Favourite recordings of slow airs.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bittafchiff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Favourite recordings of slow airs.

Post by bittafchiff »

I'd love to hear whistlers' choices of their favourite slow air recordings - and in particular on Low whistles.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Eoin Duignan's Dance of the Gypsy Queen. That one tune is why I play today.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
bittafchiff

Slow air recordings

Post by bittafchiff »

Thanks Blackhawk. Now, I'm amazed! I thought whistlers would be falling over themselves to be the first to tell me about their favourite recording of a slow air. What does this mean?
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I can't say that I've got that many actual recordings of low whistle to choose from (!),apart from Joe McKenna's 'Low whistle'album.
A slow air, played on soprano whistle, that does come to mind though is 'Liam 0'Raghalliagh',from Mary Bergin's 'Feadoga Stain' album.
This recording struck me, at first,as being unusual in being played on a SOPRANO 'F' whistle -Now I tend to gravitate towards lower whistles for slow tunes-Mary does the exact opposite here-and it works! The high whistle actually adds a plaintive quality to the tune.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
blackhawk

Re: Slow air recordings

Post by blackhawk »

bittafchiff wrote:Thanks Blackhawk. Now, I'm amazed! I thought whistlers would be falling over themselves to be the first to tell me about their favourite recording of a slow air. What does this mean?
You're very welcome, Bittafchiff. One reason you didn't get many responses may be that we did this recently. Check here, my friend:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... +slow+airs

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

My favorite slow air recording is the one I did with Mick Woodruff last year. ;)
Of course that opinion is heavily biased, but almost everyone who has heard it has loved it too.
Here's the URL if you'd like to have a listen... click 'play' instead of 'download'.
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=180732&T=7211
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The first two aren't airs (I'm not sure about the third), and the second is primarily on fiddle, the third on whistle:

The Fairy Queen, an O'Carolan tune, done by Chris Norman on "The man with the wooden flute. " Quite possibly the best playing of an Irish tune I've ever heard, and often brings tears to my eyes, it's so beautiful. It's followed by a rousing version of Hugh O'Donnell. I've slowed both of them down, and I still don't know how he does what he does. The album is full of beautiful flute-playing in many different styles.

The Waltz of the Lilies, written by Katie O'Brien, on Deanta's third album, "Whisper of a secret." It's a gorgeous waltz, made even more beautiful knowing that Katie wrote it for her own wedding. Deirdre Havlin on flute.

Another beautiful one, played on a Thin Weasel boxwood (I think), is Wild Geese, a traditional Irish tune, on The Baltimore Consort's album "The mad buckgoat." Another played by Chris Norman -- the guy is soooo amazing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Chris Norman is extraordinary...

So is Gary.
Baen

Post by Baen »

Thank you, Blackhawk, for all the links you provided for the slow airs, laments and ballads of the past posts. I saved them all to peruse at my leisure, thanks to you!!

best wishes,
Baen
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Favourite recordings of slow airs.

Post by kkrell »

bittafchiff wrote:I'd love to hear whistlers' choices of their favourite slow air recordings - and in particular on Low whistles.
Currently listening to: "Bhuitis" by Brian Duke, flute & Tim Murray, guitar on Cian's CD "Three Shouts From a Hill" - awesome.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Baen wrote:Thank you, Blackhawk, for all the links you provided for the slow airs, laments and ballads of the past posts. I saved them all to peruse at my leisure, thanks to you!!

best wishes,
Baen
My pleasure, Baen! Glad to be of help. This is one of my favorite subjects as well, so I knew right where to go for the links.

--Plato
TomB

Re: Favourite recordings of slow airs.

Post by TomB »

[quote="kkrellCurrently listening to: "Bhuitis" by Brian Duke, flute & Tim Murray, guitar on Cian's CD "Three Shouts From a Hill" - awesome.

Kevin Krell[/quote]

I would have to agree. I really like the CD, and the song is really excellent.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

raindog1970 wrote:My favorite slow air recording is the one I did with Mick Woodruff last year. ;)
Of course that opinion is heavily biased, but almost everyone who has heard it has loved it too.
Here's the URL if you'd like to have a listen... click 'play' instead of 'download'.
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=180732&T=7211
You've got my vote, too. I love your arrangement/recording of this tune.
bob baksi

Post by bob baksi »

And also previously canvassed here:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I like playing fast tunes on the low whistle...