Share your session stories

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Share your session stories

Post by gorjuswrex »

I tried a search for 'session' but found it is not possible to search the forums for session as it is too common a word.

I would love to hear funny or strange stories and experiences from sessions. Interesting characters you have seen or met. General observations on the various types of sessions and the people therein. As my search failed if anyone knows of this type of thing already I would appreciate a link to it.

Here is one to start from myself. The session was a try before you ‘buy’ for the club concerned. Not buy really as no payment was needed other than hopefully some hospitality for the musicians. It was a club here in England with an Irish family running it and a fairly mixed group of people frequenting it. Some were great mixers and some were just mixed. Not a very ‘up market’ club, more of a charter establishment with some more discerning class of drinkers.

Most of the people seemed to be enjoying the music and fun and it was going pretty well. One man who was standing at the bar was not. While I was up there I heard him moaning about the music using words that were stronger than the drink. He was the type who did not like ‘new’ people coming into his club. He put on the juke box to try to drown out the session music which was so annoying to him. A lot of the other regulars in the club complained to him and moaned and shouted to him. Some of them came over to the players and said your man was a miserable trouble maker. He was now staring me out while standing with his back to the bar. His angry glaring eyes were fixed on me, challenging me. One of the regulars, Billy, was a good friend. A great fun loving, harmless drinker, as long as he stayed off black Russians. He was a reformed character having previously ‘done time’ in famous prisons. Detained for her Majesty’s pleasure as the authorities say here. I can't really see dear old Liz out for a bevy with Billy though, ones jokes do not amuse. I know he had been in gangs when he was young but I knew nothing of the details. He had a reputation but I knew him to be to be fine. I am not at all violent but said to Billy that I would lump the juke box lover. Billy said don’t get silly. “Now just get everyone to sing along with the songs, everyone including those who don’t or even can’t sing, now is there chance’. So all the musicians joined in, singing like expert bodhran players or fiddlers with greasy bows. Within a few minutes your man looked even more miserable, finished his drink and walked out and we were left to get on with life with peace and goodwill.
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Sun May 27, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Share your session stories

Post by benhall.1 »

I had a similar experience the other night at a session that has been going for many years. This regular in the pub kicked off at the end of the evening. He was very threatening. We got out without violence, but only just. Sadly, I can't go to the next one, this week (it's fortnightly). I feel bad about that, because the evening was left on a sour, and deeply threatening, note, and I would like to support the other guys in the session by at least turning up. But, rarely, I have something else on that night.

I think the music we love is becoming more and more unpopular here in the UK. People in general seem to just hate it. It's decidedly getting worse. These things are happening all over the place.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Our musics are a niche market I will admit, but I have never had any experiences like what you describe. The punters in the bar are more likely to come up and ask for the Titanic tune :lol: :lol: or do riverdance impersonations.

As for strange session stories, one session I was at, had a some African dancers come in to the pub so we started jamming with them while they danced. They were really getting into it good style when the floorboards gave way. Nobody was hurt, and after everybody had stopped laughing (including the pub owner) we moved to a different part of the pub and got going again. (BTW the floor was replaced before the next session).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Were the African dancers break dancing? The dancers took the floor, I'm sure you had loads of stupid puns like this
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

benhall.1 wrote:.

I think the music we love is becoming more and more unpopular here in the UK. People in general seem to just hate it. It's decidedly getting worse. These things are happening all over the place.
I'm peased to say that has not been my general impression of things. I agree it is a minority music but then other than maybe middle of the road pop most music is to some degree. Mostly there are a large number, the majority, who don't like it, but they generally tolerate it here. It's not surpising I think, the same can be said of most music. There are lots of young players who are really into it and into folk dancing etc. Folk festivals are still very well attended.

The band I play in did a wedding gig where a 14 year old gave a great break dance display on the the floor to our reels and said he loved the music though he had never heard anything like it before.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

gorjuswrex wrote:

I'm peased to say that has not been my general impression of things. I agree it is a minority music but then other than maybe middle of the road pop most music is to some degree. Mostly there are a large number, the majority, who don't like it, but they generally tolerate it here. It's not surpising I think, the same can be said of most music. There are lots of young players who are really into it and into folk dancing etc. Folk festivals are still very well attended.

