Earliest motion picture of uilleann piper? Edison 1906

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Earliest motion picture of uilleann piper? Edison 1906

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's a film titled Kathleen Mavourneen. It was shot in New York in 1906. The piper featured is Sean Dempsey.
There's a whole stack of films made from the same play. The one with Dempsey (see the part I quoted a few posts earlier) is a different and much later one.
My brain hurts

m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Should have made clear - the quote was from uilleannobsession.com, linking "1906" and "Sean Dempsey" - incorrectly.
M
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I wonder was James Touhey (Patsy's cousin) a left handed piper too?

He lived in New Jersey then...

It's hard to imagine the piper in the footage not being Touhey. The regulator style doesn't match any of his recordings but that really doesn't matter. A lot of pipers/musicians are that little bit more sedate in recording settings, especially in the days when you had one chance to record well. So they might be a bit more flamboyant in a live situation.

Tommy

By the way, Mike Carney would have been too young in 1906, if he was born yet.
Also, it's hard to tell with the reflection of the light in the pipes, but are the regulators in a right handed configuration? It kinda seems like the inner most regulator is the longest one?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

tompipes wrote: Also, it's hard to tell with the reflection of the light in the pipes, but are the regulators in a right handed configuration? It kinda seems like the inner most regulator is the longest one?
Double bass reg?
PJ
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

I tried to zoom in, but the results didn't come out very well. The best chance of seeing his face is right at the beginnning. I gave it a shot....It's closer but not clearer.
https://youtu.be/Degy5AwK-oU?t=4
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: the footage we know of, for example: Billy Andrews, James Ennis (1928), or R.O' Mealy (1938) and obviously Leo Rowsome (1959)
The James Ennis having no sound, is the O Mealy our earliest "talkie" where we can hear the piper?

The O Mealy thing is wonderful, his regs going great.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

So, who is the piper? I have been thinking a lot about this. What follows are some facts and alleged facts. My own assessments are guesses. Good guesses, perhaps, but that's all. I'd be happy to see more data that support or confirm the piper's identity.

The movie was supposedly filmed in New York City in May-June 1906.

The piper is playing in a left-handed configuration. Looking at the dancers, women on the right in a promenade, and couples swinging clockwise: that’s the usual way, so I don’t think the image is reversed. To this point I have identified 8 pipers from that era who played left handed. There were more out there. There are also several pipers with show-business experience who may have been left or right-handed; they too might be candidates.

Three candidates seem most likely, given the evidence I know of: Pat Touhey, James Touhey and Michael Carney. I made lists of other potential candidates but for most there is very little data. Or it could be someone not on the lists: unknown to me or just passing through.

Pat "Patsy" Touhey. Born 1865, was 41 years in 1906. Lived in the Bronx in 1906, not far from the Edison movie studios. Up till 1906 P Touhey had been in several plays, a couple on Broadway, performing in scenes exactly like this: the celebratory village dance, after the plot had been resolved.  He was well-known and had entertainment industry connections.  Touhey had a gig in Trenton, New Jersey May 5, 1906. The next known gig after that was in Rhode Island, July 21, 1906 (BTW, this is the earliest gig I have found which mentions Mary Touhey and Pat together. If Touhey is the movie piper, then there is a tantalizing possibility that Mary might be among the dancers). I have heard least one anecdotal account of him moving about a lot when playing. Circumstantial evidence indicates that he is the best candidate. But I do not like what I see. To my eye he does not resemble the movie piper. The set of pipes in the movie is bigger than the set seen in photos of Touhey.

Pat Touhey at the St. Louis World's Fair, 1904. From uilleannobsession.com website, courtesy Tommy Martin of Dublin via St. Louis.

James Touhey. Born about 1870 (perhaps earlier), was about 36 years in 1906. Lived in Jersey City, NJ at the time. Like Pat Touhey, he had extensive stage and performance experience, also appearing in plays with dance scenes. I have found no references to him between Nov. 1905 and March 1907. Circumstantial evidence is scant. And there seems little resemblance between the movie piper and the photo of Touhey, published in 1899 and taken who knows when.

Montreal QE Canada The True Witness and Catholic Chronicle April 8, 1899 p. 11 column 1

Michael Carney. Born about 1877, was about 29 years old in 1906. Emigrated to the US about 1903. As far as is known, lived in Brooklyn in 1906. His obituary indicates that he became paralyzed in the legs about 1909. The earliest public performance that I have found for him was in March, 1914. Anecdotal evidence exists that in his later years Carney did not play regs much, if at all. Circumstantial evidence indicates that he is a longshot to be in the movie. But to my eye he most closely resembles the movie piper. He was also photographed with a big old set which looks like the one in the movie.

"This card is part of the Tom Busby Collection of photographs, kindly donated by Tom to Na Piobairi Uilleann."

Enjoy!
Nick Whitmer