Choices, choices

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Toonboog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Choices, choices

Post by Toonboog »

Can I play the Devils advocate for once?
I finally am looking for a step up as far as flutes go.
Of all the makers available I think I narrowed it down to three. For reasons of distance, cost, waiting time, etc.
I sort of doubt between a keyless flute in mopane by François Baubet or a standard flute by Gert Lejeune. If possible also in mopane. Or a flute by Solen lesouef.

I know it all comes down to personal preference, skill etc., but, addressing the amount of knowledge and experience on this board, I wonder: which one of these three would you go for?
Steve Bliven

Re: Choices, choices

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm not sure you could make a mistake with that group.

It may be best resolved with personal contact with each of the makers to sort out questions of lead times, details on the instrument (lined/unlined head, aesthetics of the rings, layout of the fingerholes as one section or two), case, PRICE, things like that.

Developing a relationship with the maker, as fleeting as it might be, may increase your confidence both in the original instrument and in upkeep or repair in the future.

And, finally, if you find that your purchase just doesn't work for you, instruments by any of those makers will sell easily.

Them's my thoughts.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Ditto...Steve nailed it. Fwiw...love my Barber.
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

Hadn't heard of Barber, I think
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

LOL...spell check didn't like Baubet.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think distance should be a priority, unless you're planning to collect the flute yourself and even then, budget airlines will get you to most places in Europe without much of a problem. First priority should be a flute that will suit your chosen style of playing and you will need to extensively play a few flutes from a maker you have selected before you make any final decisions.
My brain hurts

vermichou

Post by vermichou »

I have a Lejeune Standard model, 6 key, Blackwood. It's a really good flute and I love it. It's very easy to play, but can also be a good challenge for more advanced players in order to find the sweet spot (combination of good sound, air efficiency, comfort of playing). I've tried an Olwell headjoint on the flute, and came back to my original headjoint. That's how good the craftmanship is!

Michel Balatti plays a Lejeune Standard (in Cocus though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6TjXTXcq8w

I've also tried Solen's flutes, they were also very easy to play. I just loved her Monape Eb. Different philosophies, as Solen model's are based off Rudall I think whereas Geert's Standard is based on an improved Pratten. Solen gives a great attention to details and her flutes are truly beautiful too.

I've tried a Delrin Baubet once, very quickly though, so I can't give you my 2 cents on that.

I disagree though with one thing: I feel it is, if possible, better to be close the maker. Being able to go, spend time trying different models, embouchures is important. Especially since everyone is changing, most flute makers are not doing things the exact same way as they used to in the past, so the best place to try a flute is directly at their workshop with updated material.
Toonboog

Post by Toonboog »

I totally agree with your idea about distance.
I wouldn't be able to go to the states to try an Orwell or the likes.

I dare put my fate in a few European makers, but the possibility to go and try is time and money well spend.

Which would make Geert Lejeune the person to go to.
I hear noting but praise for his flutes an dhe is ony about 4 hours drive away.
A friend of mine spoke to Hammy Hammilton about my quest and Hammy also pointed to Lejeune for his craftmanship.

Nonetheless, I have had contact with Francois Baubet a few times and he is a very nice knowledgeable guy.

I contacted him to see if he had any flutes in stock (as he usually does have keyless in stock according to his website)., but haven't heared from him yet.
Maybe he's on holiday. It's the right season for it :)
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I'm a very satisfied owner of a Solen Lesouef keyless flute in a warm-brown Mopane. It's certainly attractive, and well made. It must be easy to play as I"m starting to get a nice sound despite being very inexperienced. OXOXXX is a stronger C-nat than OXXOOO. I'm also finding the cross fingering is also useful for C-rolls and some note transitions.

I can comment that Solen was very easy and professional to deal with. She said three months and it was a little longer. I think she makes her flutes in small batches.

The Dollar is strong wrt the Euro and Pound, so flutes from the old world may be a better deal these days. I'm not sure how VAT comes into play when you're buying directly from the maker.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Preference in flute is such an individual thing that I think it would be impossible for anyone to answer.

I can't comment on Solen's flutes, but I should have my mopane D in roughly a month, if all goes well, so I can comment on them after that point comes and I've become acquainted.

