dressing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
punteru

dressing

Post by punteru »

what is the normal stuff for dressing bags a bellows?
I see that is used latex now, how is the procedure?
Where does latex buy? It is natural latex ruuber or a mixture of latex and other stuff.
danepiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

dressing

Post by danepiper »

Hello Puntero:

Latex fluidum or rubbermilk. You can buy it as natural or syntetic latex.

Naturel latex comes from tree`s . You can buy it in a hobbystore.
Using latex for bags could follow this describtion.

When you have made the bag. Then block all holes except the hole were the chanter used to be. Get about a cup of latex into the bag, work with the bag to get the latex into the leather and the sewns. When you have finished that , then get the rest of latex out of the bag, this is importent , fill the bag with air,block the hole .Let the bag dry about a week or two.
If the isnt airtight give it one more coat. You can also give the leather one or two coat og latex before assembling the bag. Then you only have to do the sewnings airtight.

If you go to the listserv and write 25 oct 2001 in the searc . then go to the number at the left 020068. You will find information how you are doing the treament in another way.
Or ask Royce Lerwick he knows how to do it. And it works too.

Regards Ole
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

IMHO the traditional way is easierand better. In a double boiler, melt beeswax and lard, 3 times the wax as lard (or neatsfoot oil) for bag dressing. Use 4:1 for bellows. Pour in warm in a corked off bag or bellows, inflate, slosh around, apply pressure to squeeze dressing through any leaks, uncork, drain and strip out excess. Wipe off any that came to the outside and you are ready to go. Repeat in a few years, if needed.

Ted
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Re: Latex, try it as 2 parts Latex to 1 part water, if you use it neat it can clog things up. I did that and was picking out (I think you call them) boogers for a long time....

Alan
Royce

Post by Royce »

AlanB wrote:Re: Latex, try it as 2 parts Latex to 1 part water, if you use it neat it can clog things up. I did that and was picking out (I think you call them) boogers for a long time....

Alan
If you do try latex, it has to be with fresh, dry, untreated leather. If you've had any other sort of seasoning in there before it will simply clot up and roll off the leather and come out in sheets, blobs, flakes, or "boogers."

The truth is, latex doesn't really adhere to dry leather all that well and will still flake/sheet/roll/gob off and blow down the neck or stock and into reeds, or down the blow hose if it's a bellows and end up the same place.

Cutting it with water might work pretty well as it should thin and penetrate better, and leave a thinner film on the surface when it dries.

I stick with wood soap, or "pure flax soap" and vegetable shortening. Or you can use beeswax and shortening. I don't like the neatsfoot oil because it oozes through the bag and the lard goes rancid after a while.

Royce
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calum

Post by Calum »

Where can one buy powdered baby? None of the shops round here seem to sell it, and Google doesn't seem to shed much light. Can you poweder them yourself? I asssume you must have to dry them out before you powder them...would a normal oven do it? What about the powdering? My mother has a coffee grinder she doen't use much, would that do?

All this seems a bit extreme just for a pipe bag, though :o
djm

Post by djm »

Calum, you're correct. Powdered baby is pretty rare and expensive stuff these days. Check out some of the previous threads. I believe people are importing them from Spain or Sardinia or some such. Be sure to get the pre-screened stuff. You don't want to get any chunks or boogers. :o
Davey

eww...

Post by Davey »

..I use a mixture of tallow, bear grease (fat) and beeswax. Works on even the most porous of leathers...
Sean Dillon

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete