Questions on Fiddling

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Celticguitar

Post by Celticguitar »

I just got a new fiddle for Christmas. I play all sorts of music but i've grown up playing guitar, banjo, mandolin, piano etc. I can't read music but I can play by ear, and have already begun to pick up some jigs on the fiddle from a CD i have. But it seems slow and painful, does anyone have any tips on beginning? I could take lessons, but would prefer to learn myself, (I taught myself the instrauments i play now) thanks
Michael
Jo C
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jo C »

If you're playing jigs already, you're doing very well! It is a slow and painful process. If you just wanna play trad, you don't really need lessons, but you could get a friendly fiddler to give you a few tips on how to hold the bow (it doesn't really matter, but a better grip will give you a better sound). Other than that, just keep going. It sounds like you're doing really well. :smile:
Jo.
Celticguitar

Post by Celticguitar »

Thanks Jo, not only encouraging but right now any information is good! Anybody else please send your tips!
Michael
energy

Post by energy »

Well, maybe this won't be much help, but...

If I were you, I'd take lessons.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
DerryMan

Post by DerryMan »

As I've written in other threads, the best thing for anyone learning by ear is to download an ABC music format player like AbcMus from
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11382/abc.htm#abc

Download 1600+ tunes from the same site. Links to other sites will give you all sorts of goodies - Shetland fiddle for example.

It's best to download all of the tunes in one 300k zip file (player is about 6M) then sort them out to your taste after. Slow the tunes down and work on melodious hornpipes and jigs. Just remember, there are lots of people like me who are fed up to the back teeth listening to endless reels and that feckin' O'Neill's march.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Michael...since you don't read music, but play by ear, you might enjoy learning fiddle tunes from a different format. Try this one and see what you think:

http://mytunebook.de/r_clarke/tunes/xtr ... rareel.htm

You'll need a midi sequencer, but it's a free download, which allows you to not only download the entire tune in seconds, but to hear the tunes in any key, or at any rythm. You can tune to your fiddle and slow it down while playing along. I've learned dozens of new tunes on the fiddle this way. Ornamentation is in there too.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

You might consider taking lessons via internet at http://www.scoiltrad.com - ideal for learning Irish traditional music.
Susan
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2003-01-19 05:51, DerryMan wrote:
As I've written in other threads, the best thing for anyone learning by ear is to download an ABC music format player like AbcMus from
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-11382/abc.htm#abc
Hmm.... was this intended to be a joke? If so please disregard what I'm about to say.

Learning from ABC/midi tells you nothing about how to play music other than the approximate melody of the tune. You'll learn ziltch about rhythm, phrasing, micro-phrasings and other stuff that are essential to good Irish trad music.

You'll be better off learning tunes off a CD of a good player or a decent player live if you are really earnest in learning by ear.