OMG flutes, and pieces of advice 2005....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well I have to say that my last post is not for sure. I have two Flutes which should be on their way to me in the next couple days. Either of those might be more of an OMG Flute than my Lejune.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I think the OMG flute was when I won my D'Almaine flute 6 key flute from Patrick Olwell for $666.00!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

OMG I can get decent sounds out of my MERR on a consistent basis! For the past week my tone has been a hell of a lot more stable then ever. Louder, crisper, reedier too. I had gotten to this point often on the past 8 months since I got the "musical billy club," but it's getting to be natural instead of forced. OMG, I may just stick with this flute for a long time and not "upgrade" as I had thought I would.

OMGI am dropping a monster amount of cash on my next flute! A Low A lefty siccamerized G-footed monstrosity that should arrive sometime over the summer. I'm sure it will generate another OMG moment. .. hopefully of one kind and not the others!

OMGI can play Gravel Walks decently and manage the jumps!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Over the last year, my first year of flute playing, I have been very lucky to have been able to play 9 differnt flutes, and have had an OMG reaction to all of them at different times, when I did my part!

There were: 2 Tipples-a dimpled bore, and a speckled, 2 standard poly M&Es, a Seery delrin, a Blackwood Copley, Bocote Cochran, Blackwood Burns, and now a Blackwood Hammy. Some were just passing through, and some sadly had to go to pay for other flutes, or bills, but every one was a great flute in it's own right. As I said before, if I did my part in playing. They were all capable of beautiful music.

I think we are very lucky that we have access to so many nice instruments today from so many different makers. We might not all be able to afford the original classics, but the choices we have from modern makers is kind of staggering, so I think we are blessed in that regard.