The band I play in did a wedding gig where a 14 year old gave a great break dance display on the the floor to our reels and said he loved the music though he had never heard anything like it before.
That's great. I'm pleased to hear it. Maybe it's just round here. Even places where it used to be "tolerated" (it's never been more than that) are getting just plain hostile to the music. It doesn't have words, and it doesn't sound exactly like something that you'd get on X Factor or the like.

There are a very few people who, despite not being connected with the music, still seem to like it, but they're in the tiny minority. Perhaps I should move house ...
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

gorjuswrex wrote:

I'm peased to say that has not been my general impression of things.
Nor mine (although the sessions around here are predominantly, although not exclusively, English in musical style, if that makes any difference ). They seem to be thriving. At a couple I go to regularly people come especially to listen to the music (gluttons for punishment some people :D ) and at my local there are definitely faces on a session night that are not there other nights when it isn't on. New sessions are springing up with a new on in Oxford and a French one here in Wantage about to start.

I've no stories of aggro although at a recent session out in one of the villages one Irish chap got so morose that all he could do was bawl his eyes out and clap loudly after every tune shouting 'Beautiful, beautiful' and then blubber some more in to his hankie. He was a bit 'tired and emotional' and propably had the mother of all hangovers the next morning. :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nothing threatening around where I live; management wouldn't tolerate it anyway, if it was overt. If ever there are begrudgers, we're more likely to laugh at them for their trouble, tit being rightly for tat.

I guess my main beef is with those folks who come in and ask why we don't play any Old Time and/or Bluegrass. Well, first of all it's none of their business, but since they already don't get that, instead I ask them if they go to Old Time and/or Bluegrass sessions. The answer, perhaps not so curiously, is always "Yes". Then I point out that there are a lot more Old Time and/or Bluegrass sessions around town, far more than Irish, aren't there. The answer is also, of course, "Yes". Then I ask if people play Irish music (not just tunes) at Old Time and/or Bluegrass sessions. The answer of course is, "No." Then I ask do they dislike Irish music, and of course they protest, "Not at all." Then usually I look at them and say something like, "I don't see a problem here," and leave it at that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya put more faith in their ability to count on their fingers than I would
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:ya put more faith in their ability to count on their fingers than I would
Be that as it may, it's better HR than giving 'em a cuff on the noggin and telling 'em to &#$% off. And it's no loss with the ones who've had a few - it's even more disorienting for them when you force them out of their twirlies for a moment this way, because when you let go, they spin all the harder. It's fun to watch them wobble away cod-eyed.

Maybe it's not WJWD, but hey: it's a session. The craic must be upheld. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

This is an interesting discussion. I'm rather surprised by the tensions present in the original land where this music came from. I mean, I understand not playing "Come Out and Fight" in Northern Ireland and avoiding "The Haughs of Cromdale" in England, but I wouldn't have guessed it was a matter of declining taste and not political tension. Stateside people seem to really like Celtic music, especially younger types. Most people I know would jump at the chance to hear some good Celtic tunes, mainly because unless you're actively looking for it, it's not too common at least where I've been.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That may well be a big part of it. Here in the States it's usually just one cultural artifact out of many, rather than a charged potential source of national antagonisms. OTOH, Ben hasn't clarified that old tensions have anything to do with it.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Ben hasn't clarified that old tensions have anything to do with it.
That's what surprised me. I guess there's no accounting for taste...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
Ben hasn't clarified that old tensions have anything to do with it.
That's what surprised me. I guess there's no accounting for taste...
Some people are just philistines, and maybe they're simply getting uglier, is all. Could be their shoes are too tight. Could be they don't like to see others having fun, or are jealous of those who can play music.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I think it's simply a case of ignorance. People think that "music" means the processed pap (with words and screechy voices) that passes for pop nowadays. Anything else offends their 'sensibilities'. And, honest to God, they're getting more vocal, and even more physical about it. The session 10 days ago simply closed early because our music was, apparently "f***ng sh1t" and we were disturbing their darts match. And this was even though we were in a different room and they had a jukebox on in theirs.

The main culprit then waited outside the pub (where the landlord couldn't see what he was doing) and followed me down the road to my car when I left. I got away because I got in the car quickly and drove off. But this sort of event is becoming fairly common round here. All you lucky guys where it doesn't happen. Like I say, I should probably move house.

Of course, there's always the possibility that my playing, and that of my friends, really is so bad that it deserves this kind of treatment.