bronze reg reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

bronze reg reeds

Post by tommykleen »

All,

I have been making bronze reg reeds lately with fairly good results. However, they are a bit brazen and wonky, and a bit too variable in pitch for my complete satisfaction. Is there a way to adjust this type of reed?

t
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

Is this a bronze staple, or an actual bronze blade to the reed? That would be extremely interesting.
Marc
djm

Post by djm »

I had some metal reeds on my regs at first, too, and they were pretty stable for a while. Then they went south and I don't know why. I'm back to regular cane reeds in my regs. If yours are wonky, it may be that they're too thin. Or it may be they learned the same bad habits that mine did, and have to be put down humanely.

djm
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

bronze reg reeds

Post by tommykleen »

The blades are phosphore (sp?) bronze. The staple is copper...more narrow than most chanter/reg reed staples. I have gotten advice that the harder you burnish the blades, the harder the metal becomes. Softer blades may account for the pitch fluctuations.

t
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

WOW! I'd love to see one. As to burnishing, the metal may become harder but it will also become work hardened(more springy) and possibly more brittle. This hardening may also want to "bounce" apart from itself at the point where the blades meet, causing air leaks or wonky tone. If you know someone who has a jewelers rolling mill, they may be able to roll bronze or fine silver down paper thin for you. This is very interesting, and if you can p.m. me plans or post a few pics, I'd really like to see it.
Marc
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

I have bronze reg reeds in my Gallagher "D" set ( bronze blades, copper, or brass staple) and they sound fantastic!! Seth has some info on his webpage about bronze reeds..maybe this will help you out T..
tommykleen

bronze reg reeds

Post by tommykleen »

...I could not find anything on Seth's site about bronze reg reeds. The info I got was from the article in The Pipers' Review by David Quinn. I also sat in with Seth at a tionol and was given a few pointers.

t
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

Ok..sorry about that. Good luck!!
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

This is the bass regulator reed from my Gallagher C set. I acquired the set secondhand, so I don't know if this reed was made by Seth.
Last edited by Chadd on Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glands

Post by glands »

Interesting how functionality is realted to form.....reeds still seem to have to look like reeds regardless of what they are constructed.
No E

Bronze reg reeds

Post by No E »

You might try a couple of wraps of telflon tape below the bridle, it seems to help the reeds to settle down. I have bronze reg reeds in the Gallagher D set (made by Seth) that I've been very happy with.

-Larry Dunn
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Chadd wrote:This is the bass drone reed from my Gallagher C set.
Don't you mean "bass regulator reed"?
David Quinn wrote about metal regulator reeds in the Pipers' Review. The advantages were said to be stability and softness of tone. Patsy Browne was said to have made reeds from razor blade steel, when he worked at the Gillette factory in Boston. Rogge and another German piper, Rolf Kunzel, have made reeds out of steel Coke cans. Nutty!
Myself, I just adapt chanter reeds that didn't happen. Maybe cut the staple a little shorter, or put some in some brass foil to shrink the staple volume. Reg and drone reeds are simple enough to keep working (I've been using the same ones for years); its these consarned chanter reeds that have to be just right to do their stuff sometimes.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Don't you mean "bass regulator reed"?
That is exactly what I meant. Sorry about that. The offending characters have been sacked.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Sorry about that. The people responsible for the people who provided the offending characters have been sacked.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

We apologize. The directors of the firm hired to continue this thread after the people responsible for the people who provided the offending characters had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked.