Vincent Broderick

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi, I was starting to work on a tune called "The Haunted House" which I just found out is a more recent tune composed by Vincent Broderick.

I don't really know anything about Vincent Broderick, but are his tunes considered "traditional"?

I'm not trying to start a big "discussion" about what is/isn't traditional, but I don't want to spend the time learning it only to have people raise their eyebrows at me if I suggest it at a session. :smile:

Thanks for any info!

-Brett
Tom_Gaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Brett, I have a book called "Traditional Irish Flute Solos" composed by Vincent Broderick. All I can really do is copy the description on the back of the book, which is as follows:
All Ireland Champion and Oireachas winner, Vincent Broderick is one of the greats of Irish traditional music - along with his friends and fellow-musicians Willie Clancy, Leo Rowsome and Kathleen Harrington. His name established by legendary, 'round-the-clock sessions at the Pipers' Club and the '50s Fleadhs, he is famous as well for the variety and invention of his own compositions, now central to the repertoire of many traditional musicians.

Hope this is of some help.

Best wishes, Tom
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

He's a fluteplayer from East Galway, there's another book of his compositions called the Turoe stone.
The Haunted House is probably one of his most playable ones. Others fairly popular are The Tinker's Daughter and The Coachmans Whip. You also hear The Flagstone of Memories [not the Flagstaff as mentioned somewhere here recently], The Fox on the Prowl[recorded by Chris Droney] sometimes.

Tunes that are played and accepted by the musical community would be considered traditional, they go through the process of playing, change and acceptance and enter the body of traditional tunes. You'll find quite a lot of tunes you play are fairly recent compositions, new tunes are added all the time.

[edited for typos]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2003-01-05 05:45 ]</font>
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Thanks Tom and Peter! :smile:
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

Or, as I heard from some guy at a session last year..."Flagstones of Memory", and just after the guy next to him laughed and said, 'yep, how about you put another Flagstone of Memory in that machine, maybe it'll work decent... haha

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lawhistle on 2003-01-05 13:39 ]</font>
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

CCE had a tape of Vincent Broderick called the Turoe Stone, which is a subset of the tunes in the book by the same name. A lovely tape. It has the following tracks.

1 Reels: The Milky Way, The Night of the Big Wind

2 Jigs: The Haunted House,* The Banshee's Wail

3 Polkas: The Loughrea Polka, The Enchanted Lake

4 Planxty: Aisling O'Neill

5 Reels: Ring around the Moon, The Old Wooden Bridge, The Fox on the Prowl*

6 Jigs: The Plasterer's Dream, The Turoe Stone

7 Reels: The Coachman's Whip, The Flagstone of Memories*

8 Jigs: The Old Station House, The White Stone

Side 2
1 Reels: The Rookery,* The Old Woman From the Glen

2 Reels: The Rainbow's End, The Crock of Gold*

3 Jigs: The Whistler at the Wake, The Old Flail

4 Barn Dances: Around the Fairy Fort*, The New Broom

5 Reels: The Tinker's Daughter, Midsummer Night*

6 Jigs: The Pooka's Bush, The Spider's Web

7 Hornpipes: The Wind Through The Rafters,* The Tattie Hokers

8 Slip Jigs: The Dragonfly, The Honey Bee

Tunes followed by an asterisk are ones I have heard at sessions, seen played live in concerts, or heard recorded on comercial recordings.

Hammilton, O'Driscol, and Creagh have IMHO the best ever recorded version of the Haunted House on their CD.

Also, don't confuse Broderick's Tattie Hokers with that tune of the same name by Packie Burns.