What would you do if this walked into your session?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
iriSHred
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What would you do if this walked into your session?

Post by iriSHred »

I've been going back and forth about posting this, but I decided I'd throw it up and let you decide what you think.

For years I've been a rock/heavy metal guitarist and within the past year I've delved into irish trad and now play tinwhistle and, very soon, uilleann pipes.

That said, I've naturally messed around with playing some irish tunes on guitar as well.

While admittedly unorthodox :D , I've managed to take this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghcn-vypkJI

and turn it into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIHar8yDso

I've learned quite a few other tunes in a similar fashion.

What do you think? Good? Bad? Ugly? I'd like some honest feedback. Thanks!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What would you do if this walked into your session?

Post by benhall.1 »

There's quite a lot that could be said about that, but I'll start the ball rolling with just a comment or two:

Firstly, it depends what you want to do with that sort of music. I think you've got the spirit of the original in your playing, and it's quite impressive. If you're doing that for your own fun, then great. If the question is the one which is in the thread title, then I don't think the instrument is appropriate for a session. I can imagine myself playing in a gigging band with someone playing like that, though.

The other thing that occurs to me off the top of my head is: it's quite fast. The original clip is much faster than I normally like. However, given that they are who they are, they are able to get away with it. Played that speed on electric guitar it sounds a bit manic. Your technique is good enough that you're not actually rushing - I just don't think that impression (being manic) is avoidable at that speed on that instrument. I'd be interested to hear a take from you on accoustic guitar and a fair bit slower. It's good to be able to play the same stuff at a wide range of tempos anyway.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Basically ... very nice ... I'd like to hear it without the backing track, or at least with the backing muted a bit, the audio on the clip sounds "cluttered", difficult to differentiate the instruments ... certainly a concept worth pursuing :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Denny

Post by Denny »

perhaps switching to banjo would be a small step in a vague general direction kink of way :lol:

as usual I agree with Ben, session no, ya need a band w/mikes & amps for your sound

technique :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Denny wrote:perhaps switching to banjo would be a small step in a vague general direction kink of way :lol:
Never thought of a banjo as "kinky"...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Played that speed on electric guitar it sounds a bit manic.
I find myself agreeing with that. And yet oddly enough that is the same speed as on the original clip. Just goes to show we must pick our battles. Great playing, BTW. :)
fearfaoin wrote:
Denny wrote:perhaps switching to banjo would be a small step in a vague general direction kink of way :lol:
Never thought of a banjo as "kinky"...
I do all the time. Kink 'em enough, and you get this:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
iriSHred

Post by iriSHred »

Thanks for the responses guys. The thread title was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, as I know that it wouldn't be appropriate for a session.

Right now I'm just kind of noodling around and enjoying doing so. I do play traditional instruments as well so perhaps down the road I'll fuse everything into a gigging band. As I said, I know it's quite unorthodox but I just figured I'd post it since I'm new to the forum.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

And not a bad introduction at all.

But just to let you know that if you show up at our sesh with that axe, we'll firmly insist you put it back in the case and then we'll usher you to the bar and sit you on a stool. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
iriSHred

Post by iriSHred »

Fair enough :wink:

I'll bust out my whistle and pipes instead, god knows Boston sessions need a piper. I haven't seen one yet in my travels...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

iriSHred wrote:Fair enough :wink:

I'll bust out my whistle and pipes instead, god knows Boston sessions need a piper. I haven't seen one yet in my travels...
Odd. You'd think Boston of all places would have pipers. Here in Minneapolis/St. Paul (with our contrary climate no less) we've got a good few of 'em. But on the other hand they don't come to sessions like clockwork, either. Maybe pipers just spend more time at home in Boston, too...
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Actually, if you ever do go to St. Paul with that rig, look up Brian Barnes. He'd probably love to get his Telecaster out for a few tunes with you. :-)

Well-done!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

iriSHred wrote:Fair enough :wink:

Boston actually has an uilleann pipers' club. Might be on Facebook. There are a good many/good pipers in the area.
As for pipers showing up at sessions, well...sessions are filled with people playing faster than they should. For many (me inc.) speed can be the death of good piping.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tommykleen wrote:For many (me inc.) speed can be the death of good piping.
You're just complaining because you can't keep up with them on the regs. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
tommykleen wrote:For many (me inc.) speed can be the death of good piping.
You're just complaining because you can't keep up with them on the regs. :lol:
Hell, you should see him when he doesn't play a particular tune: he plays the regs as a backup instrument. Pretty darn decently, too. In fact he was doing that last Sunday. My only beef with that was that we already had a bouzouki, a cittern, and - count 'em - three guitars, and all of us would-be backup players. Enter the regs. At least I had the good manners to refrain from playing my cittern in a hell like that. I'm relegated to the position of taking up the slack when a tune's harmonic contour is too challenging for the others with stringy things in their laps. "Okay, li'l backupsters: Here's how you do it. Listen and learn." That's kind of an uphill battle with some of those people, though, to be honest. You give it to 'em on a silver platter, and what do they take home? Bupkes. :wink:

Really, we're getting enough backup players now that I absolutely think the same "one bodhran at a time and take your turn" rule should apply to the gizmologists as well (and I am trying to lead by example on this very idea), with the codicil "If you don't know the tune - or if you know it but haven't worked out what to do with it - have the good grace to not make an embarrassment of yourself, and an irritation to us." I have already put forth this opinion and have run into some objection on the notion, but I have every confidence that the wisdom of it will eventually be seen and taken to heart. Chippin' away. I suppose they say it's easier for me because at least I have flute to fall back on.