2010.
Lovely. I like the concept of "hidden music" - cajhon (spelling?) drums, etc. I feel a project coming on too....
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Kludgers (like me) can make walking-stick whistles too. Not as pretty as the ones above, but it still works.

"Kiddie" High sensitivity smoke detection pipe. 25mm. It's a low D.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:cajhon (spelling?) drums
Cajón ... the augmentative form of "caja", and meaning basically "big box".

As distinct from "cojón", which is something very different ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.