I love my Baubet. I went through a few flutes at one point, and Baubet's flutes are what I've stuck with.

The only thing you can really do is either buy them or find a way to try them beforehand, and if you don't like whatever you try, then sell it or try another until you find a flute that fits how you play, as everyone has a different style in mind, a different way of blowing, different preferences, etc.
Tonehole
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tonehole »

Oh my - I didn't realise there were other many Solen Lesoeuf flute players out there! Welcome guys to the fan club :)

Toonboog - if you're devil's advocate and you've settled on a Lejeune, here's another take!

I have 2 Solen Lesoeuf flutes; Rudall Rose, Hawkes, Boosey Hawkes Siccama, Jezequel as well as Pratten Perfected and don't understand why flute players would pick a favourite when they can make it possible to have more :)

Someone mentioned the design differences as well as geography. I met Solen several times and am really thrilled by her flutes. Her waiting time was >1 year, but well worth it. I didn't know what the design differences were. The Rudall Rose is gorgeous, but weak at the 3rd octave and also needs servicing to get it back to spec with a contemporary flute. If this is the same design which Solen uses for her D keyed flute, I can reach the 3rd octave A no problems at pitch (if you find it amusing to terrify pets and neighbours this way). She serviced it for me out of courtesy - hers - when I was travelling through France last year. Most makers are really lovely people. They don't make flutes without loving their job. Solen is unique for her detailing of her spectacular keywork and also one of the few makers who make a low Bb keyed flute (not all do this) and you can get personalised help with key distances if you have really short fingers or struggle with small spreads. Her embouchure bushings are really special too. As Vermichou says - her flutes are truly beautiful. A flute maker doesn't put all the attention to the block design, keys, embouchure and historical research just to make it look pretty. Unlike some of the makers, Solen is a flute player too.

I've no experience with the other French makers, including LeCoant, LeBot but their models are somewhere in between. If you are looking for an everyday session weapon, most french contemporary makers will be spot on. If you're looking for something exceptional at cost, maybe Jezequel, Jourdan and the other few guys down the Lyon side which I've not been able to get to are worth scoping out.

Pratten Perfected designs seem quite common unless you are after keys (is this true for you all? I only found a handful of makers who were still making keyed Pratten Perfecteds with most doing Rudall Rose variants or their own hybrids). They will need a honk of air, wider finger spread maybe. I love my Pratten Perfected too but it's the Solen Lesouef one which I find I am drawn to pull out most often. It is the easiest to live with; the most beautiful (well, Rudall Rose is nice, but shame about the pinched 3rd octave D). It's very loud but I think that is down to the player. It has a real honk in the first octave and loud penetration in the third with a creamy smooth second octave. I'm not doing ITM either so the 3rd octave is important to me. If I am splitting hairs, I am sure the Jezequel is pitch perfect on the pitch tuner but I can't hear any practical difference. Loudness - I've heard Pratten Perfecteds played softer than a Palanca traverso. The head assembly of the Lesoeuf is very well done, whereas I was shocked to find some of my other flutes, have a head cap...and a gap between that and an inner cork with nothing to hold the cork in its position other than wall friction!

Good luck. Whatever happens, we need to get the Lesouef flute players on a channel :)
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

I met Geert Lejeune a few times this year and I ordered a four keyed standard D-flute from him (Will be ready next July; can't wait). I also have a keyless G-flute in cocus wood made by Geert and it's gorgeous. Don't know if he does mopane, but he apparently has a nice stack of cocus wood. It will cost you more, though, but I love the sound... :)
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Depending on what you want your sound to be, and what your ergonomic restrictions are (if you have any), there is no finer instrument than a Hamilton. There may be prettier/flashier flutes, but for tone, intonation (internal and external), weight and balance, and an excellent, personable, builder with a lifetime of experience, Hammy is tops. I play two of his flutes - a 6key D, and a keyless short foot, which I refer to as my 'sport flute'. He should be on your list.

Here's a vid of Orlaith McAulliffe playing a couple of jigs on her Hammy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6laGmJPdLU
Listen to the breadth and intensity of her tone - it's characteristic of Hammy's flutes
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Flexismart wrote: Listen to the breadth and intensity of her tone - it's characteristic of Hammy's flutes

..or maybe characteristic of a good flute player :wink: