FS - New Cygnet D flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kjell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a beginning whistler.
Great forum, by the way!
Not much more to say but i am a human looking forward to playing irish music, is this enough?

FS - New Cygnet D flute

Post by Kjell »

I bought a New cygnet flute 2 months ago but found I could not comfortably play it with my arthritic hands, so have switched to the
whistle.

It is a Cygnet (Rosewood) flute see - http://irishmusik.com/the-cygnet-rosewood-flute/ for details

Asking $175 and I will ship UPS ground in the US.

I will also include cork grease and a swab.
Kjell
Great forum, by the way!
Not much more to say but i am a human looking forward to playing irish music, is this enough?

Re: FS - New Cygnet D flute

Post by Kjell »

my email is nelin(at)njit.edu

Thanks,

Kjell
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

That sure looks like it's a pakistani made flute.
Kjell
Great forum, by the way!

Post by Kjell »

You are right here's what the seller states on the amazon page (I bought on amazon it shipped from Ireland) -

"Yes the flute is made for us by a company in Pakistan.It is made to our specifications using our reamer .When it arrives in Dublin we cork and tune the flute making it very easy to play . This is why we call it the cygnet to differentiate from other flutes made by myriad of Pakistani company."
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

When it arrives in Dublin we cork and tune the flute making it very easy to play .
That's true. I know the instrument maker that does the work. He re-voices the embouchure and drills and undercuts the tone holes.
It's kind of like what the 19th century flute makers did. Clementi, Metzler, Wylde, etc. made almost finished flutes in bulk for other sellers and then they would finish them up for their own stores.

A Wallis sold recently online for about $600 which was probably made by Wylde which would usually sell for over double.

Tommy
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100445&start=0

I think this is the same type of flute I mentioned in this thread.
It really does play 'ok'
TWO TOOTS

Post by TWO TOOTS »

I've had two flutes made Pakistan through my hands over the last few years. The first was an R.& R. sort of copy with an integral foot, which was simply diabolical. The second was a Pratten based instrument for a little more money ( about £90. at the time ) and I was pleasantly surprised by this one - it could actually play. Had this one been refinished it would have made a fairly decent flute. If people in Dublin are re-voicing/refinishing flutes like this, more power to their elbow I say. The alternative is seeing some of this perfectly good hardwood timber ultimately going to waste. I've often mention in earlier threads on this forum that if some of these workshops/factories in this country got outside expertise ( they obviously need it ) to advise and help them with their finishing, they would simply be world beaters in the beginners range.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Cheaper workable options are a great way to start. It's like a gateway drug for the nicer blackwood flutes.

The only thing is that some of the cheaper Pakistani options aren't good instruments and can have a discouraging influence on beginners. They can create the 'is it me or the flute' complex.

The Cygnet flutes aren't bad at all and still cheaper than the best value Delrin flutes (which are great too).

They'll get you hooked enough to go to the next level :D

Tommy
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

This is a cool option...Rod Cameron used to do the same thing.
Kjell
Great forum, by the way!

Flute SOLD

Post by Kjell »

Thanks for all the comments, I've learned a lot!

Now sold.