Obie_wan_Clarinobie? Burke Low D composite sounds like Oboe

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Parcour25
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Obie_wan_Clarinobie? Burke Low D composite sounds like Oboe

Post by Parcour25 »

Attention: Burke Low D composite sounds like Oboe.

I was happy to purchase one of these whistles last week on eBay at a nice price.... a very interesting instrument indeed. While I am a little disappointed at how light and (almost) fragile it seems, I am even more surprised at the tone. Although the sound is gorgeous and this low whistle is easy to play.... I swear I can close my eyes and imagine I am playing an oboe and not a whistle at all. Now, I have always wished I could play a reeded instrument like Oboe or Clarinet, but this isn't really how I expected to go about it. (And this experience was totally sober and not under the influence of any controlled or illegal substances. I promise).

So my simple question is,......... Is this how they are supposed to sound?

Maybe I have an old one in that the etching under the mouthpiese indicates a date? of 3/2000.... anyway, that's it ...

Thanks! ~dazed and confused~~~
Last edited by Parcour25 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

my low D composite gives me a stream of energie coming from above and below, connecting heaven and earth :love:

that's why i don't have any WHOA :D
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

lixnaw wrote:my low D composite gives me a stream of energie coming from above and below, connecting heaven and earth :love:

that's why i don't have any WHOA :D
So it is the world tree of Norse mythology, Yggdrasil. (How the hell does one pronounce that?) I want one too.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Ridseard wrote:
lixnaw wrote:
So it is the world tree of Norse mythology, Yggdrasil. (How the hell does one pronounce that?)
we'll leave that pronounciation up to the whistle ridseard :lol:
she's a tiny bit less responsive then the aluminium, but therefore, she's also a tiny bit more fluent!
but the sound is way different!!
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Stream of energy Linxy?...... no, not exactly for me,... yet. But it is unique enough for me to want to keep it.

I actually must catagorize it as more of a hybrid between a clarinet and oboe... What would that be,....... an Obie_wan_clarinobie?

It is fun, and that's the great thing about whistles.... such wonderful music, and by me, a drummer who wouldn't know an ombechure (sp?) if it sneeked up from behind and bit me....

This is crazy, but I feel an order to fellow Coloradan, Mack Hoover for a Low G coming on...... Somebody, Stop me. (too late).

fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I have one of his AL-Pro low Ds and I immediately thought I was playing the flutiest whistle I had ever heard. It has the nice reedy "hard" bottom D (you know, the D with the strong A overtone mixed in) that just sends chills down my spine. :)

It is astonishingly in tune for a cylindrical low D.

It is hard to put down, but my right hand gets tired and I have to.

Sometimes it takes away from my uilleann pipes practice. :o

I am going to the tionol in Chapel Hill NC next month and I bet he will be there too and I am broke. :x
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a 1999 composite low D Burke, EZ model, and I love it. That lightness is a real asset, not a bad thing. Try playing someone else's heavier low D for a long session, and you will see what I mean.
The tone is quite reedy, which I love. Since the Oboe is a reed instrument, I guess I agree with your characterization . Wonderful whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Parcour25 wrote:Stream of energy Linxy?
what made you think i've got anything to do with does pussycats :-?
they are very quiet cats, fuel of secrets.
i carry the magic omens of the WHOA casting out deception, sacred medicine bird. :)

but that was a FANTASTIC REVIEW from you parcour, glad you like her!!
Parcour25

Obie-wan-Clarinobie

Post by Parcour25 »

Thanks lixnaw... (now that I've paid attention you your screen name). I thought I saw you before with a lynx as a icon, and that is how i came up with the linxy name... Sorry. Please don't cast any bad spirits towards me. I have enough demons that I'm wrestling with already.

My Burke Obie-wan-Clarinobie is so fun. I'm happy I found this site and discovered the world of the whistle. I knew nothing about them until I linked over from the Whistle-and-Drum web site a few weeks ago... Now, I want to change my screen name to Obie-wan........ I hope I can do it! (is this possible?).

Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Parcour25
Now, I want to change my screen name to Obie-wan........ I hope I can do it! (is this possible?).
It's possible. Just email rich. If I were you I'd keep Parcour25 though.
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

thx cb for the voc on my ndp.

I'll keep it!

Cheers, Obie.

knorris908

Post by knorris908 »

Dear Parcour25,

Please post a song, or two showcasing your new "Low-D Love" in the "Clips -n Snips" section soon. I'd love to hear it myself.

And congratulations on the happy arrival!

Sincerely,

Kenneth
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

You asked if this is how they are supposed to sound. I don't think so. I have many different Burkes, but I don't have a Burke low D. I didn't like the tone of the Al Pro (to spread out), and the composite low D took too much air for my liking. However, I do have a Burke low Eb composite which I think plays about as perfectly as a low whistle can play. I still haven't found the perfect low D. (I have an O'Riordan, but it is too weak in the lower register)

JP
lixnaw

Re: Obie-wan-Clarinobie

Post by lixnaw »

Parcour25 wrote: Sorry. Please don't cast any bad spirits towards me. I have enough demons that I'm wrestling with already.
't was mountain lion, but that's history.
luckely i don't have any experience with demons or black magic. but i know that if i ever came across one, i just stay out of it's energie and ignore it, but don't be afraid either.
people who practice this don't know that they'll get that bad energie back on them multiplied.

white owl is just trying to help people without expecting anything back, and without forcing help on to someone.
those rewards usually come in unexpected ways.

we all have some little demons every now and again and that why we're only humans. but we get rid of them if we think possitive!

it's best to think possitive :)
Pan

Post by Pan »

"Obie-wan-Clarinobie "

:P

/Peter