Trip to Durrow - setting

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
omarapiping

Trip to Durrow - setting

Post by omarapiping »

Short one here,

2 part of above said tune, 16 bars played twice?

I only have one recored version, Paddy Moloney on Drone and Chanters and one notated version.

So format is part 1 8 bars twice and part 2 16 bars twice?

Thanks,
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Trip to Durrow - setting

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Tommy Reck gave Beandán Breathnach The Trip to Durrow. It was a two part reel and as an afterthought he played an alternative second part for Breandán, who included it in Ceol Rinnce na hEirreann vol 1 as a third part. The tune from there caught on as a three part tune. At some point the second and third part started to get repeated as one, I don't know why and who started it (I first heard this done on Noel Hill's recording and never took to it to be honest).
My brain hurts

Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELmgNk1oDw

Dermot McLaughlin, Paddy Moloney, Paddy Keenan, Conall O'Grada - Trip to Durrow, Five Mile Chase

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Mr. Gumby, Tommy Reck plays it that way (as the B part being both the B and C, once through), on the recordings I have of him. When did he start doing it?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I heard Breandán give that account on a number of occasions. I think. I am wondering now if my memory is playing tricks on me as the comments in CRE1 say:
127. An Turas go Darmhagh [The Trip to Durrow]: The third part is an alternative version of the first part which John Potts heard from some flute player.

On the other hand, Tommy Reck also learned from John Potts so he may have been the one to hand it on to Breandán and my memory may yet be functioning.

When TR started his three part version I don't know and why the two parts are repeated as one I don't know. Maybe just a quirk, Tom Ennis and James Morrison played Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel and Trim the Velvet as one long tune repeated and I have seen a few people copy that as well (Joe Shannon kept that one for example). When Planxty recorded one of Junior Crehan's tunes for 'Timedance' with half a bar short (or was it extra?) many people, people who should have know better, copied that too, even if Junior didn't play the tune that way. Then after a while everybody starts thinking that's the way it should be done. May well have happened with the Trip to Durrow.
My brain hurts

kenr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenr »

The recent Sean Ryan CD says the tune was composed by Dan Cleary. Sean Ryan was recorded playing the three parts in a conventional order in 1960, having reportedly picked it up at a fleadh in Birr earlier that year.

The recording pre-dates the publication of CRE, although CRE 1 doesn't give recording dates.

Ken
omarapiping

Post by omarapiping »

Thanks people,

I have utubed the links (thanks for those) and it appears I have been on the right track.

So the 2nd part was orginally 2 options, became fused and stuck? Worked out well I think. Good decision on the responsible parties behalf.

Here is another link I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmoLA9J4 ... re=related

Cheers,

Liam
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In addition: The Rowsome collection gives a two part version of 2x8bars repeated.

The Fiddler's Companion wrote:TRIP TO DURROW, THE (An Turas go Darmhagh). Irish, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning. AA'B (Carlin): AABB (Mallinson, Songer, Taylor); ABC (Breathnach). “Trip to Durrow” has been attributed to Irish fiddler Dan Cleary (1918-2004), of Ballinamere, County Offaly. Cleary played a number of instruments, including the uilleann pipes, piano and tin whistle, and was a member of a number of céili bands in the mid-20th century, notably the Ballinamere Céili Band, which won All-Ireland titles in the mid-1950’s. “Trip to Durrow” may stem from Cleary’s days as a young man with the Colmcille Céili Band, of Durrow, Co. Offaly, who played regularly in the Forresters Hall in Tullamore (see Treoir, vol. 38, No. 2, 2006, pgs. 37-38). The arrangement in Carlin's collection, by Leo Rowsome, differs from that in Taylor's by being more regular (the length of the 'A' and 'B' parts is the same with the 'A' repeated). Taylor (1992) makes the point that his version of "The Trip to Durrow" is unusual in the length of the second part (16 bars, repeated); perhaps unique in Irish music along with the possible inclusion of "Ballinasloe Fair" which also boasts a long second part, though it is altogether half the length of "The Trip to Durrow.” He thinks the tune may have originally been a three-part melody. Breathnach (1996) says the three part version, either AABBCC or AABCBC depending on the locale, has its source in his Ceol Rince na h-Éireann collection. He remarks that the last part was to illustrate a variant of the ‘A’ part, or how another musician had played the strain, but that a footnote explaining the structure was omitted from the volume. Source for notated version: Randal Bays & Joel Bernstein (Seattle, Washington) [Songer]; piper Seán Potts (Ireland) [Breathnach]. Breathnach (CRÉ I), 1963; No. 127, pg. 52. Bulmer & Sharpley (Music from Ireland), 1974, vol. 1, No. 27 Carlin (Master Collection), 1984; No. 194, pg. 116. Mallinson (Essential), 1995; No. 15, pg. 6. Songer (Portland Collection), 1997; pg. 200. Taylor (Through the Half-Door), 1992; No. 36, pg. 26. Taylor (Music for the Sets: Blue Book), 1995; pg. 13. GTD Heritage Trad. HCD 008, Tommy Peoples - "Traditional Irish Music Played on the Fiddle." Shaskeen - "Shaskeen Live." New England Tradition - “New England Tradition.”

X:1

T:Trip to Durrow, The

R:reel

B:Jim Coogan's Session Tunes

Z:Music: Jean Lewis

Z:abc's: Michael Hogan

M:C|

L:1/8

K:D

FE|:D3 F ADFA | defd B3 c | dBBA dBBA | FADE FE E2 |

D3 F ADFA | defd B3 c | dBBA FAdB | AFEG FD D2 :|

|:d3 e f3 g | afdf gfed | cdef gebe | (3gfe be gf e2 |