Make your own Reeds?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MacEachain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Make your own Reeds?

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Folks,
just curious, how many of you make your own reeds I'm thinking chanter here. Would you be confident enough to make a good working reed and if so did you work to a method suggested by your pipemaker or did you use one of the many methods available from e.g. SWAUP, NPU, Evertjan t'Hart etc?

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

For my Hillmann D chanter, I basically use the method taught by Benedict Koehler as of 1996.

Reedmaking Notes from Benedict Koehler's Class in Elkins 1996

For my Nick Whitmer D chanter and my Seth Gallagher C chanter , I use The guide at SETH'S REED MAKING WORKSHOP
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I started making brass/cane drone reeds about 6 years ago, then double reeds a bit later. Only until about the last year or so have I been able to constistently make reeds that don't look like they've been chewed on. I use a mishmash of techniques to make reeds; some things I thought up on my own, such as wrapping sandpaper around a ruler to sand the lips, or using a smaller gouge to make the bed in the tails for the staple. If you're going to get just one book I'd buy the Dave Hegarty, it has a wide variety of approaches to all kinds of reeds, and a wide variety of information.