Right now, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Bocote Cochran Pratten Perfected from JonC. Wow! Nice flute, Jon!
~~~~
Barry
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

OMG boxwood Olwell Rudall! A few months back the other piper in my session brought this flute that he never plays to the session 'cause I asked him to, and let me try it. OMG! It was so amazing. At first I didn't really "get it," but after a little while it started to sing. I am so in love. And he never plays it! The poor, poor thing! He won't sell it to me either. I think he's saving it in case one of his very young sons ever wants to play it later. It's been on my mind ever since that night. I occasionally tell him, "you should sell me that Olwell," but he just laughs.

And OMG McGee blackwood something with smallish holes! I can't even remember exactly what kind style it was, I was so in shock about its power and resonance. It responded instantly, no adjustment of embouchure needed. Absolutely awesome flute. I definitely need to try some more McGees and figure out which kind I love, and get one.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well I had an oh my god moment this mourning at about 7 oclock when I got and email from Jon C telling me that my mopane Pratten was ready and he just happened to send a picture along. I can`t figure out how to show it here but oh my god. I had to wait for 2 hours for the post office to open so I could send him a money order. Bet I get it before the weekend. Maybe Jon could slap a picture of it up here. And hey I only bought one flute while I was waiting for this one. Thats got to be an oh my god moment in itself. :D

Take care

Tom
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

For me it would have to be this lovely Firth and Pond flute in mint condition, owned by Grey Larsen. Not a single blemish, embouchure nice and sharp and unaltered, and a great player. Its rare to find something from the mid 19th century in such perfect condition. I think Grey is trying to find a new home for this and I am tempted by this instrument! Casey

Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Blackbeer wrote:Well I had an oh my god moment this mourning at about 7 oclock when I got and email from Jon C telling me that my mopane Pratten was ready and he just happened to send a picture along. I can`t figure out how to show it here but oh my god. I had to wait for 2 hours for the post office to open so I could send him a money order. Bet I get it before the weekend. Maybe Jon could slap a picture of it up here. And hey I only bought one flute while I was waiting for this one. Thats got to be an oh my god moment in itself. :D

Take care

Tom
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

The two flutes I play still continue to amaze and inspire me. They are a keyless blackwood Chris Wilkes, a beautifully made and complex instrument made in 2001 and ordered together with another flute by a lady in the New York area. Amazingly the lady sold the flute to the gentleman who was to later sell the flute to me in November/December 2003. I often wonder how they could have parted with such an instrument. The second flute, also a beautifully made and complex instrument was made by Dave Williams in 1982. I just had it lying around unused for nigh on 20 years, never learned to play it properly, or get a decent sound out of it until after I got the Wilkes. Two Oh my Buddah flutes indeed

Check out Harold Pinters nobel prize speech
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Casey Burns wrote:For me it would have to be this lovely Firth and Pond flute in mint condition, owned by Grey Larsen. Not a single blemish, embouchure nice and sharp and unaltered, and a great player. Its rare to find something from the mid 19th century in such perfect condition. I think Grey is trying to find a new home for this and I am tempted by this instrument! Casey

(image)
OMG!
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I've been thinking about this question for a couple of days. Back in September I got a beautiful keyless Bryan Byrne flute. I just love playing this medium-holed flute! It has a rich, woody tone that I just adore. It's not the loudest flute, but that's what I asked for when he made it. I wanted nuance rather than great volume. Still, it IS capable of good volume. When I'm "on," which isn't always, the sound reminds me of a laser beam--focused and clear. I think this flute keeps me from being lazy! I just love it.

Byrne says NOT to oil his flutes. I haven't, but I'm starting to get nervous now in the winter. I don't want anything to happen to it!

Jeanie
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I get to have these experiences all the time (I love my job). :)

I had a McGee Pratten with a rounded rectangle embouchure in Cooktown ironwood come through the store this year. It was only here about a day before somebody snapped it up. If it had been here a day and a half no one would have gotten it out of here for love or money.

I have daily delight in the two best flutes in the world....

my Casey Burns Rudall in boxwood and my Terry McGee GLP 2 semi-circle in mopane,

also my Reyburn low-D whistle but that's another forum. :wink:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dana

Re: OMG flutes, and pieces of advice 2005....

Post by Dana »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: Here is my OMG short list:
Gallagher Rudall style flute, keyless, D.
Beautiful in every way, needed to grow on me.
Mary
Hmmph. I want it back. :swear: :cry:
onkel

Post by onkel »

Two OMG experiences this year:

One experience was at a workshop where a few people had recently made plumwood flutes by pipemaker Andreas Rogge. These flutes did rock! They had a certain buzz and resonance and they weren't like anything I had tried before. I would not be able to categorize them into the patterns we know (R&R vs. Pratten, etc.). They were dangerous animals anyway. Sorry, no pictures. I wonder what plumwood instruments will be like after years of playing re: shrinkage, cracks... Unfortunately, Andreas is not taking orders for flutes anymore for he's so busy with his growing u-pipes waiting list.

The other experience was meeting Breton flute maker Pol Jezequel at various occasions across Europe. Pol had spent the last years investigating and trying various designs. Just like Andreas' flutes, his flutes are quite different in terms of sound and playability. His embouchure design is very unique. Very rich sound, easy to fill, but it can also handle a strong blast of wind, showing its full potential when blown with focus and power. The opposite edge of the embouchure hole is almost v-shaped (or rather ^), maybe that's what makes the difference. Pol's craftmanship regarding keywork and finishing is on par with the top makers I'd say. And like many fine instrument makers, he's not a computer geek, he does not have a webpage nor decent photos. He sent me a PDF showing a few blurred pics a few weeks ago of which I'm sure he would not mind me publish it here... It'll give you an idea anyway. If he had only removed the plumpers tape before taking the photos ;-)
His waiting list is still short. So better be quick :D I'd love to get a flute of his, but that would mean I'd have to sell my wonderful Aebi, which would be a foolish thing to do. You'll find Pol's contact information on Brad Hurley's site. And tell him, the tall weird-o from Germany sent ye... No, I'm not getting commission...unfortunately...
Oh, and Pol is also a very nice player, I had a few lovely sessions with him. I bet we'll hear more about him and his flutes in the future.

Claus
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

That is an interesting embouchure cut.
The plumwood looks fabulous; thanks for posting those pics.